FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I fear for my account

Da Rossa
I love this forum and, even more, this webhost. I've been active since early 2006 and always complied with the points rule. Back then, I was able to maintain the daily 45 points with no difficult.

It is not that I'm recently busier to get back here. But I can hardly find a topic with unanswered messages to keep up. So I keep waiting the e-mail inactivity warning and then I come back, struggling to find quality discussions. Should I be worried about my website?

Last time I got here and I was at -11 points, so I fretted. But curiously I did not receive the warning e-mail.

Does it mean that the -10 threshold has been pushed down to, I don't know, -100? I read someone saying they got to -91.
Ankhanu
Threshold has not changed, though I have also noted that the email doesn't always go out.

Try starting some topics, rather than waiting for some to respond to. It takes a bit of effort, and all too often a discussion doesn't precipitate from it, but, you're not waiting on anyone else to ensure you maintain your agreement to maintain positive points.
Marcuzzo
Same here,

I haven't even logged in for a while because all I see is spam posts and other non-tech topics which I don't even care to read
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Same here,

I haven't even logged in for a while because all I see is spam posts and other non-tech topics which I don't even care to read
I miss your posts! Why not go to blogging again. Like share some of your work highlights with us. Like only you can do with plenty of passion.

@DaRossa Nice that you're still posting. Think many people are curious about quo vadis Frihost, but none of us are any the wiser. We just carry on regardless. Hopefully you can too.
Marcuzzo
deanhills wrote:
Marcuzzo wrote:
Same here,

I miss your posts! Why not go to blogging again. Like share some of your work highlights with us. Like only you can do with plenty of passion..

I've been busy with the construction of our new home and haven't gotten to write any kind of code the last couple of months.

I've got a few ideas so as soon as I've worked something out I'll try to blog about it.

I'm kind of affraid that my hosting will stop working ( I'm in the negative again) and all my effort has been wasted Sad
Da Rossa
And I try to be active on many areas, not only on relationships or general discussion. But pay attention at the word "try". It doesn't mean we don't want to, but if I force, I'll be a spam poster just like Marcuzzo is talking about.
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:
And I try to be active on many areas, not only on relationships or general discussion. But pay attention at the word "try". It doesn't mean we don't want to, but if I force, I'll be a spam poster just like Marcuzzo is talking about.

Da Rossa, I would consider Dean to be more of a spam poster with his postcount of a trillion godzillion Laughing
If you look at it... I joined only a few month after he did Razz

I've tried often but when I'm posting just for the sake of posting it feels like I'm selling my soul.
countless times I started ( or intended to start ... ) a new topic or answer to a topic and I would have spent at least 30 minutes in writing out the post and in the end I cancelled or even deleted the message because it felt forced. so I kind of get what you mean.

nevertheless, I wouldn't consider your posts spam
loveandormoney
I could find a lot of interesting people every day. Maybe You read the wrong posts. Try "religion", there are VERY clever users and writing there.
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Da Rossa, I would consider Dean to be more of a spam poster with his postcount of a trillion godzillion Laughing
Laughing

On the other hand, one can say Frihost is a special life time hobby of mine. I have invested hours and hours of my time in Frihost since 2008 May when I first joined. I read each and every post there is (may miss the odd one but pretty much see them all) - as well as when I do Forum research for posts I write about historic things of Frihost, I connect with hundreds of posts of the past. Like it's a total thing for me with Frihost. I'll definitely be here until Bondings turns off the lights, which I don't think is going to happen soon - Bondings is also attached to Frihost. I have a feeling you'll be visiting too - not as frequently as I do, but you're bonded with Frihost too. Like it's in our blood. Very Happy
Da Rossa
loveandormoney wrote:
I could find a lot of interesting people every day. Maybe You read the wrong posts. Try "religion", there are VERY clever users and writing there.

Will try too. But that's a sensitive subject, and discussion about religion is kinda pointless. With some people, it's like punching the edge of a knife.

@Marcuzzo:

Quote:
I've tried often but when I'm posting just for the sake of posting it feels like I'm selling my soul.
countless times I started ( or intended to start ... ) a new topic or answer to a topic and I would have spent at least 30 minutes in writing out the post and in the end I cancelled or even deleted the message because it felt forced. so I kind of get what you mean.

nevertheless, I wouldn't consider your posts spam

Don't refrain from posting, especially if you already started typing! Very Happy Thanks for the remark.

@Dean

Quote:
On the other hand, one can say Frihost is a special life time hobby of mine. I have invested hours and hours of my time in Frihost since 2008 May when I first joined. I read each and every post there is (may miss the odd one but pretty much see them all) - as well as when I do Forum research for posts I write about historic things of Frihost, I connect with hundreds of posts of the past. Like it's a total thing for me with Frihost. I'll definitely be here until Bondings turns off the lights, which I don't think is going to happen soon - Bondings is also attached to Frihost. I have a feeling you'll be visiting too - not as frequently as I do, but you're bonded with Frihost too. Like it's in our blood. Very Happy

That's why I'd LOVE to see some visual update in this forum. I know it does work, and I believe he is patching phpBB v2 with the security updates (albeit I don't know whether there are updates for v2 anymore), but this technology is really obsolete. By 'really' I mean: the newer replacements are already considered trivial.

