FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB on My Router

Possum
I see there are lots of routers with USB on them. Im wondering if I could use the USB port to connect a computer to the internet. The4 reason I would like to do this the raspberry PI Zero has no Ethernet port..

Just a thought
badai
i don't think so. it's just like usb port on computer where you can plug in usb storage, or charge your phone. it won't give out IP address or anything.
Ankhanu
Yeah, generally the USB port is for networked storage media, and/or plugging in for diagnostics. I haven't seen one that uses USB for routing... though it's not impossible.

Your best bet is to grab an USB ethernet adapter (and probably a hub for more ports) and use that; or an USB wireless adapter.
jestoy0514
I think the usb port from a router generally use for 3g/4g usb dongle in that way your router can access to the internet instead of the ethernet port or wifi. With regards to the Raspberry Pi Zero, might as well get a 3g/4g usb dongle for the internet or a cheap usb ethernet might do the trick. I hope this helps you.
jazz_fan
1. If you need a wired internet connection, best soulution is to buy a usb<->ethernet adapter.
For 10/100 MGbit/s connection, try
Code:
D-link DUB-E100
(USB2.0 <-> 10/100 ETH)

For Gigabit connection, try
Code:
TP-link UE300
(USB3.0 <-> Gigabit ETH)
Both devices supports linux.

2. Maybe your rapspberry pi has wi-fi on it, so why don't use wireless connection instead?

3. And the most exotic solutions - buy a chaep used ADSL usb router. Configure it as bridge, and use internal eth and usb ports. Examples are
Code:
D-link DSL-502T
Zyxel P660RU2