FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is cross breeding between insects and spiders possible?

robin_rpj
I was just wondering if such a thing can even happen and how would you imagine the offspring would be?
Peterssidan
Not naturally, but it might be possible through genetic modification techniques.

Insects come in all kinds of shapes so there is a lot of room for imagination...

Spidhoppers (spider grasshopper) hunt by jumping from great distances and landing on its target.

Winged spiders (spider fly) can fly and catch prey in the air. If the prey is hard to catch it will try to use a thread of silk that is either shot at the prey or dangled from the abdomen in hope that the prey will get entangled in it.

Spider ants (spider ant) lives underground in colonies and have eight legs. It uses silk to strengthen the walls and to build bridges when necessary. The queen lays her eggs in sacs. Each egg sac contains hundreds of eggs which makes it easy for the workers to carry them away to quickly establish the colony on new territory.
Ankhanu
It's about as possible as cross-breeding a great-white shark and a human... there's about the same level of evolutionary and anatomical distance there.

Genetic combination of the two lineages may be possible through technology some day, but, it's far more likely that it will be at the individual gene level, selectively editing genes, rather than a full genome combination. There are many, many reasons as to why it wouldn't work... how many do you want?? Wink
robin_rpj
Na, I just wanted to know how it would be to imagine such a terrifying creature. I guess it may take another century or maybe less.
Ankhanu
Ah... not a science topic then.
restonpiston
Trying to keep the science in this post Very Happy.
To breed species one of the first requirements is that both of them have to have the same numbers of chromosomes.
If not, the resultant specimen will be sterile, as the mule (donkeys have 62 and horses have 64). Some other examples are the Wholphin and here you can find more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(biology)->(aparently i can't put it as a url, don't know why)

After fulfilling that condition, there are no warranties the species would be able to hybridize.
kitkat
So it has been done before? (Only with a chomosome count seperation of 2 I assume)
Ankhanu
kitkat wrote:
So it has been done before? (Only with a chomosome count seperation of 2 I assume)

No.

MODERATOR - I'm moving this out of the Science forums, it's just an imagination game.
loveandormoney
robin_rpj wrote:
I was just wondering if such a thing can even happen and how would you imagine the offspring would be?

Lets imagine.

How is the social system of the ant?
How is the social system of the spider.

Question: Who is the daddy?