FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Just another 10 year hacker!





chasbeen
It's been a blast!!!
Sound off your handle and year you first joined and why!

I joined in 2006 and I was grateful that free serving was available. I still use it today on little projects I put on Github (Programmers display what they can do)
deanhills
Chasbeen! WOW! All the golden oldies coming out of the woodwork, great to see you posting!
Dancing
chasbeen
DH
61 years young today Smile started when I was 49 Smile
See you around!
deanhills
Happy Birthday Chas! Very Happy

jajarvin
I joined: 19 October 2012,
So it was is five years ago.
How fast years of mine pass by?
rjraaz
I do not need to tell you when I joined frihost because frihosters are smart enough to

<----- check it here


But, nothing is like frihost and all other frihosters.
Da Rossa
I'm here since early 2006. Still a very decent service! Bondings, thanks!
Blaster
Same as Da Rosa we joined right around the same time aka 2006 so almost a good solid 12 years. I started here at 13 and still use the hosting service to this day.
andy26
Blaster wrote:
Same as Da Rosa we joined right around the same time aka 2006 so almost a good solid 12 years. I started here at 13 and still use the hosting service to this day.


Its good to see that even us users from 2006 are still here today! that's some dedication!

its also weird how we seemed to come back after a break around the same time too.
Blaster
I like to stop in every now and again. It gives me something to do
Simonjw
I'm a newbie of the litter haha, but have grown to love this place. Wishing I could definitely spend more time here though.

Also, wish we could give this place a modern-day makeover as it is well needed and would be a shame to possibly lose this to a new service.
Da Rossa
I joined in early 2006 when looking for a free place to host a phpBB forum. I was just playing around to see how it works. Eventually I developed my main and currently only site.

Back then there were a lot of heated discussions on the Discuss World News forum. A lot of different views, even Iraq war supporters! Then some years later I remember some Obama fanboys hailing for the so-called "Obama doctrine" which was, at the time, not to "personally" invade countries harboring terrorists, but rather, "bombing them from a distance". I laughed a lot.
Blaster
It's certainly interesting to see how opinions change over time. I looked at some of my old posts the one day and found how I changed my views on a lot of different thing. It also shows me personally how I have matured over time from being a 13 year old kid to an adult.
deanhills
Me too Blaster. My outlook and opinions about things have changed radically over my life span at Frihost. I haven't been here as long as you have, but next year I'll get into 10 years as well. I have a real attachment to Frihost and it is my Forum home. It was the first Forum I ever joined.
Da Rossa
My opinions might have changed because of Frihost too. One of them was the responsibility on the 9/11. I thought it was a conspiracy! Haha

But none here has succeeded on changing my mind about being "some" level of involvement of people with access, not necessarily in the highest positions. Very Happy
SonLight
Events like 9/11 are fertile ground for conspiracy theories. There are almost always facts that must legitimately be concealed from the public, perhaps to prevent someone using a similar weapon against us in the future. There is usually also some "guilty knowledge"; perhaps someone did something stupid and it would be more painful than useful to reveal it, or someone did commit a crime in the process of dealing with the event.

For some time I believed the Air Force had shot down the plane in Pennsylvania. I now believe they did not, primarily because the audio tapes from the airplane were played for families of those who died in the crash. Even though neither the public nor independent experts were allowed to examine the tapes for themselves, I don't think "incriminating" information on the tapes would have been kept secret after that many people heard it. If we HAD shot down our own plane, I think responsible officials would have done the right thing to conceal it in order to prevent the demoralization public disclosure would have produced.

I still believe the smaller building near the twin towers was deliberately demolished, in order to prevent public knowledge of the secret facility there.

Of course, I could be wrong about these or many other issues related to 9/11. The truth is that we should not know some things for the protection of our country and society. It remains possible, however, that someone has concealed major wrongdoing by claiming that certain facts need to be concealed, when in fact only that person's guilt caused it to be concealed.
Da Rossa
Quote:
Events like 9/11 are fertile ground for conspiracy theories. There are almost always facts that must legitimately be concealed from the public, perhaps to prevent someone using a similar weapon against us in the future. There is usually also some "guilty knowledge"; perhaps someone did something stupid and it would be more painful than useful to reveal it, or someone did commit a crime in the process of dealing with the event.


You mean like condoning or overlooking a group of people boarding the plane with knives, boxcutters and aerosol deodorants? (The latter I don't know for sure if it was allowed before the attacks).

