FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

website program

mun
what program do u use for ur website?
raver
first of all this should be moved ...second of all you can find alot of information in the scripting part of forum, or how to design your website etc etc etc...without the need to start a new thread...although i think you appreciate the points given by this Razz
But not to be mean let me answer this:
For making a website all you need is a good editor (but if you work in flash you do need macromedia flash mx, which is far better then swish) and a photo-editing tool like Adobe photoshop(my favourite). If you are using php to prgram your website i would recommend Maguma Open Studio, it is freeware and much much better then alot of commercial editors out there. Ofcourse you must get php, apache and mysql for locally testing your website. Hope this helped, if it totally sucked just go and check out the parts of the forum i just mentioned
koolbluez
Textpad Laughing

And of course... photoshop plays a role too...
otiscom
1st Page 2000.
Its free and can give you instant preview of your work without having to open in browser.
You will need HTML understanding as it is not wysiwyg.

JustaMin
Dreamweaver is a very handy tool. The WYSYWIG editor is a bit ropey, but I always write the code manually anyway. Nice featurs like FTP management and so on make it worth while for me.
-TomJ-
raver wrote:

<...>
If you are using php to prgram your website i would recommend Maguma Open Studio, it is freeware and much much better then alot of commercial editors out there. <...>

Freeware? It costs €69,- !!!
Check it at the Maguma site.
misterdimiz
NVU - http://www.nvu.com/

Free WYSIWYG Html Editor by mozzilla.

Wink
amaudy
Macromedia Dreamweaver Studio
MS Visual Studio 2005 (Just start to use on last friday)
mun
raver
could i see ur site

thanks guys for the tips
seanooi
Microsoft's frontpage is good for starters, it's a WYSIWYG kind of web page designer. But of course, anything Microsoft make is never free, so you would have to buy it. Laughing
-TomJ-
seanooi wrote:
Microsoft's frontpage is good for starters, it's a WYSIWYG kind of web page designer.

Exclamation Microsoft's FrontPage appears good for starters.
But as soon as you continue in the world of web page designing, you'll begin to detest it from the bottom of your heart. FP creates a whole series of superfluous directories, the html it produces is dirty, and as with so many products of our beloved Mr. Bill, it will assume settings you may never want yourself. They call it IntelliSense©; I'd say StupidSense.

Arrow Dreamweaver has a special menu option to remove all superfluous Frontpage coding. If Frontpage was a properly working web editor, that would never have been necessary.
gamo
mun wrote:
what program do u use for ur website?

Vary of kinds. It depends on which circumstances and purposes of use. They are Photoshop for first step: "design graphics", dreamweaver for coding HTML or some server script codes such as JSP, PHP, ColdFusion...
g_unit90
Dreamveawer 8
Rhysige
And dont listen to any of these loonies who like WYSIWYG editors...
In other words dont touch the following:
Frontpage
NVU
Dreamweaver
MS Visual Studio
1st page
Or any other editor such as these,

Instead learn HTML and CSS and type them up in a syntaxt editor such as AceHTML which simply displays your code with a preview window if you really want. Has a few minor code snippets but YOU code it and it works so much better.
-TomJ-
Rhysige wrote:
Frontpage
NVU
Dreamweaver
MS Visual Studio
1st page

Instead learn HTML and CSS and type them up in a syntaxt editor such as AceHTML which simply displays your code with a preview window if you really want. Has a few minor code snippets but YOU code it and it works so much better.

