FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Oil from Old Tires

BigGeek
Here is another one I thought I would share. I know in the US it is a huge problem, there are land fills full of old tires just laying across acres of land,, filling up gullies and stacked into piles. When they catch on fire it is a big disaster, and they leach all sorts of chemicals into the ground water. Apparently Australia has the same issue. I would imagine Europe, Canada, Mexico, South American Countries all have a similar problem!

Here is a way to recycle them and turn the back into oil!

deanhills
Great idea BigGeek. Wonder about the environmental consequences of the project though. I notice the black smoke, and if they should go large scale production, how they would be able to manage the fall off from the project?
standready
Used tires can also be ground up and used in making asphalt for roads.
BigGeek
deanhills wrote:
Great idea BigGeek. Wonder about the environmental consequences of the project though. I notice the black smoke, and if they should go large scale production, how they would be able to manage the fall off from the project?

Not sure how they would handle the fall off in production as the junk tires start to get used up. However part of the problem with old tires is that there is no way to recycle them. Once they wear out they cannot be used, and other than a few places that grind them up and use them in asphalt the majority of them continue to fill up dumps and land fills and there is no way to dispose of them other than burring them. So the idea of turning them into fuel seems to be to be a great idea. Even if they use up all the reserves in landfills - they will always have a supply of them as more cars every year need new tires and the old ones will always need to be disposed of! So as long as there are cars, and they have tires, there will be used tires in need of recycling or turning into fuel!
andy26
Yeah used tires are recycled as much as possible in the UK such as kids playground floors its nice and spongy i they are used to reinforce crash posts too. I know in places in Europe such as Belgium instead of road cones they use these flat faced tall signs and the bases are made from old tyres.

I just done think the US is as environmental conscious as Europe considering in Europe countries are heavily fined if they don't meet C02 lowering quotas and such i mean if the US was one of the things to go would be the high amount of 5-10 mpg trucks.