Quote:
For some time I believed the Air Force had shot down the plane in Pennsylvania. I now believe they did not, primarily because the audio tapes from the airplane were played for families of those who died in the crash. Even though neither the public nor independent experts were allowed to examine the tapes for themselves, I don't think "incriminating" information on the tapes would have been kept secret after that many people heard it. If we HAD shot down our own plane, I think responsible officials would have done the right thing to conceal it in order to prevent the demoralization public disclosure would have produced.


But what was there to be kept from the public? The horrifying scenario represented by the actual recording? If you say "the families" were allowed to listen to it, then you might be talking about over 300 people. What's the point showing to 300 instead of 300,000,000? What was so sensitive in that particular recording?

Quote:
I still believe the smaller building near the twin towers was deliberately demolished, in order to prevent public knowledge of the secret facility there.


That's something which never got clear for me. What was that building all about? What did it keep? Is the termite heat signature a hoax or was it really seen even weeks later?

Quote:
Of course, I could be wrong about these or many other issues related to 9/11. The truth is that we should not know some things for the protection of our country and society. It remains possible, however, that someone has concealed major wrongdoing by claiming that certain facts need to be concealed, when in fact only that person's guilt caused it to be concealed.


Maybe the airport security guards. No one could ever live with the fact that they allowed or got greased to overlook restricted objects onboard.

Now tell me: what could possibly be in the greater public interest rather than disclosing all that information? We are not talking about war tactics, DoD or CIA operations manuals or anything like that. I would like to know what my government is hiding from me, as a citizen! That's what I would think if I were American!
SonLight
@Da Rossa, governments by their very nature are secretive. Sometimes it's totally unjustified, but it's still human nature and it's going to happen. There are a lot of legitimate government secrets though. In an ideal world, there would be no such organization as the CIA, but since there is, they need to conceal the details of what they are doing.

Arbitrary revelations could cause CIA agents to die, and would certainly reduce their effectiveness when their methods are revealed. Since we do unfortunately need (or believe we do) to build dangerous weapons, we do not want every terrorist on the planet to know exactly how to build them. We may also have learned how weapons that we choose not to build could be built.
Da Rossa
Quote:

@Da Rossa, governments by their very nature are secretive. Sometimes it's totally unjustified, but it's still human nature and it's going to happen. There are a lot of legitimate government secrets though. In an ideal world, there would be no such organization as the CIA, but since there is, they need to conceal the details of what they are doing.

Arbitrary revelations could cause CIA agents to die, and would certainly reduce their effectiveness when their methods are revealed. Since we do unfortunately need (or believe we do) to build dangerous weapons, we do not want every terrorist on the planet to know exactly how to build them. We may also have learned how weapons that we choose not to build could be built.


Yes, yes, I'm not questioning that, I know there are some (many) things that are supposed to remain secret. And of course there is the need for organisations such as the CIA. I'm talking specifically about the 9/11 details. What, in that case, could be deemed so sensitive, as of 2017, to be kept? As I said, no one is asking for the identities of any agents or procedures. I'm just wondering about the audio tapes.
Blaster
And there it is again... the 9/11 conspiracy theory shows hits ugly head again... I take credit for starting that debate years ago when loose change first came out and that was exactly the topic that I was thinking about when I posted that.
deanhills
Would be great to get to the truth of 9/11. Conspiracies are always abundant when the truth is covered up. The weapons of mass destruction lie to get the Iraqi invasion approved was another lie. Once the lie was completely uncovered, the conspiracy theories flew out the window. Possibly the same will happen with 9/11 when the truth has been revealed. Maybe the truth is so bad however the chances that it will be uncovered are as remote as that of the assassination of Kennedy.
Blaster
The funny thing about the Kennedy assassination is how much is out there that disproves what was said. There is solid evidence that another person did it and evidence was even found by the person who later admitted to doing the crime who was at the time in jail for doing another crime.

A lot of the conspiracies for 9/11 have been disproved however as it is.
chasbeen
I'm becoming more familiar about the situation in the U S
There is a real decline in democracy and human rights are suffering badly.

I hope it's not an indication as to what will happen in the UK. I love my country and I do love the people who are not as aware as the American populace. It's thanks to them that human rights issues are not as bad.

Good luck everyone in the coming years!!
hunnyhiteshseth
chasbeen wrote:
It's been a blast!!!
Sound off your handle and year you first joined and why!

