FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Please deal with the stickies

Da Rossa
Apart from many factors already discussed here, the sticky topics are also a means to scary away new users and veterans too.

They're absolutely outdated and clutter up the topics list. Take a look, for instance, at General Chat, which has 4 stickies and 1 announcement. Not to mention the one about the IRC channel that has got its last post over 14 months ago.

Since the stickies are the necessary way to have important messages be read by the people, at least condense, merge them to have at most 1 per forum.

Please, think about this. Smile[/url]
deanhills
Great idea Da Rossa. I have been removing of the Announcements and Sticky posts in some of the other Forums, but only as needed. There is definitely some pruning needed, or maybe some of the very popular "What are you listening to" stickies could be closed and new ones started.

Which of the stickies do you think need to be removed in the General Chat Forum? Bearing in mind that they are not there to be responded to, but are important reference rules and information posts.

Bondings' Announcement about Rules for the General Chat Forum is important - like an almost structural element of the Forum. Like countermanding the Big Boss. I don't think it is a good idea to remove it. He'll miss it if he returns. Wink

The Guidelines for Quality Posts need to stay - Second Big Boss tiDrug. You may know what a quality post is but most new people don't. We often use this link too for people who are posting gibberish. It's probably one of the most important stickies and should preferably be stickied to every Frihost Forum.

The IRC Channel is up to Ankhanu. Ankhanu has been the lead person in it. Even if the posts are out of date, the IRC Channel gets noticed. I personally think it should stay, subject to Ankhanu's thoughts.

So in General Chat Forum I think there is not much that can be removed. But in other Forums I've noticed some of the sticky posts or announcements being out of date and I'll work on those systematically when I have a chance. Maybe over the December holidays.
Da Rossa
Quote:

Which of the stickies do you think need to be removed in the General Chat Forum? Bearing in mind that they are not there to be responded to, but are important reference rules and information posts.

Lets go, and I excuse myself to disagree. The main reasons are the fact that it takes space and how long it's been since the last post, which is demotivating for new users.

The Official FriHost IRC Channel! - Last post on Sep 2015

[official] Feedback for the Frihost Staff - Last post on Oct 2014

Posting Guidelines / Guidelines to Make Quality Posts - Could be floating or visible on other area, which would require the necessary update of the forum's template

[url=Have you read the forum description?]Have you read the forum description?[/url] - Same as above, shouldn't take a topic on the list to say that.

And that is the General Chat forum only! Just an example.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Quote:

Lets go, and I excuse myself to disagree. The main reasons are the fact that it takes space and how long it's been since the last post, which is demotivating for new users.

The Official FriHost IRC Channel! - Last post on Sep 2015

[official] Feedback for the Frihost Staff - Last post on Oct 2014

Posting Guidelines / Guidelines to Make Quality Posts - Could be floating or visible on other area, which would require the necessary update of the forum's template

[url=Have you read the forum description?]Have you read the forum description?[/url] - Same as above, shouldn't take a topic on the list to say that.

And that is the General Chat forum only! Just an example.
The sticky threads in the General Chat Forum are not for discussion, they are for information, so still have value regardless of whether someone has last posted to them a few years ago. Wish we could change the template and tweak the design of Frihost, but regretfully we cannot - only Bondings can, think this has been previously explained in a number of threads you may have missed. We can only work with what we have - we don't have any of the privileges needed to change the design, functionality, look or structure of the Forum.
Da Rossa
Quote:
Wish we could change the template and tweak the design of Frihost, but regretfully we cannot - only Bondings can, think this has been previously explained in a number of threads you may have missed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be repetitive. I understand. Maybe one day Bondings take a look at our urges about the template!

But did you get the point? There are four stickies when it should be not more than one. I understand the importance in the subject matter, but I'm solely thinking about the new user's perspective.

Thanks anyway, Dean! Smile
deanhills
I get the point Da Rossa, thanks for understanding. And thank you for the suggestion.