FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Powerbook G4 Vs Powermac G5 thoughts

bjwok
hi folks,

i am about to start a graphic desing course and will no doubt be needing to switch from pc to mac, so i am thinking about getting a powerbook for the following reasons:

a. industry standard is mac
b. desktops are noisy
c. notebooks are easliy transported

just for curiosity, i am currently running a p4, 1.4 with 640mb RAM and i record music and do a lot of video editing. my question is more along the lines of:

is a G4 powerbook going to cut the mustard in terms of the things i am already doing with my current p4 desktop machine or should i be looking at keeping with the whole desktop thing, yet going to a G5?

any thoughts would be appreciated!
Donutey
For raw power with video editing a dual core P4 would be the best...

Heres a good benchmark/review http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html but unfortunately no G4 comparison.
bananaphone
Donutey wrote:
For raw power with video editing a dual core P4 would be the best...

But it is being used for Graphics Design (totally different). If you have to move around a lot then get a G4 with a massive screen. Otherwise get a G5 - which is faster! If you can afford it - get both!
bjwok
hi bananaphone,

i think i will probably go for the G4 with the 17inch screen - that should satisfy my needs when i am away from the desk. I have a 24inch dell widescreen that i will hook it up to when at home so that should be sweet...

i want to steer away from the whole desktop thing for the sake of portability, otherwise it would be a G5 hands down...

hi Donutey.

what you say is correct, yet as bananaphone correctly pointed out, the industry standard for graphic design is mac... cheers for the benchmark link anyway...