FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone else have bad experiences with wordpress performance?

andy26
Okay so wordpress seemed great when people used it for blogs and comics, but then it rapidly became a bloated CMS with thousands of plugins. At one point nearly every website i was hired to carry out SEO was built on a wordpress CMS but the sites were all sluggish with horrible front page speed times and the back end almost unusably slow.

I had to install custom plugins for the most part just tweak the most basic of SEO settings.

But then i worked as an in house SEO and website maintenance, we was using fasthosts which has to be the most contract scamming hosts around! I managed to come up with a deal to leave. I then went on to find a decent dedicated server at namecheap.com we had 2 magento stores and 2 HTML websites everything was running smoothly my boss then purchased a competitors website built in wordpress i loaded the site correctly into the dedicated server and the site literally hammered the dedicated server in CPU usage. I had to offset the load by installing some very hardcore cache and lite code plugins and i had to further offset the load by installing cloudflare.

Has anyone else noticed very poor performance with wordpress or was i just constantly running into sites that previously had the worst website designers that would hack together as many plugins and code as they could understand?
loveandormoney
Yes
and so we kicked Wordpress out.
There is better and free software.
deanhills
andy26 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed very poor performance with wordpress or was i just constantly running into sites that previously had the worst website designers that would hack together as many plugins and code as they could understand?
I don't think it's WordPress that is the problem. It's poor management of WordPress. Think that's the problem. WordPress has the appearance of easy to do - everyone can do it - and then the everyone loads any theme that looks pretty with a plugin for any little function they want to see, or to compensate for any shortcoming of the theme - with no in depth knowledge or experience of how all of the plugins and theme need to work well together.

WordPress in the right hands can be a mean machine. There are many large corporations who are using WordPress successfully. Notably Forbes, Wall Street Journal, BBC America etc.
andy26
good point dean.

I guess it is the unexperienced people that just bloat the platform with many plugins to get the features they want rather than correctly implementing the code. Still i think their are better frame works for different applications i think wordpress is a great framework within its own field but shouldn't be messed with to be an all round solution to everything. I think its a terrible e commerce plat form when compared to magento for example.
Da Rossa
loveandormoney wrote:
Yes
and so we kicked Wordpress out.
There is better and free software.

You could write a more complete post and state, for instance:
1 - what application have you migrated to;
2 - what did you use to use WordPress for;
3 - what exactly happened with your installation (how and why did it impact on your performance).
4 - are you referring to WordPress.com? That would be the "non-free" branch of WordPress. WordPress is actually free, while WordPress.com is a service.
5 - who are "we". Are you talking about your organisation?