FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux Anti-virus

Jack_Hammer
Are there any good Linux anti-virus software for Linux (Fedora x86_64).
Arnie
According to Google
Donutey
Other than running a linux server, is there really a legitamite threat of viruses for linux? I don't know, but I've had secondary linux box that i play with on occassion (light programming) and haven't had a problem with it. (Though i realize that this may not be the norm)
Jack_Hammer
Donutey wrote:
Other than running a linux server, is there really a legitamite threat of viruses for linux? I don't know, but I've had secondary linux box that i play with on occassion (light programming) and haven't had a problem with it. (Though i realize that this may not be the norm)

Better safe than sorry
Wink
bananaphone
Thats the point of Linux - no viruses!
OK so there are some - but they are very rare.
charliehk
Linux - no virus? I don't think so. They even created rootkit which replaces the commands in Linux like ps and ls so that the virus would not be detected. Terrible? Confused
budazz
sooner or later it will have one
Naif
rootkits are completely different from viruses. A virus can infect a Linux(Unix for that matter) system if and only if its run as root. There are applications avaiable which you can use to find if whether a rootkit has been installed on your system.

Here is a list of antivirus softwares available for Linux:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/openantivirus/mini-faq/av-unix_e.txt?rev=HEAD

Occaisionally I scan my Linux box using Panda AV for Linux which can be downloaded from
http://enterprises.pandasoftware.com/download/linux/linux.asp

By the way, its been a year since I installed Linux(Ubuntu) on my system but I havent found any infections yet Smile
n0xvb
Naif wrote:
rootkits are completely different from viruses. A virus can infect a Linux(Unix for that matter) system if and only if its run as root.

This is the key: you should NEVER run as root and you will not have a problem. The way a virus spreads is by infecting files, if you do not have permissions to the system files then you will never infect them.
If you look at the viruses that are out there now, the majority of them use the macro abilities of Windows to run in. (i.e. VB and ActiveX) Linux does not have this same "macro-ing" ability.

I think there have been two viruses created, Bliss and Staog and the rate at which they can actually replicate and spread is much lower than the rate that the Linux system stops them.

These are probably the biggest reasons there has never been a Linux virus to actually survive in the wild.
pjv
You can try Clam Anti-virus @ www.clamav.net

It's a free anti-virus toolkit for unix/linux sytems. It is mainly use to scan email attachments, here are the other features:

* command-line scanner
* fast, multi-threaded daemon
* milter interface for sendmail
* database updater with support for digital signatures
* virus scanner C library
* on-access scanning (Linux® and FreeBSD)
* detection of over 40000 viruses, worms and trojans
* built-in support for RAR (2.0), Zip, Gzip, Bzip2, Tar, MS OLE2, MS Cabinet files, MS CHM (Compressed HTML), MS SZDD
* built-in support for mbox, Maildir and raw mail files
* built-in support for Portable Executable files compressed with UPX, FSG, and Petite
mwm
CLAM is the one. I ven use it on my qindows based PC's. Fast, reliable and FREE

-mwm
slashgrab
Why don't you try Panda for Linux? It's free and actually quite good.
Panda Website wrote:
Panda Antivirus for Linux is an antivirus for Linux servers and desktops. It is an antivirus designed to be managed from the command line or console. To do this, an executable called PAVCL will be used.

The aim of Panda Antivirus for Linux is to scan and disinfect Windows and DOS workstations connected to a Linux server, as well as the Linux server itself.

Panda Antivirus for Linux scans files using both string searches and heuristic methods. The target files of the antivirus are Word documents, Java Applets, ActiveX controls and compressed files (ZIP, RAR, etc.). At the moment, it does not scan the boot sector or the partitions table.

Panda Antivirus for Linux is a freeware version: Panda Software does not offer technical support for this software.

You can get it at: http://enterprises.pandasoftware.com/download/linux/linux.asp
desertwind
CLAM AV is the best available.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamav/
Helios
Just a waste of space on yer HD Razz

Scan for rootkits once a month and you're done.
cheeta
what about good old AVG??

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/linux/lng/us/tpl/tpl01?prd=lms.10.0.0
squirrelmaster
in my experience with avg, (been using for a little over a year on windows machine)
it has been good to quarintine and search for virus, with updates almost weekly, but really it's not the best firewall i've used
the best firewall would be zoneAlarm.
but then with zoneAlarm also blocks my lan games, so i stopped using it!
(was to lazy to mess with port forwarding!)
Dino
I don`t know why you need a AV program becouse I don`t know anyone who had a virus on his machine, but as you said it`s better to prepare your comp for something like that Smile
Arnie
Squirrel, AVG isn't a firewall as far as I know, but only AV.
squirrelmaster
really??

so, that's why I have had a little problems lately, (not sure of cause)

Arrow Is there a virus that causes a USB device to power surge the computer?

because that was my other computer's last words...

or was it the stupid MP3 player that messed my computer up????
rex123
I think ClamAV is the one to use. And there are lots of reasons for wanting to run a virus scanner on Linux. For one thing, the files are often accessed by Windows machines. I scan all incoming mail on a mail server with ClamAV, and it works really nicely, updates itself periodically, and catches mail viruses before they arrive at people's PCs, so they don't have to run horrible Norton etc if they are Windows users.

The idea that Linux gets no viruses is a bit of a myth. Virus writers target Windows because home users are mainly windows users, and viruses mainly transmit via home users. But there are viruses (or, more properly, worms) that transmit via servers, and many of those target badly configured linux machines, especially those running open-source php applications (awstats, phpbb, etc etc)
looksbad
Get NOD32 by ESET the most amazing A-V solution i have ever used and ive used alot of the big names. Like Symantec (performed really poorley) Mcafee Trend Micro , AVG and many others.

NOD32 has done a great job and they are one of the only companies to not miss a single virus in the wild.. Its a quick and easy install and comes with great features. It is one of the smallest memory using av programs so speed is not destroyed. on a test from 3 month old signature updates it performed better than all other big a-v programs by 80%

So if you want a safe secure program that runs on many OS get NOD32 my friend runs it on Linux. I run it on Windows Xp

Go to www.eset.com for more info its worth a look!
ezekiel_rage
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Are there any good Linux anti-virus software for Linux (Fedora x86_64).

If you are running a web server, or a any server for that matter, that have windows machines connected to it. then you need an anti-virus.

but if your machine is for your own use only, then you dont really need to install an anti-virus.

you will just add UNNECESSARY system load. as the others have pointed out, you're better off with best practices rather than installing an anti-virus.

indeed the key is, unless you really need to dont run any script or binaries as root.

The main point of installing anti-virus solutions to a linux machine is if its a server. NOT to protect the server itself BUT THE WINDOWS CLIENTS that are attached to the linux server.

for example if you are running a linux web server, you need to install an anti-virus to ensure that all files coming in and going out from your server is not infected with a virus that may harm your Windows based clients.
iammarty
let try this BitDefender Linux Free Edition
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/view/Download-Free-Products.html