FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to Play Minesweeper?

aalmighty
I've had my friend and his girlfriend come over to study and she was chilling out on my computer, and started playing minesweeper. She could finish a game in like 15 seconds, Cool or what? And I could never even finish a game, let alone have a good time.

Anyone Have some idea how to play the game? It looks addictive though.
Kelcey
there are random mines... there's no real structural way to play. Though the numbers if I remember correctly, tell you how many mines are around that tile. I'm PROBABLY wrong, hehe.
deviant
Kelcey wrote:
there are random mines... there's no real structural way to play. Though the numbers if I remember correctly, tell you how many mines are around that tile. I'm PROBABLY wrong, hehe.

yeah that's pretty much it...
nntien
aalmighty wrote:
I've had my friend and his girlfriend come over to study and she was chilling out on my computer, and started playing minesweeper. She could finish a game in like 15 seconds, Cool or what? And I could never even finish a game, let alone have a good time.

Anyone Have some idea how to play the game? It looks addictive though.

Wow! I think your friend is a master of MinesWeeper, she plays this game in fifteen minutes, it's very wonderful! I will try it and take new strong score in the future!

Ah! I heard that some people could use cheat programs we can search many kinds in the Internet. These programs take your PC's time to be too long, so you can play this game in only five seconds! And another way you can show all of mines in this game by using a cheat program read memory of MinesWeeper! It's OK!

Search some cheat programs and Try it! Cool!
gh0stface
I didn't know how to play Minesweeper at all. However, one day in class while I was messing around with it, a lightbulb went off in my head. The realization on how to play it was like being immersed in cold water. Fun game once you know how to play!

And yes, the numbers indicate how many mines they are touching.
clip
yep, that's really it and please note that you have to flag a box if you think that it's a mine. And you can press the left and right mouse buttons at the same time on a number connected to mines.

Example, If you have a number 1 beside flagged a mine, all boxes in a 3x3 area without mines will be uncovered. Pretty useful! If you need a screenshot of the game, I can let you see it! And actually, you can finish the beginnier mode in 3-5 secs only. It's based on luck and fast thinking. Very Happy
SilverDogg
this is to be honest a very very simple game.

on the easiest it is actually possible to get 1-2 seconds only. i got 3 as best (but since then the computer has been formatted 3 times -_-)
on the second difficulty i got around 40 secs, but could probably go down to around 20 secs if played correctly and you get lucky.
the last one i think i beat in.. 2 mins? probably possible to get under one minute though.

damn, have to start playing this game again now because of that!

btw, i dont know if these pics help, but check them out.

text says "thats a mine"

text says "flag mine with rightclick, then click both left and right at the same time to see possible mines"

text says "since there was only one mine, the fields next to it will disappear. rightclick on the 2 and the field right of the 3 will go down a bit. this means that there is a mine. rightclick on it and you have flagged yet another mine. good luck with the rest"

hmm.. might not be all that helpful, but yea you can try atleast ;D
SilverDogg
since im such a nice guy (no, really! i am!), i give you a video that might help you somewhat ;D.

now, i worked pretty hard on this, so WATCH IT DAMMIT!!! ;P

if something is still unclear, do tell =)

www.silverdogg.frihost.net/roj.avi <-- thats the movie you all wanna watch!

edit: hmm.. no its not. for some reason its the wrong movie O_o. *looking into it*

edit2: noticed that i uploaded an old movie Wink. no wonder it was so small ;P. anyway, if you click the link now you should get the right movie. beware though, its not for you 56k-users, since its about 3mb. have fun ^_^
dcshoes23
wow, there is so much more to minesweeper than i ever new about, thanks for all this info, now i know what the numbers mean Very Happy

Thanks
SilverDogg
dcshoes23, check out the movie Wink. it shows pretty much everything ;D.
icedGEEK
I realise the game does involve some sort of skill ; but I tend to blindly click and hope for the best.

Solitaire however... is so addictive.
guissmo
Damn!

I finish the 10x10 puzzle at 87 seconds at the least.

Right now I'm getting 90, 100, 110...

I don't want to be a master of this game.
I just play it when I'm bored!
afux
thanks for all
now i understand the game,too
before i couldn't play even till the third mineless field
now i finish the game sometimes
thanks again Embarassed
failed14
I love this game. Once I learned to play I was hooked. No one I know can play that game and they watch me saying how do you play this? It's sorta hard for me to explain because it all seems very simple. You got a number, thats how many bombs around it. Flag them off and go from there. Not too bad eh? Well my best times are: beginner- 6sec. ; intermediate- 54sec. ; and expert- 117sec. I play this all the time so hopefully my times will improve!
madsencarl
I used to be a gun at minesweeper, and gradually started to hone my skills at solitaire. Got bored though.
The world records at minesweeper (there are videos on the net) are clearly faked. The guy puts flags where there is no way he could possibly know there are mines, and in the end, he's right. Fakeo!
My best times:
Beginner: 8
Intermediate: 44
Expert: forgot (laptop reload courtesy of gay tech center at school)
SilverDogg
i had some pretty friggin good times, but i had to format my computer =(

i had like
beginner: 7 secs
intermediate: 29-35 secs
expert: ~125 secs
d-hunter
Thanks for your help. I never knew how to flag mines before. I never knew what the numbers meant either. I'm gonna play it now and try out some new techniques.
nntien
["Kelcey"]there are random mines... there's no real structural way to play. Though the numbers if I remember correctly, tell you how many mines are around that tile. I'm PROBABLY wrong, hehe.[]

Yes, I think so. Mines is random in this games. However, we can open mystery mines in some rules. And we interfere exactly in a tile!
Thanks!
BugBear
d-hunter wrote:
Thanks for your help. I never knew how to flag mines before. I never knew what the numbers meant either. I'm gonna play it now and try out some new techniques.

