FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Emoji domains? What do I think?

thelad
Hi all,

Emoji is the new language! Godaddy introduced emoji domain registration services.
i❤️domains (not advertising). Did anyone try it? They provide .ws extensions.
Ankhanu
I hate this idea Razz But, I'm in the minority when it comes to emoji, so I guess I have to adapt.
SonLight
Emoji domains?

Timing and marketing are often the keys to financial success. There are clearly opportunities to get some unique, emoji-based sites, and get in on the ground floor. But the risks are substantial (dot com bust, anyone?) and depend on the ability to think outside the box as well as luck.

IBM once considered naming their flagship systems 4[pi] (I won't try the Unicode character here ...). But a little market research convinced them it would be very hard to market a brand with a Greek character in it. So instead of "still well-rounded, now in three dimensions"* they went from "well rounded" system/360 to "slightly deformed" system/370 instead.

* PS. 4*pi, as in the area of a sphere of radius one.
deanhills
I totally dislike emojis. Could be I'm a bit conservative, but I always expect quality with emojis to be lacking. Like whatever follows the emojis is not going to be of a high standard. Generally with Forums in my experience it's always the case. With domain names I'd expect something similar, but of course that could be wrong too. Like this may be an excellent way of adding something unique to domain names that have already been taken.
thelad
SonLight wrote:
Emoji domains?

Timing and marketing are often the keys to financial success. There are clearly opportunities to get some unique, emoji-based sites, and get in on the ground floor. But the risks are substantial (dot com bust, anyone?) and depend on the ability to think outside the box as well as luck.

IBM once considered naming their flagship systems 4[pi] (I won't try the Unicode character here ...). But a little market research convinced them it would be very hard to market a brand with a Greek character in it. So instead of "still well-rounded, now in three dimensions"* they went from "well rounded" system/360 to "slightly deformed" system/370 instead.

* PS. 4*pi, as in the area of a sphere of radius one.

Vey interesting story.
The emojis are the new languages if our new generation accepts it, it's a success.
thelad
deanhills wrote:
I totally dislike emojis. Could be I'm a bit conservative, but I always expect quality with emojis to be lacking. Like whatever follows the emojis is not going to be of a high standard. Generally with Forums in my experience it's always the case. With domain names I'd expect something similar, but of course that could be wrong too. Like this may be an excellent way of adding something unique to domain names that have already been taken.

I totally agree with your points. People are buying and selling its for 10k+.