FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virus and Spyware?

benjamincblunt
In all honesty let's face it all this business with security in our computers suck. But the whole honest truth to me is that unless you do some research (like I have) there is only one program to me actually worth paying for instead of getting free protection. As for free protection the best programs that are around are definitly as follows:

Firewall: Zone Alarm Firewall
Virus: AVG Anti-Virus
Spyware: Ad-Aware SE

The best and only real thing that I have found that actually will "get the job done well" for your computers security is Zone Alarm Security Suite. All other programs I have reviewed aka Mcafee & Norton, etc. all have some sort of defects and might just collapse on you and your computer but at the same time unless you have updates for your computer all done and installed then don't plan on Zone Alarm working either, but Mcafee and Norton during test for various people have been reported to crash on them. Norton has crashed on I'd say about 50% of it's customers. and Mcafee about 25%. Zone Alarm although isn't perfect has only crashed on about 7-10% of it's people and a total of 3-7% of it's customers with updates all done with in there systems but then again if you want to go free that's what I suggest above. If you would also like to further research this subject I'd advise you looking at pcmag.com, download.com, or pcworld.com for reviews. Hope this helps some peoples' computers get saved
SunburnedCactus
Strangely enough, I run NIS 2006 (came pre-installed) and it hardly crashes ever. It's also much more discreet than previous versions, and I'm yet to see it comprimised by any threats.

I agree that the free software does a sterling job for the price, but larger commercial projects tend to have a lot more money and time invested in them, so they should be better.

On the other hand, I've never liked McAfee products at all. Wink
Freezon
Bummed out with spyware, trojans, viruses, keyloggers and the sort? I found a nice website which gives a huge list of free: Firewalls, Antiviruses, Trojan Removers, Spyware Removers, and all sorts of other security tools. Check it out here: http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/spywareremoval.shtml

That is the spyware link, but on the same page (near the bottom) you will see links to free antivirus programs and others.

Also, if you suspect you are the victim of a malicious program running in your background processes, then you should definitely check this program out: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/securitytask.html

It is called security task manager, and in my opinion is the best all around task manager. It will give you complete detailed information about each and every process running on your computer. However it is only a 30 day trial version but at only $29.99 to purchase a license, it is a must have tool. Even if you don't have the $29.99 the full 30 day trial should get your computer cleaned up.
abhinav_shah
If you are using windows then you can try Microsoft Antispyware.
I feel it's great. I recently had some problems with spyware and I tried many anti-spywares, but din't help. Finally I got Microsoft Antispyware, and it really works...
hodgenpodg
for Spyware you have to go with Ad-aware I've seen peoples computers ruined by other so called "spyware removers that they got" and I use Kaspersky anti-virus personal and have never had a virus since i got it about a year ago while when i used norton i would often get viruses, but I'm also pretty careful about immediatley scanning anything I download from a "sketchy" website.
Freezon
Quote:
for Spyware you have to go with Ad-aware I've seen peoples computers ruined by other so called "spyware removers that they got" and I use Kaspersky anti-virus personal and have never had a virus since i got it about a year ago while when i used norton i would often get viruses, but I'm also pretty careful about immediatley scanning anything I download from a "sketchy" website.

Yes, it is true. Some spyware removers do infact delete files (such as .dll and registry keys) that keep some programs and software working properly. To avoid this, be sure you get a spyware remover program that supports a quarantine system. A quarantine system, if you don't already know, places all files you remove in a backup folder, which can later be restored if needed. Such spyware removers which support this are: Webroot Spy Sweeper, Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D.
engalex
ohhhhhhhhh
stupid virus can access u
Razz Laughing Laughing
khairulsyahir
I would recommend Spybot: Search and Destroy for removing spywares. I've been using since I got my PC till now, and it does its job well! I'm not worried of spyware anymore.
IceCameron
I had a real pickle the other day so i joined www.majorgeeks.com
They really help iff you've got trouble with spyware, trojans or viruses. The can even help translate Hijackthis logs.
quinman22
I've used ZoneAlarm and ahad a conflict with my router. I couldn't reconfigure the router or ZoneAlarm properly so I had to uninstall ZoneAlarm. When I put another program on there (Symantec Firewall and Antivirus) the program wouldn't run due to a conflict between it and a background process. I had to track down in my windows folder the leftover file from zonealarm and delete it before I could get symantec to work. Symantec, by the way, has been great, but doesn't prevent everything properly, so I also use Ad-Aware and S+D to remove the rest.
Those are my recommendations. Tehy don't always work, though, so I am also joined in many forums to ask questions or to contribute answers for problems I have previoulsy had.
progman89
benjamincblunt wrote:
As for free protection the best programs that are around are definitly as follows:

