FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shamir's Secret Sharing Scheme

SonLight
The goal is to split up the keys to access a message, so that the pieces can be stored in several places, and it will require a set number of pieces to decrypt the message. In general, one wants to provide n (number of pieces), any t (threshold) of which will be sufficient to decrypt the message. Wiki has a nice article describing the method.

There are command line tools at http://point-at-infinity.org/ for the Shamir's Secret Sharing Scheme, but they (apparently) haven't been updated since 2006. It is available as a Debian or Ubuntu package ssss, which provides the two commands ssss-split and ssss-combine.

I wondered if anyone here had used this or a similar package. It seems to me that a lot of utility functions are needed to make this convenient for daily use. It would be nice to have this method conveniently available to protect personal information on a computer, and potentially also scalable for things like legal escrow functions.
Simonjw
You could theoretically set something up like this with Etherium Smart Contracts like many other projects have started doing with their recent ICO's.

I actually think there is an ICO or a number of ICO's that are targeting escrow based transactions. So this may be available to the general public very soon.