But I'd understand, though not liking it, if he wants things to remain minimal. Like they say, simpler is more secure!
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:

That's why I'd LOVE to see some visual update in this forum. I know it does work, and I believe he is patching phpBB v2 with the security updates (albeit I don't know whether there are updates for v2 anymore), but this technology is really obsolete. By 'really' I mean: the newer replacements are already considered trivial.

But I'd understand, though not liking it, if he wants things to remain minimal. Like they say, simpler is more secure!

The site could use a serious overhaul. It's not just the way it looks, there are a bunch of features that most forums/communities have which are not available here.
Also in terms of security, less does not always mean more secure. There's a lot of custom code running here and if somebody would find a vulnerability on this site I'm pretty sure that it would be that code.

We've got the skills so I'm all for a community built community 😀
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:

We've got the skills so I'm all for a community built community 😀
Would be wonderful if that could happen. What would be particularly wonderful is if the modifications could be made working from Bonding's version of the script, i.e. the one that is running right now. First fix the stuff that hasn't been working since we migrated from the US to Germany, and then upgrade everything else, as well as the look of the Forum along Frihost lines. Instead of using a myBB or phpBB up to date script.
Marcuzzo
deanhills wrote:
Instead of using a myBB or phpBB up to date script.

IMHO I do believe that a rewrite would be in order.

analysing the current setup is not that hard and then work out the rest. it's all about scope/draft/plan/implement
loveandormoney
Quote:

Will try too. But that's a sensitive subject, and discussion about religion is kinda pointless.

You are right.

But here are :
The Universe
Earth
Operating system.

Just look around a lot of interesting EXACT topics without empty words.

Just use the browser and click around. Medicine is published also here.
Do u need any help to find?
Marcuzzo
And that's how a topic meets certein death...
Da Rossa
OK but just for the sake of peace of mind. When exactly does a website gets offline/account gets suspended due to too low points? Doesn't mean I'm intending to quit posting, please.
SonLight
Once you're in negative points, peace of mind is the first thing to go. For those who have been regular posters for some time, sites are not likely to be suspended in the short term, and I suspect they would be quickly reactivated if you posted a few times. Major problems at Frihost, like a server dying, are probably more likely to cause loss of the site. If you're backed up and posting occasionally, your site should remain quite reliable.

Just don't sleep too peacefully -- remember, Bondings wants YOU to post.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
Just don't sleep too peacefully -- remember, Bondings wants YOU to post.
Great advice. Note however that with Servers 2 and 3 Bondings is the only one who has access. Servers 2 and 3 are on DirectAdmin. In my experience when Website scripts have been unattended, and some malicious person tries to exploit the vulnerabilities, DirectAdmin shuts the account down spontaneously - member is blocked from accessing the account. DirectAdmin is very unforgiving with number of login attempts, and as far as I know one can't reset the password. Since Bondings is not around to fix things, that in effect means the end of the hosting account. So it's always good to check that the hosting accounts on Servers 2/3 are up to date and looked after. Static websites seem to have the longest survival rate when unattended and are mostly unaffected.

Servers 2 and 3 are badly out of date with the php version and can't be used for scripts that require up to date php. So if anyone wishes to change to Server 1, please let me know. Server 1 uses cPanel, php is not completely up to date, but it's relatively in much better shape than Servers 2 and 3. Since we have access to Server 1 it of course also means that we're more strict with the number of posts that are made by members who have hosting accounts on Server 1. We have periodic cleanups, main purpose being to suspend unused accounts with websites that have out of date scripts. Checking on the number of posts is secondary to that but also important along the lines of Bondings would like people to post. Bondings however also puts a premium on members who have been around for a long while and have made a good number of posts, so their accounts would be more leniently dealt with.
loveandormoney
Quote:

Note however that with Servers 2 and 3 Bondings is the only one who has access. Servers 2 and 3 are on DirectAdmin.

What is the problem with the servers. We are amateurs and we are just interested in the situation.
Thank You. Regards
Da Rossa
Quote:
Since Bondings is not around to fix things, that in effect means the end of the hosting account. So it's always good to check that the hosting accounts on Servers 2/3 are up to date and looked after. Static websites seem to have the longest survival rate when unattended and are mostly unaffected.

My site is static (for now). How do I know which server is my site in currently? It used to be on server 2 years ago.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Quote:
Since Bondings is not around to fix things, that in effect means the end of the hosting account. So it's always good to check that the hosting accounts on Servers 2/3 are up to date and looked after. Static websites seem to have the longest survival rate when unattended and are mostly unaffected.

My site is static (for now). How do I know which server is my site in currently? It used to be on server 2 years ago.
All you need to do is click on your Account as it's in there.
Josso
same boat
Da Rossa
deanhills wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
Quote:

All you need to do is click on your Account as it's in there.

Duh, sorry. It never occurred to me to check that Very Happy