FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

May we put text ads in our blogs?

sailor69
I am thinking of starting a blog on my forum account. Am I allowed to put up my own text ads in my blog?

I was thinking, after the first 2 to 3 posts, I would put in one Google Adsense ad (text only) per post, near the top where users can see it easily. I need to get a few things arranged, like an Adsense account, etc.
Ankhanu
On the front page of the forum, in the firs tsection (General), on the left column, the first subforum of FriHost is Announcements & Rules.The first Stickied thread there is FriHost Forum Rules. The answer lies within!

Frihost Forum Rules, 1.e wrote:

Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not contain direct or indirect referral/affiliate links or links that you get credit for when people click on.
loveandormoney
There are better opportunities.
But why not
do it.
Ankhanu
Because it can cause you to lose your account Razz
sailor69
Ankhanu wrote:
Because it can cause you to lose your account Razz

I was referring to blog posts rather than forum posts. You are suggesting putting, say, a single text ad in a BLOG post (not a forum post), that I could lose my Frihost account.

I can get a blog on another webhost in which this is allowed. However, I should point out that this could be a way to motivate more activity on Frihost, with better quality posting, due self-interest. People would want to attract readers to their blogs so as to earn more money.

Also, signatures in the forum seem to skirt or even violate some of those rules, implying it is the spirit of good membership to not go to far.
Marcuzzo
sailor69 wrote:

I can get a blog on another webhost in which this is allowed. However, I should point out that this could be a way to motivate more activity on Frihost, with better quality posting, due self-interest. People would want to attract readers to their blogs so as to earn more money.

Also, signatures in the forum seem to skirt or even violate some of those rules, implying it is the spirit of good membership to not go to far.

I'm suspecting that there's a misunderstanding here.

The term 'blog' in this forum usually points to the blog section on this forum. eg: your own blog-space here on the forum: http://www.frihost.com/users/sailor69/blog/

This 'blog' is a place where you can post your own topics, ramblings, rants and what not that are not part of a topic or question or whatever, you can post anything you like there ( but please don't post boring stuff Wink ) you even get points for doing so.

the TOS clearly says:
TOS wrote:
Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not contain direct or indirect referral/affiliate links or links that you get credit for when people click on.

So posting affiliate links or advertisements on any of your posts here on the frihost forum is not allowed.

However, If you're talking about your own personal blog, as in the website http://www.permacultureplanner.boatsafety.frihost.net that you've received via your hosting account, I don't think there is a problem

When you visit the site it clearly says:
    1500 MB of disk space
    35 GB of traffic
    No maximum file size
    A free subdomain of your choice (eg. yoursite.frihost.org)
    Unlimited domains and subdomains of your own
    Php, perl, python, cgi, ssi and other scripting languages
    Unlimited MySQL databases
    Ftp access and browser uploads
    Unlimited email accounts
    cPanel or DirectAdmin control panel
    No forced advertisements at all! Your own ads are allowed

so if you want to have add's on your website, by all means go ahead.

mods, please correct me if I'm wrong here
deanhills
@Marcuzzo Thank you for the detailed explanation. That was great. I was wondering about the same, i.e. misinterpretation, but if you look at Sailor's OP he was asking about ads in his Forum Blog:

sailor69 wrote:
I am thinking of starting a blog on my forum account. Am I allowed to put up my own text ads in my blog?

I was thinking, after the first 2 to 3 posts, I would put in one Google Adsense ad (text only) per post, near the top where users can see it easily. I need to get a few things arranged, like an Adsense account, etc.

Good for him to know however he can use ads in his hosting account blog.
Ankhanu
Hah, yeah, misunderstood the question. Ads are definitely ok on your personal site/blog.