FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ram Question

Jonkeydonkey
I have a laptop and it needs more RAM. If you were to go get it at a store, does it add it to your current RAM , or does it replace it? It seems logical that it replaces it. Is it easier to get it done professionally or to do it yourself?? And if it is easier to do it yourself, how do you do it safely???
thanx much
n0obie4life
It depends on the amount of slots you have left. If you have left with 1 or more slots, you'll normally add it. Otherwise, you will replace it Wink

Erm, about that. You'll have to wait. Although I'm sure you open up your PC and slot it in..
GrimReaper77
Having never actually owned a laptop (I need a gaming rig), I may not be the best source for this info, but I've seen enough laptop's being repaired at my workplace to know that most laptops come with one dimm (ram stick) and have a free slot available.

It depends on your model of laptop, the year it was made, and the current amount of ram. The advice I usually give is to return to the point of purchase and ask them for advice. The company/store would have the info for you (if you have an available slot, what type of ram will work), and should have a technician on hand to open up the laptop and install it correctly.

If the laptop is under warranty, it is highly advisable to follow this route. If not, and you feel comfortable enough or know someone who does - give it a go!
johnjames
RAM has come down in cost so much (even for laptops) that it may make sense to remove the old RAM and put in much denser RAM into both slots. This will extend the life of the laptop and is the cheapest performance boost you cna buy.
technology.sponge
Quote:
I have a laptop and it needs more RAM. If you were to go get it at a store, does it add it to your current RAM , or does it replace it? It seems logical that it replaces it. Is it easier to get it done professionally or to do it yourself?? And if it is easier to do it yourself, how do you do it safely???
thanx much

in MOST ram upgrades, the new stick of ram replaces th old one. SOME laptops may have 2 slots for the ram; if so, ur lucky.

It isn't dat hard to diy, but there are many things that can go wrong so unless ur a pro, i'd suggest having it done by a pc tech. they prolly can get u the stick of ram cheaper than u buying it urself - they purchase in bulk 4 discounts
riyadh
It is better to give your laptop to professional for upgrading cos a laptop is not like a normal PC so u don know when it may go bonkers. Laptop is usually harder to upgrade then a noraml PC. I have some friends who to increase thier har disk space on their laptops but I can't be done on laptops. So u better hand it over to the pros.
raver
there is also a problem with upgrading your ram...if they just add another RAM next to your old one and the new ram is much better then the old one (higher memory, another frequency) the 2 of them might go out of sync...in which case you will discover that your laptop will work much slower then before. So i recomend replacing entirely your memory.Ahh..your computer`s memory not your own Very Happy
toshlad
Replacing memory in a laptop is very easy and does not require a tech (I am a Tech)

If you take your Laptop to somewhere like PC World or Bestbuy etc, they should be able to identify what memory you need. The correct type anyway.

They will also be able to tell you how many free slots you have and what you can add. If you get a good female friend to take it in and play dumb, they should find this out for you without charging a penny. Smile

Once you have this info, you can then look for cheaper memory from your local friendly tech and you'll be able to fit it yourself. This is done by flipping your laptop over, you'll see a flap on the bottom that usually has a small screw holding it shut. Open this and fit the memory, job done!

I hope this helps.
pccustoms
Also, instead of buying laptop RAM (sodimm) from a local store, where the price is usually jacked up, try ordering online from www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com

Also make sure you check the rating of your current RAM via CPU-Z to see what the FSB is on it (ex: DDR400) and when you purchase your new RAM make sure to buy a stick with the same DDR rating.

Make sure you buy SODIMM and NOT dimm.
Arnie
You don't need to take your PC to any store to identify what RAM you need. The above mentioned free program CPU-Z can do that for you. Actually putting the stuff in can be more difficult, you might want to have a professional do that.