FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Frihost the oldest surviving post to host forum?

deanhills
I remember at the time I joined Frihost in 2008 there were many other shared hosting forums available. They were not as good as Frihost, of course Razz but they were all in the business of giving shared hosting accounts in exchange for posts. Then from 2013 onwards I found those decreasing in number until 2016 when it was really difficult to find any. There still are some, but I am wondering whether Frihost is the oldest surviving post to host forum?

Do members know of any other post to host forums who are older and longer surviving than Frihost?
standready
I can't say that I do. WTG Frihost!!! Continue success!

Keep on postin'!
restonpiston
I'm glad I found it even with a little comunity it's still a great place! I got into because of the hosting and stay for the comunity
nam_siddharth
I think it was first to implement this idea of giving hosting space in exchange of posts. Others tried to copy this idea but they failed.
Da Rossa
"Other post to host forums"? I didn't get that. Do you mean "a server to host forums"? Even if that's the case, the answer is still no, I don't know any older hosts.
nam_siddharth
Da Rossa wrote:
"Other post to host forums"? I didn't get that. Do you mean "a server to host forums"? Even if that's the case, the answer is still no, I don't know any older hosts.

A forum where you post to get hosting space.
Da Rossa
nam_siddharth wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

A forum where you post to get hosting space.

Duh, now I get it. "Post to Host".
I don't know any other forum of the type. Are there any? Tell me about the competition Razz
SonLight
I signed up on at least two post-for-host sites before I found Frihost. I joined here in Dec 2006, so I'd guess it was late 2004 or early 2005 when I first joined one. I remember I had to get 20 points every week to keep hosting; I think we got one point each day we signed on, and posting about three long or maybe seven short posts during the week was usually enough.

Not nearly as flexible as here. There were probably an average of six to twelve hosts available during those early years. Frihost was early, but I doubt it was the first.

A lot of people thought they could post a few, get hosted, and not need to post again. There was confusion because you could do that in some hosts where they ran ads on your site. I don't count those as the same type of hosts, since there were and still are a lot of free hosts paid for by ads on the hosted site.
Possum
I do enjoy visiting here... Long live Frihost..
andy26
This is the only forum i have ever really bothered with to be fair, you can get anything from technical advice to life advice on here i love it the fact you get a hosting space is purely a bonus.

Whilst from time to time i may be busy to come on here when i do get a chance i still enjoy visiting the forum.
Da Rossa
Quote:
A lot of people thought they could post a few, get hosted, and not need to post again. There was confusion because you could do that in some hosts where they ran ads on your site. I don't count those as the same type of hosts, since there were and still are a lot of free hosts paid for by ads on the hosted site.

Ads on the hosted site is something I just wouldn't accept for my site. There is virtually no control of it. Not to mention the number of elements and regions your layout gets populated, plus the fact that some use animated, flashy banners. Sometimes the amount of ads just exceeds 35% of the real estate.
SonLight
Da Rossa, I found your site quite interesting. Even using google translate, I was able to make good sense of the material. I read a little bit of the philosophy of law notes, and may even have found one of the references you missed. If this isn't it, at least it's related:

http://izquotes.com/quote/1112

Quote:
“There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.”
―John Adams

In context, this seems to be saying that those who have governmental power must be limited to avoid corruption. In the context of the lecture, I think the professor is rather saying that government of some sort is always necessary, because in the absence of any system of law, corruption would be worse than any bad government we can imagine.
Da Rossa
Thanks SonLight! I've written down your reference for when I finally have time to review the site, if that day ever comes. I hope it does!
jajarvin
I can only state that Frihost has the ability to stay alive after all these years.
rjraaz
I joined 2 - 3 "post to host forum" at the same time when I joined Frihost. But, to have hosting and maintain their point/coin or their own other virtual currency system to continue our hosting was quite tough than frihost. But, those were dead soon no more active users not even those have inormation rich posts.

One of those changed their name; domain 3 times (I think ) but not that much popular than frihost. No more active users.

So, Frihost Rocks!!!
Myrecords
I don't think so..there are older ones out there I found one from[1999]and it's still limping along.
deanhills
Myrecords wrote:
I don't think so..there are older ones out there I found one from[1999]and it's still limping along.
Care to share their names with us? I'd love to check them out for a decent comparison.
Blaster
There was a website that used to link all hosting sites but i for the life of me can't remember what it is right now. They had all the post to host sites on there. I know one of the other ones I used was sold and ended up going under and that was back around 2010.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
There was a website that used to link all hosting sites but i for the life of me can't remember what it is right now. They had all the post to host sites on there. I know one of the other ones I used was sold and ended up going under and that was back around 2010.
Your'e thinking of FreeWebSpace.net. It's a shadow of what it used to be. Its owner is still active though - Peo. The first deterioration that happened was the lovely free hosting directory. I really loved that directory - it's how I landed with Frihost in 2009. If you checked it now it's mostly junk type hosting that is offered - and that wonderful filter that was available in 2009 is no more. Peo changed the community forum as well. He moved from using vBulletin to XenForo. The Forum is barely alive - but is frequented by regulars and golden oldies who revisit from time to time. I'm a member of the Forum but haven't posted in a while. Should probably check in again. Support Peo.
Blaster
That looks nothing like it used to be. It seems almost very cheap and uninteresting now. I too was a member a long time ago, never really posted much though.
Da Rossa
Isn't it true that most content providers have either gone to WordPress.com, Blogger or other free posting platform, since an average joe's website can be built with blogging applications, OR to some cheap, yet paid hosting solutions? If the website is money-making, then the site owner might already have computed the $7 a month in their budget, am I right?
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Isn't it true that most content providers have either gone to WordPress.com, Blogger or other free posting platform, since an average joe's website can be built with blogging applications, OR to some cheap, yet paid hosting solutions? If the website is money-making, then the site owner might already have computed the $7 a month in their budget, am I right?
Most of those enthusiastic free hosting account owners of 2006 are now into free VPSs. Your Linux guy prefers a VPS that he can manage and operate from the command line rather than a shared hosting account with cpanel. VPS for me today is what your shared hosting account was in 2005-2010. I have both. Free VPSs, free reseller accounts, free shared hosting accounts. I find it fun to try out new ones and to keep tabs on what is available. cPanel hosting from a reliable data center and shared server is still the best for me. Doesn't pay the host as much as it used to, but if he does his SEO he can still score something on traffic.
Blaster
Most people today arn't interested in the typical coding of websites. It's so easy to make a website nowadays with companies like godaddy and its cheaper than it ever was back in the mid 2000s