FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Absence

ajoaktree
I may be double posting here, I'm not sure, but here goes. My question is for anyone who can delete accounts/sites of people who don't post for a while. I am currently in the military, and although I am not currently supposed to be, there is ALWAYS a possiblity that I may deploy for up to 6 months. If I were to e-mail one of you before I leave, if I ever get around to applying, would that be acceptable or would I get deleted? I guess I kinda need to know before I apply. I'm not rushing you, I am a patient man.
Bondings
6 months would certainly be too long. However, if you take a backup before you leave, then you can easily restore it afterwards. Wink
ajoaktree
Due to my lack of knowledge I need to ask another question. Is it possible to back up a forum such as PHPBB? On the same subject, I'm going to try to use Nuke for the site (I hope), is it possible to back that up?
gonzo
Would a fair solution be to 'suspend' his site without deleting the content?
n0obie4life
ajoaktree wrote:
Due to my lack of knowledge I need to ask another question. Is it possible to back up a forum such as PHPBB? On the same subject, I'm going to try to use Nuke for the site (I hope), is it possible to back that up?

Back it up through phpmyadmin. You have to backup the files yourself, then backup through phpmyadmin.

Also, do not listen to anyone who tells you to use the built in backup function. Trust me, you will regret.
mattd8752
yes, I have lost really popular forums with 200-300 members that way.
ajoaktree
OUCH!!!

I was about to ask if it was really that bad... I guess I dont have to.
mattd8752
no, you don't... I lost all of the memberships, I think I recovered about half of the posts, but they all had been changed to guest, since it tried to pull an avater, and huge loading times, I ended up deleting the rest for the sites own good.
ajoaktree
Can you suggest the best way to backup then. Is there a program that does it automaticaly or will I have to d/load them (the files) all manually?
n0obie4life
Go to phpmyadmin and backup there.

I told you.
mattd8752
yep, it isn't that manuel though, you can use the function in phpmyadmin, that one is safe Smile
ajoaktree
n0obie4life wrote:
Back it up through phpmyadmin. You have to backup the files yourself, then backup through phpmyadmin.

Also, do not listen to anyone who tells you to use the built in backup function. Trust me, you will regret.

Ok, Sorry, I was confused by the quoted text. It 'seemed' to contradict itself. But now I'm thinking that the "built in backup function" and the "backup through phpmyadmin" are different. At first I thought they were the same thing.
n0obie4life
They are different.

Login to phpmyadmin, click on the database you need to backup, go to export, then select "save as file", and hit download.
ajoaktree
Got it, thanks a million everyone! Especially you noobie4life!!!
ajoaktree
OK, one more dumb question... Embarassed In the request form for getting a site, it asks for a name... Do y'all want my real name or my username?
n0obie4life
Obviously we want your real name Razz
ajoaktree
Thanks again n0obie4life!
Bondings
mattd8752 wrote:
no, you don't... I lost all of the memberships, I think I recovered about half of the posts, but they all had been changed to guest, since it tried to pull an avater, and huge loading times, I ended up deleting the rest for the sites own good.

This really sounds like your forum account was completely removed, which I almost never do, and certainly not for inactivity.

Did you receive a pm about your account being removed due inactivity?

@gonzo, the problem with suspending an account is that all data is kept on the hard disk - which is quite full at the moment. Also, most people who go away for quite a long time, never return. I really can't do this.