FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I just number two-ed a brick

sailor69
My wood burner furnace overheated A LOT earlier today, here in Maine. It was at about 260 degrees Fahrenheit. WAY too much hot-burning firewood got put in it. The oil company set the safe limit at 200 degrees Fahrenheit (about 95 degrees Celcius), probably because that furnace works by heating water inside the furnace which is then circulated through baseboard heaters throughout the house. So when the water reaches 212 F, it starts to evaporate. When the chamber has no more liquid in it, the inner chamber starts to melt.

So I was moving my bowels in a brick-like shape, and they were fire-hardened.

I have just registered a subdomain on Frihost--furnacesafety.boatsafety.frihost.com. I'll try to reconfigure it later to furnacesafety.frihost.com under my account, but that's for later, or maybe ask to get my main subdomain changed. Right now I'm just winding down and too keyed up to sleep.

It does appear that there is little information online on this aspect of firewood safety. Given that the biggest difficulty for me right now in building websites is finding and writing up content, I do believe that a subforum on researching our site topics, at least for education sites. When I wind down, I'll get to that.

(Edited once)
standready
After overheating your heating system, you need to have someone inspect the system for your safety!
When water reaches 212 degrees (F), it does NOT 'evaporate', it turns to steam! In closed loop system that means a pressure build up which your system may not be designed for.
Even the structure of the furnace itself may have been weaken by the 260 degrees (F) depending on where that temperature was recorded. Parts may have been much hotter and possibly weaken.
standready
As for your other problem, take a softner! Laughing
sailor69
I do know about the steam. It vented A LOT. I got lost in clouds of it. Confused The steam was the problem in the first place. It was not inside the furnace to cool it off.

Seriously, I think it's alright now. It's spring here, and the temp in the house is comfortable. Hopefully, my housemate won't turn on the oil, which I am not sure is reliable, nor the circulators. It's not my house, the owner doesn't want to spend the money for inspection (and this is someone I care about and do not want left alone there because of it). Someone from the installer did come by for free==checking the wood furnace.

When it overheated, we were using both oil and wood heat at the same time. I eventually figured out we could only use one at a time. The instructions we were given (and explained by the installers) explicitly state we can use the oil pilot light to light the wood fire, but that flame is about fifteen inches above where the flame needs to be for that purpose and an arm's length into the furnace chamber. You would have to hold the paper to the flame to light it and then put it beneath the tinder.

I believe it is because of that instruction that the owner/housemate (my mother) kept asking me to keep the fire going because "I just don't want the flame to go out" and not because of the heat in the house or the temperature of the furnace, or so it seemed.

I love her but I would get exasperated and got angry with her few times. It was as much a fear reaction as genuine concern. And now I wonder a little, in part because of my BA in Sociology, how much I did so out of fear for my own safety and not hers. That seems a small thing sometimes, but that kind of balance of risk during crisis is important to me, so also is remaining calm in a crisis.
standready
I am a bit surprised that a 'closed loop' system would vent the steam unless the steam was coming out the pressure relief valve.
Due to the pressure and heat, you really should get the entire system inspected before the next heat season.
sailor69
The installers do an annual checkup, usually in the fall. It's part of the sales agreement.

It does have a pressure relief valve. That's what it releases from. Water gets pumped back in once it cools down, probably because the pressure in the tank goes down with temperature.
standready
sailor69 wrote:
The installers do an annual checkup, usually in the fall. It's part of the sales agreement.

That is good. You need to tell them what happen (temperature and pressure) so they can inspect more carefully and perhaps make adjustments to avoid those problems.
Da Rossa
A "furnace" is something VERY outside of my world... I'm thinking of joining an Engineering course just to develop some way to reduce the temperature in here... Central Brazil.