FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Building my own comp

khemso
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

finally decided to build my first comp:
CASE: Aspire X-Qpack/GRN

MOTHERBOARD: Biostar TForce

VID CARD: Geforce 6800 128MB PCI-E 16x

POWER SUPPLY: Antec ATX 500w

PROCESSOR: AMD X2 3800

RAM: Corsair Valueset 1GB 184-pin DDR SDRAM

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 3.5" SATA 300MB/s Hard Drive - OEM

DISK DRIVE: SONY Black IDE DVD Burner Model DW-Q30A BK - OEM

TOTAL: $917.49

What do you think? Anything missing, besides the monitor? ALso on the PSU when it says Main Conntector: 20+4 pin does that mean it a 20 pin, 24 pin or both?
mwm
Not sure about the 20 vs 24 pin questions. I'm sure some googling will return a result though. Other wise the specs sounds pretty nice not a bad prince point either.

Good luck
toshlad
To help you out on the PSU front.

The connection to the motherboard ( the main connection) is a 20 pin connection, I'm sure you know it well.

The other is the 4 pin connection for Intel P4s.

What you should make sure of is the wattage output from your PSU.

With the config that you have put together, I would look at a 450w+ PSU.

I hope this helps.
hodgenpodg
I doublt u will need a 450 watt psu im only running 420 for 2x6600GT's 3 hd's amd 3500+,2 gigs of ram, and dvd burner with an a8n-sli deluxe mobo without any problems at all but the bigger the psu the better so u dont need to worry about it later. and ya the 20+4 pin means that there is a 20 pin connector for the motherboard but also another 4 pin connector that is needed for intel boards
Donutey
looks pretty good... you might want to opt for a 256MB graphics card, but if its say more than $50 more than the 128MB version its not worth it... (or if its unavailable)
gonzo
khemso wrote:
-
MOTHERBOARD: Biostar TForce

who??

Quote:
PROCESSOR: AMD X2 3800

problem waiting to happen

Quote:
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar

ancient controller technology
izcool
It would be good if you posted the prices of every idividual part you're buying, as with PSU's, the cheaper the price on a higher wattage, you're better by getting the most expensive lower wattage. For example, an expensive 450watt PSU is better than a cheap 500watt PSU.

I spent about quite a bit on making 3 of my own PC's. The 3rd PC that I built is a P2 400Mhz which I stuffed a P4 power supply in. It doesn't use some of the pins but it still works just fine. The other 2 PC's that I built are P4's. My 3rd PC was for the hell of it lol.

- Mike.
steveadams617
Is cost an issue for you? That's a little bit more than I would probably choose to spend building a computer. I'd watch the sales and buy the pieces when I could find them to save. Do you live near a Microcenter store? They will often give you $100 off the cost of the cpu/motherboard if you open a credit card account with them. If you don't do really graphically intentensive things like video games, I would think you could get by with less memory.

The only thing I see missing is an operating system. Have you considered a linux flavor?
technology.sponge
*note sata is only 150mb/s
your sats hdd must b the SATA2 generation, make sure your controller or motherboard supports it.

pins-
there used to b 20 pin for normal desktop pcs
24 pin was for servers with multiple hot-swap drives
now as vid cards and hdds/dvdroms r getting more powerful, 20 pin connectors simply cannot provide the current
manufacturers have got past this by using 24 pin (server) or 20+4
20+4 is basically the 20pin connector with an additional 4 pin square connector to supple extra 12 and 5 volt current
johanfh
It doesn't look very cheap. But before you build it, think what you want to do with it. If you want to edit video on it, you could probably use a better videocard (although I don΄t exactly know this one) but if you don't do that, I think you could buy much cheaper parts or a discountpc. Especially because this is the first time you do this. My advice: buy a cheap ready made system if you don't exactly know what you want and change the parts you want for better stuff.

But one thing is missing: there's no sound card! And another one: a network adapter.

Gonzo: why do you post this short? Your post doesn't help much and looks like the guy who wants to build it is very stupid. Explain the 'who' and advice 'newer technology', ok?

Succes with your new pc! Building your own is a nice challenge!

JohanFH
pccustoms
24 Pin motherboards can accept 20 Pin PSU units, the end 4 pins aren't necessary.

I like your setup, I personally disagree with the motherboard however. I tend to lean toward the following manufacturers: Asus, DFI, MSI, and Abit.

Just make sure you have sufficient fans installed and make sure the intake and outake of the fans is in a good manner.

Usually throw intake fans on the front of the PC, toward the bottom, and outake fans on the back of the PC toward the top (warm air rises!).
silli
Pretty nice i quess. If it would be my computer, i'd choose better-known motherboard, better graphic card and AMD Athlon 64 4000+.
CatBox
What about a sound card?

Make sure you motherboard will support your CPU. Best way would be to talk with a guy who works at a store where they build custom machines (yea assemble them). Those guys will mostly probably be able to check out if all the parts you got will go togather.

Have great fun and use Linux Wink
Raijenki
I like all ^^
I want your PC to me /o/
Natrualkiller
I would upgrade the 6800 128 bit to 256 bit if your a gamer
mark
Nice Specs. Sweet. You got it very cheap.
dandollinger
you need to by a second geforce card, you can have two video cards that run add one, almost doubling your video card processing power. The top gaming machines have two ones, i'm not making this up. I saw a system once that could trample faster ones because of it's dual cards.