FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Speed up Internet?

GDG
Hi, i have a problem i want to be answered.
My internet connection is pretty lazy when it comes to downloading. I'm using BITLORD and when im trying to download something it goes at about 30 to 50 kb/s.

Yet when my friend uses BITLORD and downloading the same torrent, he can go up all the way to like 300 kb/s.

And its not just this torrent its almost all of my torrents. Is something wrong with my internet connection or the program im using, and i there a way to increase or configure my computer to use full speed of internet how would i do that?

Thanks again,

-~-GDG-~-
otiscom
Tell us what sort of connection you (DSL, Cable, etc).

Your PC type, speed etc.

Are you on a network via a router or what, perhaps wireless.

GDG
I have DSL connection with:
Up to 3.0 Mbps download &
up to 800 Kbps upload.

My computer is Celeron 2.4 GHz, upgraded RAM to 712 MB.

And yes i use a router for my connection.

Is there any way to increase the speed, please help.

P.S.
My connection speed says it has to be 3.0 mb/s download but its more like
50 kb/s.
GDG
Anyone there, that can help me please?
Naif
Remove the router for a while and try connecting the cable directly to your PC. Maybe the router has a download limit set.

If your friend is able to reach 300 kbps on a similar connection, then even you should be able to. But you ought to know, distance between you and your telephone exchange can shorten the speed... but to be frank, I dont think it should shorten it so much.

Whats the download speed you get when you try downloading a file directly from a http or an ftp server?
boringest
you need to open up the ports on your router for your computer. Check under your router settings and it's normally under port forwarding. Input your IP address into it and select he ports BitLord uses. most BT clients use 6881-6999 ports i think.
gonzo
describe your port forwarding setup, GDG
Freezon
Yes, you need to allow your router to accept the ports that your bitorrent program is using. I myself found out that I needed to do the same thing, did some research and now I am getting speeds up to 50-75% faster when downloading. For full details on how this is done, I found a nice website which gives detailed instructions to use port forwarding or port triggering to speed up your torrent downloads.

Click to speed up torrents and allow port triggering or port forwarding on your router
sunlover
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

You can test your real speed and compare with other. If your speed is slower than your ISP connection speed it might because of any problem. (But you need to know what is your internet package <From ISP> to compare)
slashgrab
If the router's speeding down your connection, you should configure it. In Window$, type "cmd" and execute. There type "ipconfig" and note down the agteway thing. In your web browser type it in the url bar. you should get a prompt to input username and adress. if u have never changed it, prbably its the default one. Have a look at your manual (its usually something like "admin" and "1234" or "admin" and blank). There u might see some wrong settings. Go to www.portforward.com to see configuration tips for your router.
if that doesn't work, maybe you're running p2p while downloading/web browsing? otherwise, call your isp to check your connection's is correctly set.
good luck!
NuniPio
GDG wrote:
Hi, i have a problem i want to be answered.
My internet connection is pretty lazy when it comes to downloading. I'm using BITLORD and when im trying to download something it goes at about 30 to 50 kb/s.

Yet when my friend uses BITLORD and downloading the same torrent, he can go up all the way to like 300 kb/s.

And its not just this torrent its almost all of my torrents. Is something wrong with my internet connection or the program im using, and i there a way to increase or configure my computer to use full speed of internet how would i do that?

Thanks again,

-~-GDG-~-

is that 300KB/s or 300kbps? theres a difference with them one is bytes the other is bits