I joined in 2006 and I was grateful that free serving was available. I still use it today on little projects I put on Github (Programmers display what they can do)


Looks like all of us who joined in 2006 are the majority of people who are sticking around. Smile
I also joined in 2006 while I was studying in college. At that point of time, the very idea of having your own website and that too for only posting a post seemed very best thing which can happen. Yes, we did have ads for members as well but those were non intrusive. Later bondings decided to even take them out. I could never understand why bondings has been so generous to us.
chasbeen
I've paid to have hosting but this has outlasted all.
Well done to unselfish Mr B!!
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
I've paid to have hosting but this has outlasted all.
Well done to unselfish Mr B!!
Well said for me too. Up to two days ago I had two VPSs, a really good one free at a post to host forum, and another paid one. It's rare that this would happen, but last night when I logged into the VPS forum news was that the sponsor for the free VPS had withdrawn their sponsorship. Later on I found an e-mail from my paid VPS host to say that there had been a double disk failure and my VPS had to be recreated - all data was lost. Fortunately I'm good with backups so I didn't lose data but I'll have to find a new home for 8 Websites. In the meanwhile, back at Frihost, this is the uptime at Frihost Server 1 - you're right Chasbeen - B's hosting has outlasted even my state of the art VPSs.



The above screen shot came from one of our geek members at freeftpspace.org, who has been monitoring Frihost Server 1's uptime. Bondings has a small sister Website freeftpspace.org (FFS) providing post to host hosting space on Frihost Server 1 since 2012 when Bondings purchased it. This member had been away from the Forum for several months due to illness, and when he returned - this is what he had to say:

Quote:
In comparison, other websites of mine were crumbling all over the Web... with deadlines not met etc... Even my WebApps that were running @rhcloud.com in their Openshift online v2 went down at the end of September due to the discontinuation of that service by October the 1st 2017. People were invited to move on to the less generous but new docker-based OpenShift Online v3 (which I did join a couple of days ago.) What was left standing LONELY BUT TALL by October 2017 was my Websites hosted @FFS. Thus, once again, A BIG THANK YOU FFS for having my back when I was away.

Source: http://www.freeftpspace.org/forum/T-FFS-hosting-Current-Changes?pid=22483#pid22483
andy26
I saw this video randomly a few weeks back and it had me thinking i wonder if bondings has a similar setup to this in his home or something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ErZ34n3ha0

also in regards to the below quote, post to host VPS's was a thing!? i can see how its easy enough to share out a few MB on a couple of servers but to create many vps's seems really wastefull of resources.

deanhills wrote:
chasbeen wrote:
I've paid to have hosting but this has outlasted all.
Well done to unselfish Mr B!!
Well said for me too. Up to two days ago I had two VPSs, a really good one free at a post to host forum, and another paid one. It's rare that this would happen, but last night when I logged into the VPS forum news was that the sponsor for the free VPS had withdrawn their sponsorship. Later on I found an e-mail from my paid VPS host to say that there had been a double disk failure and my VPS had to be recreated - all data was lost. Fortunately I'm good with backups so I didn't lose data but I'll have to find a new home for 8 Websites. In the meanwhile, back at Frihost, this is the uptime at Frihost Server 1 - you're right Chasbeen - B's hosting has outlasted even my state of the art VPSs.

deanhills
andy26 wrote:
I saw this video randomly a few weeks back and it had me thinking i wonder if bondings has a similar setup to this in his home or something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ErZ34n3ha0
That looks impressive. Maybe a dream situation for Bondings. Or who knows maybe he does have a home lab.
andy26
deanhills wrote:
andy26 wrote:
I saw this video randomly a few weeks back and it had me thinking i wonder if bondings has a similar setup to this in his home or something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ErZ34n3ha0
That looks impressive. Maybe a dream situation for Bondings. Or who knows maybe he does have a home lab.


I would love this setup myself, it would be nice to launch a bunch of game servers but i feel there is an excessive ammount of servers, I just wouldnt want to pay the electric bill or the 1Gbps/100mbps internet connection fee.
Blaster
deanhills wrote:
andy26 wrote:
I saw this video randomly a few weeks back and it had me thinking i wonder if bondings has a similar setup to this in his home or something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ErZ34n3ha0
That looks impressive. Maybe a dream situation for Bondings. Or who knows maybe he does have a home lab.

I see you guys arn't thinking realistic here and havn't come to the logical conclusion. This obviously is bondings and that obviously is the hosts to frhost. Better watch out though it may cause a server malfunction should it detect that you found him.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.