Hang on: Dreamweaver allows you to do your own typing. And besides that it will easily give a lot more functionality: if you decide to move all your images into a dedicated folder, DW will modify all references to those images to the new location. With one click you can check the syntax of that tag you forgot the exact argument of. If you have a piece of coding you need to use over and over again - for instance a standard page footer - you only need to type it once and subsequently include it. And when you decide you need to change it, you only need to type the changed coding once.
Furthermore, DW will remember the url and password for the remote location of your site, keep your local and remote files synchronised, and do all the necessary things to ftp them to your host.
So there is more to Dreamweaver than just a WYSIWIG editor. Don't put it on the same level as a Microsoft product.
Rhysige
Dreamweaver is a little better in that respect yes but it still inserts crap code. As for images a good web developer forsees how they need to be organised so all links dont need to be changed. Alternativley use search and replace. I still say thats its best to avoid it.
Arazer
front page!
gemini2
For simple basic websites that requires diff people to look after it, I highly recommend Contribute 3.

It has the bonus feature of implementing WebDav instead of FTP to publish to the server a bit more securely.

At our office, I recommended our departments to use it so they could maintain their own sites without much web design knowledge.

Dreamweaver could be a bit overwhelming for those that are not IT-savvy.

Frontpage, I would not even consider it.
Ravi
Macromedia Dreamveawer 8 and Namo Web Editor
Cano
I use nice polish HTML editor called eZ HTML (edytor znaczników HTML = HTML tag editor) it's very easy (for Polish Very Happy) to use, it creates tables, colors, frames. It unfortunately hasn't english version so you can't use it Razz. If you want you can download it: http://ezhtml.bydnet.com.pl/download.php
I have Macromedia Dreamwaver too but i don't know how to use it Razz. The main problem that it hasn't Polish version Very Happy. I simply don't understand help...

Greets
Cáno
koolbluez
Bottom line...........

LEARN HTML & CSS...

U HAVE THE BEST TOOL IN THE BUSINESS... THE BRAIN...

Use it & write code with notepad or textpad(i prefer the latter); rather than depending on complex (not to mention,costly) software which inserts more crap Twisted Evil than useful material

PERIOD.
Head Hunter
I use Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
Cano
koolbluez wrote:
Bottom line...........

LEARN HTML & CSS...

U HAVE THE BEST TOOL IN THE BUSINESS... THE BRAIN...

Use it & write code with notepad or textpad(i prefer the latter); rather than depending on complex (not to mention,costly) software which inserts more crap Twisted Evil than useful material

PERIOD.

I don't know if that post was about mine, but you must know that eZ HTML isn't WYSIWYG. I hate WYSIWYGS too! It's text editor, but with some additions (like table, frame creator as I wrote, and colouring Tags). I think it's useful, because if you work with Notepad, you must always check in the Internet for help when you forget something. But I don't know how peple can use WYSIWYGs to design sites. It's harder to use for than notepad... Neutral

Greets
Cáno
bananaphone
Dreamweaver 8 - Its fantastic! Really gets the job done and is very easy to use.
netjunk
I use frontpage as well. I only know a bit of HTML and frontpage gives me a decent website. I wouldnt recomend it if you need a high quality business website I just use it for my own personal site
avk
I use Microsoft Frontpage 2003 for the layout design, Dreamweaver MX 2004 for the scripting work, Flash MX 2004 for the animation, Photoshop CS for the magical image and finally easyPHP for viewing the Scripts

This all is cool
otiscom
Use First page 2000 and HTML!

megamass
notepad and dreamweaver Very Happy
VIPER VENOM
DREAM WEAVER has a free 30 day trial download. this program rox.
thinking of buying this prgram myself.
Mr_Grey
I use Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
Arnie
1stpage isn't WYSIWYG. Have you ever used it? It's raw coding with a preview button and some tag generators. I really like it, also for its feature of coloring the tags in editing mode.

As for your opinion that "everyone must write HTML manually": http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16642
Rhysige wrote:
Frontpage
NVU
Dreamweaver
MS Visual Studio
1st page

psadornas
mun
wow this has help more than i thought
thanks guys!
avk
Frontpage for the normal works, Dreamveaver for the scripting magic,Photoshop CS for the pic and flash makes the website much much more attractive....... I use EasyPHP 1.8 to test my scripts .......