You don't HAVE to flag the mines tho because once you uncover all the other one's it flags them by itself....... although it's helpful to keep you from clicking on them on accident Very Happy and lets you see the general picture

HEH a game i never got close to finishing is Spider Solitaire[url=ajdskfasjgias gaisngoadsfg afdsgoifjg a odf gjoeirnaer oge rgoqeirng erog neri eoringqoei goeirng oargo dfijg oeiner ghoaifg adofigho eri goahrfgo iadfhgoidahfg oire hnfodijagdofmgiero g oeih rgoii hdfgoisahdfoi gaioerg hoeringo idafnogaihdf ogdfihg orieoieng kdjsf laskdjf alsdkjf iasdlfjw ielifjad lfisdjl f sdaifjsdifj dislfjiasd fidjfioaifhgo hroeaihgr esdjfklasd fjaksd fjiasglr iglisfdhglaisdf glarihg alihfsdgiaslf gjilrjalsdfhgla igfhlai dfg hlire ghliasdfngl aifgh alri hgtlafighliamfsdgliafg lahidsfgl ring lasifglasdfigh alsdihfg laisdfgnlirnglaif glaisfdhglirhg laiaksdfjglaskdjg askgj alfk gjiadf glrij jglaidfj glidfa gjladifj glaidfj glaidfjg lri jgidfalgiji ladfijg adfilgjdfligjladifjg dfliajg flidjg fdgijsngleri ge].[/url] Shocked
SilverDogg
BugBear wrote:
d-hunter wrote:

You don't HAVE to flag the mines tho because once you uncover all the other one's it flags them by itself....... although it's helpful to keep you from clicking on them on accident Very Happy and lets you see the general picture

HEH a game i never got close to finishing is Spider Solitaire Shocked

no you dont have to flag them, but it sure as hell helps you out a lot!

madsencarl, can you maybe link to these videos? if you know where to find them that is. would like to see them =)
Hanpusu-kun
SD shows his incredible "MS Röj" (Minesweeper on swedish) once again!
And I dotn understand anyhting as usual.
I have won the game like once... and it was the smallest window you could get XD
Garg
The left AND right simultanious click will save you loads of time... Basically, it'll divide the time you would take by at least 2 !

No joking...

Anyway, once you play quite a bit, you don't really think anymore.

What I hate though, is when there are two squares left on the expert level, and that there's no way to figure out which one is the mine ! It ruins the whole work you've done !!

Anyway, very addictive game!
SilverDogg
ok, once again i managed to get times at all of the games =)

beginner: 8 secs (can be improved slightly. the best time ive had here is still 3 secs ;P)
intermediate: 46 secs (this one i can improve greatly)
expert: 120 secs

makes a total of 154 secs, will try to get it down to atleast 120 before i give it a rest (which i never will) ;D
Blaster
It a very simple game.

I once got 13 seconds.

What you have to do is click anywhere.

then see if there is like a corner where a number that is already lit up is and double click on that number.

If it doesn't pop up it is a bomb. Put a flag there.

Bit not if you double click on a number and three light up find another spot and [size=24]DON'T[/size] click any of them.

Start and begginer and work your way up.[/b]
Kovalchuk17
was this like a game for the original computers? i mean it seems so simple to create yet so hard to beat.
Ofinet
woah lol. I figured out how to play it months ago, I mean really figured out. Then I started playing in computing class and got everyone else hooked. When people got bored I got them hooked on freecell. Razz ahhhh fads.
SilverDogg
woah O_O
found some pretty freaking sweet videos now, and they are... scary O_O

http://metanoodle.com/minesweeper/videos.html

check them out O_O
cokdes
I can finish the beginner game for only 9 seconds.. heheh
That game is pretty easy. Just look at the number shown in the box, that indicates how many bombs around. for example if the number is 1 so the bombs is just only one in 8 box around the number.

x-- xx-
-1- -2-
--- or ---

get it?
sangook
Rules
Use left mouse button to tread on a cell to expose it.
Use right mouse button to flag or unflag a cell as a mine.
You win by flagging all the mines correctly and exposing all other cells.
The top left counter shows mines to be flagged.
The top right counter shows the elapsed time in seconds.

Scoring
There are three difficulty levels, with the board size and number of mines increasing with difficulty level.
You are scored on how fast you can clear the board.
Your fastest time for each level is stored.
The Hall of Fame of the best times of the top 20 players on Alamak is also maintained.

Tips
Clicking the right mouse button on an exposed cell will "express" expose cells around it.