FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Copying Graphical User Interface

jestoy0514
Hi good evening. I wanted to know if copying graphical user interface is okay and will not be subjected to any copyright thing? Graphics/Image is not included just the layout and step by step process to do things around the software.
Marcuzzo
jestoy0514 wrote:
Hi good evening. I wanted to know if copying graphical user interface is okay and will not be subjected to any copyright thing? Graphics/Image is not included just the layout and step by step process to do things around the software.

Unless you're looking at free Open Source ( copy left ) software, I'm pretty sure that it is not OK.

how would you feel if somebody copied your layout Wink
amagard
Just yesterday I heard about watch manufacturer who sue smart watch producer for stealing their clock face designs and providing those on their smart watches. ( see for instance this article )

A layout or GUI is subject to copyright rules like anything else.
jestoy0514
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I don't want to run into any some sort of trouble.
sailor69
It is pretty common to copy the layout of websites that you like the layout of. I'm not sure it is enforceable, unless the site owner has copyrighted it and the site explicitly states this prominently each page, especially if that statement is near the top. I also am not sure if layout is copyrightable in the first place.

It may be useful to contact the website personnel and make sure of this, via the contact info provided on the site. If you offer a free text ad "Layout inspired by [that website]" they would get a little free advertising out of it and might be satisfied with that. It would be better if it is not a competing site, and if your material is not offensive to them or their audience.