FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FireFox Browser takes a Quantum Leap - your thoughts?

deanhills
Looks as though FireFox browser has got faster with taking a "quantum leap" and going in all out competition with Chrome and other major browsers. Like there are serious changes in the last updates, such as speed is much faster, the design has been given a major face lift, the logo looks a bit different and "brighter", there are some modifications in the address line etc. Here's more info about the FireFox changes. Looks as though FireFox is going in direct "competition" with Chrome as it makes a few comparisons in upmanship vs Chrome:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

I'm using Firefox on my laptop as my default browser when I'm travelling- and I'm in travel mode right now, so it was easy to compare the speed with what it was before the updates to when the updates kicked in earlier in the week. It definitely is much faster for me. At home when I'm not travelling I work with Chrome as my default browser, however also use FireFox as backup browser. So I'm quite used to Chrome, and I think Firefox's claim that it's faster than Chrome may be right.

There is an issue about compatibility though with add ons. I only had three add ons with my FireFox - one was a color picker, the other showed the country flag of the Website I was surfing and a third helped me download YouTube tutorials. The Downloader survived the change, but looks as though the two other add ons are gone. Guess they'll be easy to replace however. The one for country flags I don't really care about, but I often use the color picker for when I work with GIMP and artwork for Websites, so will need to replace it.

Note later: Was able to replace both add ons easily. In both cases they were different add ons doing the same thing.
amagard
Excellent summary about the new Firefox, deanhills !
I installed it yesterday on my home computer and indeed it is faster and less resource hungry. Whether it already beats Google Chrome is debated in the internet, but Mozilla is on the right track to re-gain market share.
One great feature certainly is that Firefox makes better use of multiple processors.

Changing add-on development to WebExtensions technology was probably a good move as well, but of course has frustrated a lot of add-on developer and users of add-ons not working anymore ( nice rant here ).
The good news about this move is that add-ons now can be developed browser indenpendent and thus Chrome extensions for instance have a good change to work in Firefox. One of the add-ons important to me is Greasemonkey to run Javascript code on web sites locally, but I ran into some issues with it using the new Firefox 57. Luckily Tampermonkey, the equivalent originally developed for Google Chrome, now works as well in Firefox and nicely filled the gap for me.
Ankhanu
Interesting that Firefox is making strides; I havenít even considered it as a possibility for several years. I was a primary Firefox user for several years, even after Chrome was establishing itself as the superior browser... perhaps I should give it another look.

That said, Iíve moved over to being a Safari user in the past three months or so. While itís not an option for most people on a computer, being Mac only, itís one out with compelling security features in the past revision or so; it prevents tracking cookies from properly tracking your behaviour, and sandboxes websites, for example. Apple reports it as being significantly faster than other browsers, but, of course, one should always approach such claims by a producer with skepticism Razz

I havenít noticed any big changes in browser speed between it and Chrome, or Chrome or IE on Windows. Really, I find the major slowing points are data transfer, not the browser rendering engine. For me the interface, features, and stability are far more important than rendering speeds. I should revisit Firefox and see if it can edge out Safari for features and interface.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:

I havenít noticed any big changes in browser speed between it and Chrome, or Chrome or IE on Windows. Really, I find the major slowing points are data transfer, not the browser rendering engine. For me the interface, features, and stability are far more important than rendering speeds. I should revisit Firefox and see if it can edge out Safari for features and interface.
Would be great if you could check it out and look forward to your feedback, since you have an extra dimension in browser experience. So far I'm very happy but there may be things I've missed. I'm just happy FireFox never gave up and is at least giving Google Chrome something to think about - like put them on their toes.
Ankhanu
Like you, Iím kinda in ďtravelĒ mode for a while; away from home for the week, home on weekends, which will limit my time to run some desktop tests. Iím pretty much just on my iPad Pro through the week (outside of my Windows work system when working), which means no desktop browser Wink Iíll try to remember to download and test when Iím home.
standready
Ankhanu wrote:
Interesting that Firefox is making strides; I havenít even considered it as a possibility for several years. I was a primary Firefox user for several years, even after Chrome was establishing itself as the superior browser... perhaps I should give it another look.

Me too! I think I will try the old fox once again.
Thanks Dean for the summary.
andy26
It was due another big update. I use Opera, Firefox and chrome on a regular basis, i actually really like the way that opera keeps all of your last tabs open when closing and opening the app, and Opera has been my goto browser on my laptop alot. i tend to use firefox on my pc and then use chrome for work on my PC. But with the new update to firefox i was abit taken back with the new look but ultimately i like it! they have done a great job.
jestoy0514
I had it with my Linux Machine a few a days ago and I believe I had it also on my windows machine a haven't check yet. I admit it looks a little faster to me though I am not a professional to benchmark those kind of things. With look and feel, it feels like it almost look a lot like opera to me. I have been using 3 browsers for quite sometimes now (Chrome, Firefox and Opera). Whatever the reason that each browser still want to compete with each other will be a good thing for a user like me. It's not like a sin to have those 3 web browsers and even four (Chromium) to use at will. Nevertheless thanks and 2 thumb-ups for the developers who have really put their hearts and soul to what they doing to provide us your everyday technology in palm of our hand.
amagard
jestoy0514 wrote:
It's not like a sin to have those 3 web browsers and even four (Chromium) to use at will.

Would be better to need only one browser satsifying all needs.
First of all: you can configure only one standard browser in your operating system which fires up when you click a link elsewhere, may be in an email for instance. If this is not the browser you want at that moment you have to switch ... extra effort ! Running multiple browser in parallel eats up resources like memory on your system.
Of course there are gadgets out there allowing to decide which browser to pick when you click a link. On Androind this is standard behavior, unless you clicked 'always use that' in the past.

The worse part: some web pages do not work in all browsers. And sometimes it is not obvious. You don't run into some error saying 'didn't work', instead the behavior of the web pages might be different on different browser.

But, to be realistic: there is never one ideal tool perfect for all tasks. I use multiple browser as well, mainly Firefox and Chrome, sometime Edge on Windows, rarely Opera or Vivaldi.
deanhills
Agreed @Amagard. I use both Chrome and Firefox as well as have Safari although I only use Safari to check what new Websites look like in different browsers. I also use Internet Explorer as some of my applications need IE. I use Firefox more than I do Chrome as it has some add ons that I can only have with Chrome if I registered with Chrome and signed in during each session. I don't want to have an account with Chrome as I don't want Chrome to track my surfing more than it already is doing. Since I'm using multiple browsers I don't want to log into any of them when I'm on the Internet.
Da Rossa
I myself have felt a huge blow. Turns out, out of the box it seems Chrome has been performing better than Firefox lately. But I have a couple of extensions that accompanied me since 2007, which boosted my productivity. One of them was Tab Mix Plus, and, since the framework has changed drastically, the developer, which seems to be a single guy, seems to be feeling it a daunting task to "port it" to the new webextension type. He's even said himself "there is no such thing as 'port it'", and I understand. Now my web browsing is hurt.

I hope this investment of Mozilla pays out on the mid and long run.