FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Possible Overheating

Kestrel
Okay, so here's what's been going on. Lately my computer has been spontaneously restarting. I figured this was overheating, so I took it to the guy that built the computer in the first place to install a water cooling system. Once he got it all installed and tried to start it up, no picture would show up on the monitor. So he sent it to the place he got all the parts from and they say that the video card was messed up while the water cooling was being put in, that there was no overheating in the first place. If this is the case, then why was my computer restarting constantly BEFORE the water cooling was put in (and the video card got messed up)? Could it still have been overheating? If it was then I shouldn't have anything to worry about once the water cooling is properly installed. Anyone have any possible ideas on other problems that could have caused my computer to spontaeously restart? I don't believe it was a virus or trojan, I checked for both with many different scanners.
gonzo
first if it had overheated.. toast time. irreperable damage.

what have you done to scan for malware?
Kestrel
I don't believe that I've searched for anything other than Spyware, Virii, and Trojans. But I don't know why the damage would be irrepairable since my computer would restart when it overheated (or when I thought it did) to reduce the heat of it.
JustaMin
gonzo wrote:
first if it had overheated.. toast time. irreperable damage.

Not really, most PC BIOS's are set to restart at certain CPU and Chipset temps precisely for the reason that it avoids irreparable damage.

I would first of all check the temps, if that isn't the cause check the voltage of the rails of the PSU.
grantmaster
Do you know any of the details of the motherboard? Also could you post the operating system and update status.

Some older (6 months in computer age) motherboards had problems with some of the updates in Windoze XP and exhibited them in the same manner

Computer Restarts by Itself

There are articles and patches on the Microsoft site, search and you shall find
gh0stface
You might have a bad stick of RAM too which may be causing you all this dilema. If you have an extra stick of it around swap it out to see if you still get the restarts and what not. Otherwise, if you don't have an extra stick, you could always run memtest.

Get the program here.
Kestrel
I don't know much about the motherboard. But I have 2 gigs of RAM, 4x 512 sticks. I'll test out that when I get my PC back if I still have this problem. As for the Windows, I use XP Home Edition, SP2, should be updated as it gets.
Naif
What is it that made you think your computer is restarting due to overheating in the first place? Overheating halts the computer, it doesnt restart it. You scanned your system with an antivirus etc and indeed there must have been no viruses or similar malware found on your system but did you do a registry check? Errors in registry can cause an unsual restart or the BSOD. And water cooling solutions are used when you overclock your pc. You dont need a water cooling solution to keep the temps of your system at a normal temperature. And water cooling solutions are risky. Proper care should have been taken to avoid leaks.
JustaMin
Naif wrote:
What is it that made you think your computer is restarting due to overheating in the first place? Overheating halts the computer, it doesnt restart it.

Almost all BIOS are set by default to reboot the PC at high CPU Core, Chipset and sometimes case temps.
Kestrel
Naif wrote:
What is it that made you think your computer is restarting due to overheating in the first place? Overheating halts the computer, it doesnt restart it. You scanned your system with an antivirus etc and indeed there must have been no viruses or similar malware found on your system but did you do a registry check? Errors in registry can cause an unsual restart or the BSOD. And water cooling solutions are used when you overclock your pc. You dont need a water cooling solution to keep the temps of your system at a normal temperature. And water cooling solutions are risky. Proper care should have been taken to avoid leaks.

What made me think this is because I could find no other logical reasons why the system would have been rebooting randomly. And it would normally happen whilst I was playing a game (World of Warcraft in this situation). And usually only while the computer was processing a lot of information at one time.
ashok
May be RAM problems? If u have a damaged RAM, sometimes when programs request memory, and if the operating system assigns memoryaddresses in the damaged portion to that program, conflicts occur and the program may terminate unprecedently. some times, such assignment results in OS resource conflicts and may result in unnotified restart to maintain the system stability.
ashok
Just try to switch ur RAM card with any of ur friend's. Then start as many programs as u can, leave them running in the background, and start a memory consuming 3D game (just toasting the processor and memory card) if no restart occurs, then switch back to ur RAM card, follow the same steps and see if it restarts. If yes, then RAM needs to be changed.
JustaMin
ashok wrote:
Just try to switch ur RAM card with any of ur friend's. Then start as many programs as u can, leave them running in the background, and start a memory consuming 3D game (just toasting the processor and memory card) if no restart occurs, then switch back to ur RAM card, follow the same steps and see if it restarts. If yes, then RAM needs to be changed.

It may be easier just to run memtest first and see what that throws up.
Naif
Ok, if under heavy load your computer restarts or hangs up, then its possible this can be an overheating problem. To confirm this, this is what you have to do:

1. Download a temperature monitor which refreshes at a short interval
2. Download, install and run Prime95. Its an application which will generate a load on your processor. See how high the temp. of your processor goes and if whether the system hangs or restarts. If the system hangs/restarts at a given temperature, post the temperature here.

If so your system is hanging because of high temperatures, using a water cooling solution to keep the temps low would be kind of extreme (atleast in my opinion). Like I wrote in my previous post, liquid cooling is used for systems where one or more components have been overclocked.

There are some more things I want to post here but I will later after you do what I asked you to and post your results.
sprk3
Dear friend
I feel water cooling is risky.Try the option of room AC or open the cabin door and use external table fan.I feel system with your configuration need external cooling.
Kestrel
sprk3 wrote:
Dear friend
I feel water cooling is risky.Try the option of room AC or open the cabin door and use external table fan.I feel system with your configuration need external cooling.

I tried using a 24 in. fan, but it didn't help that much. It would give me slightly more time before my computer restarted itself, but still wouldn't solve the problem.

*edit* I must say that my computer also had 5 fans on it in the first place. And here are the specs as far as I know:

2 gigs of RAM
256 MB Video Card (GeForce I believe)
250 GB Hard Drive
3.4 ghz intel processor
gh0stface
Do you have any thermal paste underneat your Heatsink/Fan? Too little and it won't conduct heat very much. Too much and it will insulate the heat.

Make sure you use a quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 and that the heatsink/fan is firmly touching your CPU.