FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Resolved]My Site Doesn`t Seem to be Pointing to Frihost

Kashinilaya
I got a new Domain, parked it at Frihost server (at least I think I did). changed the DNS settings to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net but I can`t see the home page as I modified it in my index.html in my site`s public folder (i.e. I still see the starting page as created by the Domain Registrar). Did I miss some step? Do I need to set anything else (besides DNS settings) to make it work? Please help me on that. Thanks.
dan751
What's the domain name, I'll see if I can't access. If you've set the DNS to the respective name servers and have parked it, everything should work, perhaps you need to wait a little bit before your new domain name propegates.Wink
Kashinilaya
dan751 wrote:
What's the domain name, I'll see if I can't access. If you've set the DNS to the respective name servers and have parked it, everything should work, perhaps you need to wait a little bit before your new domain name propegates.Wink

I just PMed you with the domain name. Please check it and let me know.
But let me make clear that the page I see when I access that page is (slightly) different than the one in the index.html file (I edited the original page).
Also please explain me what "propegate" means (I`m not too familiar with internet terms and English is not my first language). How long does it take for the domain name to propegate?
Simulator
Mine isn't working either

www.simandsim.com
Bondings
Simulator wrote:
Mine isn't working either

www.simandsim.com

It is now working for me.

@Kashinilaya: I can see 3 domains in your account, including your subdomain. The .com has the right nameservers (ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net) and seems to be working fine.
Daniel15
Quote:
Also please explain me what "propegate" means (I`m not too familiar with internet terms and English is not my first language). How long does it take for the domain name to propegate?

'Propagate' and 'Propagation' means that the main servers know about your domain and its nameservers. Basically, there are a few main servers for all top level domains (for example, there are main servers for .com, .net, .org, .com.au, etc...). Once all the main servers know what name server you use, your domain has propagated.

For example, look at the 'DNS Traversal' for frihost.com here: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/traversal.ch?domain=frihost.com&type=A . All the top level servers know that to get to frihost.com, they need to contact ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net. Therefore, we say that frihost.com has 'propagated'.

Propagation usually takes anywhere between 2-48 hours, depending on the registrar (where you bought your domain from).
Kashinilaya
Bondings, it only SEEMS to be working. If you click on the index.html file in the public folder of the .com site you`ll see some difference from when accessing the site through the brouser. Anyway, I think I`ll have to wait a little longer to be sure that the domain has propagated properly.

Daniel, thanks for the explanation.