FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to know what disk you are going tro Install Linux Too

Possum
Hi

My Computer has 2 drives. One a SSD and other is a Hard Drive.

How can I be sure to do my install on the SSD as I don't want to mistakenly do an install to the Hard Drive and loose data.

Thank You....
amagard
Hard to tell how the two disks would be displayed by the installer when it comes to the step to select the drive.
A bullet proof way to handle this is to remove the hard drive before install, then add it back once the install is done.
Ankhanu
amagard wrote:
Hard to tell how the two disks would be displayed by the installer when it comes to the step to select the drive.
A bullet proof way to handle this is to remove the hard drive before install, then add it back once the install is done.

Aye, disconnecting the drive you want to protect is fool proof.

Aside from that, if you know what size the drives are, make sure you're selecting the right one... otherwise, if you already have an OS installed on the system, log on, use a disk utility to identify the drive number of each drive according to the system, and make sure that you select the one you want on install.
restonpiston
If I recall correctly from freshman CS classes, an SSD would appear as sdx[y] and a conventional one as hdx[y] where x is a letter and y is an optional number. An example would be sda and hdb.
Possum
I decided to back up and install.. NO matter what... But I will investigate more

thank You

Just installed Mint...

Linux Mint gives you the choice whgat drive to do the install onto... .... Smile