FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Email with IP address

Possum
Is it possible for an Email address to have an IP address in it.
For Instance peter@210.54.35.249

I want to set up an Email server on a Raspberry PI and associate it with my static IP address..

Once again I have no reason why I am doing this. Its just fun to do..

Thx..
badai
Possum wrote:
Is it possible for an Email address to have an IP address in it.
For Instance peter@210.54.35.249

I want to set up an Email server on a Raspberry PI and associate it with my static IP address..

Once again I have no reason why I am doing this. Its just fun to do..

Thx..

yes you can, at least 20 years ago you can. now perhaps some SMTP might be too stupid that when they see the host, they insist on resolving the MX record and will failed when they can't find the "host"

modern mail server that support multiple host probably was design too stupid to accept IP as a host name. give few a try.

i did that on AIX about 20 years ago. email from the internet also can go through. at that time buying a domain name is kind of complicated.
deanhills
It would work if it were a static IP and you were able to get reverse DNS (rDNS) from the IP provider. You may already have it - check with command:

Code:
dig -x [address] +short

Most e-mail clients like AOL insist that the IP has to have reverse DNS otherwise they block the e-mails. It's one of the ways they use to verify that the sending server is not a malicious spammer. AOL apparently made it more impossible by saying that the IP has to have a domain:
http://support.simpledns.com/kb/a45/what-is-reverse-dns-and-do-i-need-it.aspx

Quote:
Special note about AOL:
It appears that AOL has recently restricted this even further:
They also require that reverse DNS points to a "fully qualified domain name" (we assume they mean a name with 3 or more segments, such as "mail.jhsoft.com"), and that this name does not contain the segments "in-addr.arpa" and is not just an IP address.
If you want to be able to send e-mail to AOL users, the reverse DNS record for your e-mail server IP address must adhere to this as well.
For details, please see http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php#whatisrdns

I can imagine that other providers may follow the same example.

Here is more info how to set it up:

http://www.howtovmlinux.com/articles/rasberry-pi/raspbian-debian-wheezy/enable-bind-dns-forwarding-incl-reverse-lookup.html
Possum
Arr Haa..

Looks like a classic case of I can but I can't.

Now I'm thinking can I host a controlled IRC server