FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Playing bass guitar as a hobby!

uvlt
It all started with a pressent from my wife... A beautiful red electric bass guitar just because i had said : "When I'm listening to music, I like paying attension to the bassline"... Now, i own three basses and i play with some friends in our Band, the Ηalicuti Band! Very Happy
Ankhanu
That's great Very Happy
What basses are you playing? Amp? Effects?

I've been playing bass since around 1996; I'm not good, but I love it Smile I have a couple bands on the go, though it's often weeks or months between a given band finding the time to get together and play... as it happens, I've got a practice this evening with an old band that hasn't played together for a couple years - we were asked to play an upcoming show, so we need to relearn our songs, and maybe write a couple more.

I primarily play a Bass VI (Schecter Hellcat VI), and my main standard bass is a Japanese Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass, which is basically a Jazz Bass Deluxe P/J with a carved top, gloss black finish and cream binding. I also have a Yamaha BBN5 5-string that I almost never play, a fretless that I put together from an old P-bass body and a neck from a Yamaha fretless that I'd acquired.
I primarily play them through a Peavey T-Max amp, through a big Carvin 115. For effects, my chain is usually an EXH Bass Soulfood (OD), EXH Bass Big Muff (fuzz), TC Electronic Alter Ego x4 (delay), either a phaser or flanger, and a Boss CEB3 Bass chorus.
uvlt
Ι a Samick electric bass (that was the first one), an Ibanez ectro-acoustic bass (don't remember the exactly model right now, AEsomething...) and mainly i play with a Warwick Corvete Bubinga (4 string) bass). I have already trasformed the Samick bass into a frettless bass. (It was very interesting, as i made it by myself!). Both electric basses are passive.
My amp is an Ampeg amplifier (BA-108) at home and a bigger Hartke at "studio".
I use no extra effects (exept the bass contols of course), and the strings i use are from Thomastic..

As for my Band, we are just a friend-team (now we 6 persons, electric guitar, acoustic, bass, drums, accordion, violin, vocals). At this time we make our music, but nothing prfessional, just as a hideaway from the daily routine. In the past we were more persons and instruments too (cahon, flute, bouzouki, clarinet ...). Our style is a big mix, from the music we like (rock, progressive, ethnic, e.t.c...)

And, yes, i'm not so good too, but i love music and i like playing the bass...
Ankhanu
Sounds like you've got an interesting mix in your band... I imagine it has a big sound.
uvlt
yes, it's interesting... You can have a taste from our earlier line up http://halicuti.blogspot.gr/ or on facebook (the halicuti band). Of course, it's all ...Greek!
Puffycheeses
I have been playing bass for about 4 years now and its really enjoyable, Simple yet you can master it!