FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is mindfulness the new religion?

Haiku2016
How many of you are aware of the new craze, Mindfulness, that seems to be sweeping the world? I guess because there is some scientific evidence for the value of meditation to reduce stress (and apparently modify your brain), it's now like the panacea for everything, from cancer to mental illness. The worst (best?) part of it is that it's overtly Buddhism and practitioners tend to promote anything Asian like yoga and tai chi.

Now, I don't have anything against Buddhism and I do think that meditation is a good practice. But I think it's becoming too much of a 'cult' and moving too far away from the science. What do you think?
loveandormoney
Can You tell us something about Your experiences. Do You do it together with Your family: Does Your sisters like it too or is it for men special?
restonpiston
My mother started to practice mindfulness, not as a religion, but as meditation technique, and she told me that it helped her to cope with stress and insomnia, so I guess it is a good thing.
deanhills
It's not a craze and has been around for thousands of years. It's not a religion. It's focusing on being mindfully present in the present moment. A discipline in thinking in the present moment instead of past and future. To get there one needs to focus on what is real. first I.e., focus the mind on the toes by "feeling" and "experiencing" the toes mindfully, etc, to get rid of all of the cluttering voices in the mind. Train the mind to think and focus on the present.

You can be religious and also practise mindfulness.