FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Soil types question

sailor69
(This seems like the best place to ask questions about agriculture.)

An important part of good soil for almost any plant on land is a mix of rocks of various sizes ranging from about 2 hundreths of an inch across to about a hundreth of that, according to one definition I have read. The smallest is clay in that definition, the next largest is silt, and largest is sand. In loams, the best for most plants, they are about evenly mixed and comprise about a third of the soil as opposed to organic matter.

My problem is this: I would like to find a way to convert the different sizes or rock into each other (sand to silt or clay, the reverse, or other combinations) efficiently and economically. Sandy soils as in deserts would hold water more effectively at the surface. Clay soils would be looser so roots would penetrate them more effectively, and water would not pool on top, drowning the roots. Silt would not wash away into rivers as much.

One guy suggested putting rocks into a grinder, but that seems more suitable to gravel.

The ability to do this on a large scale could help a lot of people. I've been thinking about this one for a long time.