FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

amazing fact

mustaq
Compact Discs

Compact discs read from the inside to the outside edge, the reverse of how a record works.

Computers

* ENIAC, the first electronic computer, appeared 50 years ago. The original ENIAC was about 80 feet long, weighed 30 tons, had 17,000 tubes. By comparison, a desktop computer today can store a million times more information than an ENIAC, and 50,000 times faster.
* From the smallest microprocessor to the biggest mainframe, the average American depends on over 264 computers per day.

The first e-mail was sent over the Internet in 1972.

Mobile (Cellular) Phones

As much as 80% of microwaves from mobile phones are absorbed by your head. Shocked

Nuclear Power

Nuclear ships are basically steamships and driven by steam turbines. The reactor just develops heat to boil the water.

Oil

The amount of oil that is used worldwide in one year is doubling every ten years. If that rate of increase continues and if the world were nothing but oil, all the oil would be used up in 400 years.

Radio Waves

Radio waves travel so much faster than sound waves that a broadcast voice can be heard sooner 18,000 km away than in the back of the room in which it originated.

Ships & Boats

* The cruise liner, Queen Elizabeth 2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.
* The world's oldest surviving boat is a simple 10 feet long dugout dated to 7400 BC. It was discovered in Pesse Holland in the Netherlands.

Skyscraper

The term skyscraper was first used way back in 1888 to describe an 11-story building. Laughing

Sound
Sound travels 15 times faster through steel than through the air.

Telephones

There are more than 600 million telephone lines today, yet almost half the world's population has never made a phone call.

Television

Scottish inventor John Logie Baird gave the first public demonstration of television in 1926 in Soho, London. Ten years later there were only 100 TV sets in the world.

Transistors

More than a billion transistors are manufactured... every second.

VCR's
The first VCR, made in 1956, was the size of a piano.

World Trade Center
The World Trade Center towers were designed to collapse in a pancake-like fashion, instead of simply falling over on their sides. This design feature saved hundreds, perhaps thousands of lives on Sept. 11, 2001, when they were destroyed by terrorists.
Well, nice to know... Rolling Eyes
budazz
did you really made this topic?
gonzo
budazz wrote:
did you really made this topic?

No, I did
yule
Is real? That really was too good.
Mark999111
That radio waves being absorbed into your head thing was scary
Sentenza
Oil is pretty relative... as we don't know much about the poles' underground. Many searchers say we'll burn everything we have in 50 years... as some others pretend it's in a couple of centuries.

Nice facts, good job Smile.
Nintendoboy
Here's some facts:
Cats cant taste sweet very well.
Kangaroos can't walk backwards.
you only breathe through one nostril at a time.
There are 26 letters in the alphabet (GASP!!!!!!!!) Razz
psycosquirrel
Only thing that suprised me was that a billion transistors are made every second. That seems odd...

You can breath in and out through both nostrils at the same time, Nintendoboy. I just did it.
frozenhead
WOW! Where did you get it? Shocked
godam64
i'm sure he get bunch of points from that post.
it's looks like spammy post.
a source link would be perfect Very Happy
gonzo
godam64 wrote:
i'm sure he get bunch of points from that post.
it's looks like spammy post.
a source link would be perfect Very Happy

http://dict.die.net/officious/

Razz
RedStar
I did not know that...crazy.
Sunny
mustaq...Use quote tags when you are copying and pasting stuff from sites.Otherwise the thread can be treated as spam and hence will be locked.
OnlyOneLife

* The cruise liner, Queen Elizabeth 2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.

LOL, MAN That is one sad ship.