FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Annoying Torch

jarred89
Everytime I open My Computer it comes up with a folder and a torch and the torch moves side to side for about 30seconds - 1minute is there away i can stop it from doing it?
gonzo
sure change your torch back to an hourglass

but seriously ... there might be some sneaky applications running in the background.. call in the hijackthis people..
jarred89
When i open my computer there is no hardrives nothing there is like a torch and folder there and i have to wait about 30 seconds or 1 minute for it to get the hardrives and all
grantmaster
I hope I don't sound like I'm stating the obvious...

The explorer (My Computer) is looking for something. It could be that...

a. It is just trying to sort through a kazillion files to produce the index (listing). Might be time to back-up, and prune the hard drive.

b. It could have a file or drive listed in it's (Fast Find) index that is corrupt or missing. This could be something like a floppy disk or zip drive, or a hard drive that has been removed. If you are using Fast Find then you could delete and then rebuild the indexes. Personally I don't really like Fast Find and usually just turn it off and then delete the indexes.

c. It is sending a snapshot of your computer to a location on the internet, via spyware or some such. Download CCLeaner, clean, run a Spyware check from Panda, download Spywareblaster, install, run a virus check with whatever you have, you might also try the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool...

d. see what happens
jarred89
ok i did a virus and spyware scan today and some things come up. whats the links for the other things you suggested
technology.sponge
sounds like you hav 50 supagzillion files on ur pc or windows mite b having trouble recognzing ur hdd's/cdordvd drives

1)try turning off the indexing serice
2)if u hav millions of files on a hdd, try trashing the ennecessary files and burn rarely used files to cd, and uninstall any unwanted programs and run a registry cleaning program such as registry mechanic or norton windoctor
3)check the cables and connection to the cd/dvdrom drives and hdds
4)if using raid or sata, check the controller is working properly from inside device manager
jarred89
ok its fixed now i have no idea how its not taking ages to load now but whats indexing service?