The best and only real thing that I have found that actually will "get the job done well" for your computers security is Zone Alarm Security Suite. All other programs I have reviewed aka Mcafee & Norton, etc. all have some sort of defects and might just collapse on you and your computer but at the same time unless you have updates for your computer all done and installed then don't plan on Zone Alarm working either, but Mcafee and Norton during test for various people have been reported to crash on them. Norton has crashed on I'd say about 50% of it's customers. and Mcafee about 25%. Zone Alarm although isn't perfect has only crashed on about 7-10% of it's people and a total of 3-7% of it's customers with updates all done with in there systems but then again if you want to go free that's what I suggest above. If you would also like to further research this subject I'd advise you looking at pcmag.com, download.com, or pcworld.com for reviews. Hope this helps some peoples' computers get saved

I disagree. ZoneAlarm is actually quite limited in what it can do as far as free firewalls go; most of its behavior is predefined and the user really doesn't have the option to customize advanced behaviors. I recommend Kerio Personal Firewall: it has a few very good default blocking behaviors, but besides that, you basically get to build the firewall to customize your needs.
AVG Antivirus actually failed the latest round of tests by VirusBulletin. It's decent for a safe-use computer, but I recomment avast! if you really want good free protection. It has the same success record with VirusBulletin on Windows XP as Norton does.
I have used Ad-Aware, NoSpyware, Spybot, and Microsoft antispyware and my advice to you if you want the best antispyware is to get Spybot. It uses very little resources, its maker is focused specifically on spyware, it's free, and it does a better job of cleaning than other antispyware products.
moejoe
abhinav_shah wrote:
If you are using windows then you can try Microsoft Antispyware.
I feel it's great. I recently had some problems with spyware and I tried many anti-spywares, but din't help. Finally I got Microsoft Antispyware, and it really works...

Microsoft AS needs a lot of work, and i think they are still in the beta stages right? Damn straight, that's where they should stay, for now anyways. The miss so much spyware its unbelievable, they cannot pick up really common spyware and when it comes to Ad ware, they can't remove sh!t.
They should realy try to i,prove Xp rather then all this security crap, that protects like a broken condom.
Rubstah
What also works well for me is Hitman Pro.
It is freeware and it is more a tool that cleans your computer up by using the software of all these different antivirus/-adware/-spyware programs.

Try it, because I think it works very good.
maia
you're right about this benjamin.

i myself use the same combination. the Zone Alarm Firewall is great and free, but i don't like their other products much. i've also been using Ad-Aware for several years now, and it's good and doesn't use much of my resources.

however, as i'm a paranoid when it comes to viruses, so i also installed a PC-Cillin on my PCs. i prefer to have two Real Time Scanners, because some viruses these days are intelligent. they autohide or transfer. AVG and PCcillin is the best combination i've got for antivirus. i've also used MaAfee and Norton before, but they don't work as well as the AVG and PC-Cillin combination.

if you guys don't have PC-Cillin, you can also use the TrendMicro HouseCall online scanner. it's free and it scans and removes your computer of viruses and spywares, and it also analyzes other security threats to your PC.

benjamincblunt wrote:
In all honesty let's face it all this business with security in our computers suck. But the whole honest truth to me is that unless you do some research (like I have) there is only one program to me actually worth paying for instead of getting free protection. As for free protection the best programs that are around are definitly as follows:

Shannon
hodgenpodg wrote:

I am with you. The IT department at my work recommmends SpyBot, but at home, if I run SpyBot, and then AdAware, the AdAware always picks up things that the SpyBot missed.

OTOH, I have never tried it the other way around -- AdAware first, and then Spybot. Maybe SB would pick up things that AA missed??
James007
1. Get yourself an ACTIVE PROTECTION program like MS AntiSpyware, to keep your computer secured from spyware. Especially when it installes itself MS AntiSpyware will stop it.
=> MS AntiSpyware

2. Get yourself a scanner like Ad-Aware or Spybot, because MS AntiSpyware doesn't find everything, nor does Ad-Aware, nor does Spybot... So you need to run them all. MS AntiSpyware all the time, the other 2 programs once a week.

3. Get yourself extra protection... Get SpywareBlaster to block a lot of malicious sites. (now about 5000 sites)

4. You can replace your hosts - file with a advanced version. In your Hosts - file, you can block any website you want. More info here

5. Get yourself a firewall like ZoneAlarm.

6.Get yourself an alternative browser. I suggest FireFox. It works the same as Internet Explorer, but without pop-ups. And you can add a lot of things to the browser (extensions).
- For FireFox - Users: Get FilterSet.G. extension + Filterset.G. updater to block most ads.
- Get the "Remove This permanently"-extension to delete anything you want from a webpage.
- Search for the IEtab-extension, so you can open some webpages that require ActiveX-elements to be installed. (It embeddes IE in FF)

6. A nice virusscanner like AVG.

7. Do an online scan once in a while.

I do all of this, it doesn't slow down my system (as you might think), and I never get any popup, virus or whatever.

James Smile
technology.sponge
Spybot S&D should be on the list of free software as well.
It covers areas where Ad-Aware misses and Ad-Aware scans areas that Spybot misses.

Spybot also ofers IE immunization which is a first step to keeping out spyware/adware/toolbars