FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I change my domain name?

Haiku2016
Just wondering, is it very difficult to change my domain name? I currently have a free domain under Frihost.com. I used a name that works for me now but which I may want to drop later. If I could rename the domain, I'll probably give it something more generic like haiku54.frihost.com or something like that. Not that I want to change it at this time but just wondering if I'm stuck with my current choice.
Marcuzzo
I think you actually can, I had done it once but don't remember exactly how I had requested it.
check under http://www.frihost.com/account/ you may have an option there.
deanhills
Actually on Server 1 only the Admin can do it in WHM. If you should decide to change the domain later on, please make a request by opening a thread in Web Hosting Support Forum.
Ankhanu
Alternatively, if you have access to a domain host (there are some free options), you can point the domain to your FriHost account.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Alternatively, if you have access to a domain host (there are some free options), you can point the domain to your FriHost account.
True. He could create an add on domain with the add on domain tool in cPanel, then add the frihost.net name servers at his domain Registrar. He just has to make sure he uploads the Website to the root of the add on domain. He'll be able to do that with the File Manager tool that is available in cPanel. The File Manager tool upon opening provides a drop-down list of his domains, so all he needs to do is select the add on domain he wants to upload his files to, and it will be uploaded to the root of that add on domain. He can have a number of add on domains depending on their size. Technically in cPanel he can have many more domains limited by the size and traffic - 1.5 GB disk space and 35 GB Bandwidth of his hosting account.

Quote:
1500 MB of disk space
35 GB of traffic
No maximum file size
A free subdomain of your choice (eg. yoursite.frihost.org)
Unlimited domains and subdomains of your own
Php, perl, python, cgi, ssi and other scripting languages
Unlimited MySQL databases
Ftp access and browser uploads
Unlimited email accounts

Source: Home page of Frihost
Haiku2016
Thank you both for all this information. I'm not thinking of changing yet, but good to know. Now, do you have a short and easy tutorial on how I can get a website up? I don't know cPanel at all, don't know Linux nor Unix, never started a website from scratch like this and I want to test out Python programming. The most difficult website I ever created was to write a html file and upload it via ftp, back in the early 90s, before CSS was born. It was just one file, with images in a separate folder.
Ankhanu
I honestly haven't done much in recent years (read that as "anything"), but historically I build my websites locally, and made sure that all my file path references are generalized, so that the whole thing can be ported to different locations and maintain function. So, with that in mind, I build it, then just upload it to wherever it's being hosted with the same file/directory/reference structure. I've only looked at Python, and haven't actually learned it myself, so can't help you there.
deanhills
Haiku2016 wrote:
Thank you both for all this information. I'm not thinking of changing yet, but good to know. Now, do you have a short and easy tutorial on how I can get a website up? I don't know cPanel at all, don't know Linux nor Unix, never started a website from scratch like this and I want to test out Python programming. The most difficult website I ever created was to write a html file and upload it via ftp, back in the early 90s, before CSS was born. It was just one file, with images in a separate folder.

Easiest is to start a WordPress site and learn how to use WordPress. There are a number of step by step guides in YouTube that you can Google, but this one is a good one. It gives you some insight in how to set up a Website and WordPress step by step.

Note: WordPress is available for download from cPanel in the Software section - Site Software