FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which MP3 player to get?

snowboardalliance
I want to get a new MP3 player with a lot of memory sometime soon and I was wondering if anyone thinks the Creative Zen Touch 20GB is good. It has a high sound quality and its really cheap compared to like iPods. Any other suggestions?
Paul Knight
Whats the point in getting an mp3 player that stores so many songs?

I don't know about you, but I use my mp3 player whilst travelling,so I never usually use it for any more than a few hours max. Therefore you only really need 30-40 songs.

I use my PC to store and play the 5650 songs I have and I just update my MP3 player with songs about once a week when I want different ones to listen too.

Pointless in have 2 monster storage capacity machines. My Mp3 player is the size of a Clothes Peg which is Ideal.
Arnie
I have a 5GB Creative Zen Micro. I wonder if I'll ever get those 5GB filled.
snowboardalliance
I have almost 2 GB or music and I'd rather not get anything I'll ever need to upgrade. I figure I can use the extra space for backup. The good thing about the Creative though is it is about $200 and the battery lasts 24hours (even if that's wrong, its still close to that).
sendamusic
I think an apple iPod would be great!! It is probably the most commercial mp3 player, but maybe the best. The black U2 style is a nice version lol ...
bigdan
I'm looking for anything bar iPods Very Happy

Do you guys recommend the Sandisk MP3 players?
gonzo
buy an iPod if you want the stigma of being gay or a sheep... be sure to signup for AOL and myspace, too

If on the other hand you want the best by PERFORMANCE and FEATURES look no further than the:

X5

by cowan. Don't waste your money on any portable audio device that FAILS to provide support for LOSSLESS audio formats
wildfrick
the iPod is great, i think if you like music and good sound, it's worth to add a little bit money, and to buy something good...
about the size, and shape, you the only one should decide, every person like it defferently...
davmcmul
to all the people flogging i-pods, have you ever tried anything different?

anywho, i have owned my zen touch 20GB for almost a year now, i've dropped it several times, and it still works beautifully. Personally, i love it as a player, i certainly won't be getting anything else till this one rolls over and dies. ok, it sounds like you know most of the stuff about it already, but i'll give a run down of my own experience:

-> 24hrs battery life is in fact pretty acurate, although you should be careful to plug in the power source while transfering music (this can drain the battery otherwise)

24hrs battery life is in fact pretty acurate, although you should be careful to plug in the power source while transfering music (this can drain the battery otherwise) oh, and its still going strong as ever, a year later.

it is, as i mentioned before, durable, i once heard it suggested that it be used as a defence against muggers (similar to a brick), it is heavy, but not too heavy, solid if you ask me.

the interface can be tricky at first, but in my opinion, any buttons are going to need some getting used to...

you'll be wanting to buy new headphones if you like your music, but this is true of all the headphones that come included with players

sound quality is quite good (i use both high end earphones and high end speakers, it may differ with other equipment, and bitrate (mp3, around 250kbp usually))

if you ever need it to, it will go very loud indeed.

the software that comes with it isn't all that special, but it does the job

it comes with a nice leather case, which is for carrying only!, you want to get at the buttons/screen, take it out of the case!

if you have any strange queries, don't hesitate to ask!
Nintendoboy
Get iPod Nano
davmcmul
Nintendoboy wrote:
Get iPod Nano

emm, care to tell us why? i mean, im sure it has its redeming traits, but so far all ive heard is bad news about it:

its small, so? any mp3 player these days, will fit in your pocket, what's the point in highly expensive overkill?

its an ipod-> you are paying for an image.

</rant>
naz
Buy the Archos Jukebox Recorder series and get Rockbox
technology.sponge
OH NO!! don't get the zen touch
zen - crap battery lyf, no color screen, cant view fotof or vids, huge and heavy (built in lead sinkers?)

ipods are lighter, smaller, have 50% moire bat lyf, more cpcaity, beta software for syncing, color screen for fotos nd vids
davmcmul
technology.sponge wrote:
OH NO!! don't get the zen touch
zen - crap battery lyf, no color screen, cant view fotof or vids, huge and heavy (built in lead sinkers?)

ipods are lighter, smaller, have 50% moire bat lyf, more cpcaity, beta software for syncing, color screen for fotos nd vids

emm, no. a zen touch has a 24 hr battery life, that's pretty decent, and the battery doesn't die as fast as the ipod(as in it will hold more charges)

also, he wants an mp3 player, not a camera... and, what is bad about it being heavy, its slightly, slightly bigger than the ipod, and a lot more solid. ipod=>16hrs, zen touch=>24hrs... emmm, 50% more? 50% less more like..... and, the capacity depends on a product, a 40GB ipod has more capacity than a 20GB zen touch, but a 40GBzen touch has more capacity than a 20GB ipod.... why dol you want beta software? its just meant to play music.....
mustaq
i suggest you buy a best good company if he charge you more also bcose if you but other company which is low quality it will keep on trouble for you
netjunk
I use a built in MP3 player in my phone. I have a nokia 6230i. The sound quality is great through the headphones but the built in speaker isn't that good. You can look at the specs at http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,69498,00.html
avk
I too have a mobile phone with a built in MP3 player and it is cool.

Or else u can take a MP4 player too
It is cool
Hikaru
I have a DVD player that I ordered from Japan when I saw it on a Japanese magasine that I subscript. It's about the same size as the iPod Video, has 40 GB storage, plays DVD and High-Definition TV (.ts extensions) up to 1990x1880 resolution. Nothing beats Japan.
davmcmul
well, just because its relevant, im going to dig this topic out of page two Very Happy

anywho, my creative Zen Touch 20Gb broke recently, a harddisk problem. I'm gonna tell you what happened so you can understand how damn good creative service is.

i emailed them explaining the problem in detail

i got a reply same day, telling me it was faulty and guaranteeing a replacement.

a short time later i recieved my customer number and an address to send my broken player to. I snet it the next day

exactly a week later, i am holding my brand new player. i suspect that it is actually a 40Gb one in disguise (it insists it only holds 20Gb but i know better!)

anywho, i think that's pretty damn good, its possible ill buy the iaudio X5 when this one breaks, but hey, maybe creative will release something more apealing between now and then Very Happy
mtoni
It just depends on how frequently you use it...
is it for long trips or just for short going to school/work trip...

if so i would recommend a harddisk player for the longtrips (I worship the iRiver players) and for the short trips a flash player or mini harddisk player.

I would recommend the branches iRiver and iAudio...
These 2 always have good customer support, firmware upgradeable players and a lot of good specs and superb quality.

If you don't want bother yourself with looking for a good player just buy an ipod
Talk2Tom11
All I have to say is that the iAudio x5 is the best mp3/video/text/picture player ever. Forget mac. Way to expensive. The iAudio is 30Gigs for under $300. 14hour constant play battery life. 12 minute anti-shock. Can't beat this player. Definitely take a look at it.