FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting started...

Haiku2016
I just got my free website. Yayy! Now what do I do? I'm familiar with DOS, Windows but not UNIX/LINUX. Can do a bit of programming with BASIC, know a bit of HTML and now learning, or trying to learn Python. I just changed my password, and oops, not allowed to do that. OK, no problem. But...

Is there a thread around here that I can go to to take me through the steps of logging in, and starting my first website? Don't want to trouble you guys with daily requests as I take my baby steps here.

Yayy!!! I'm so happy I got my website.
Marcuzzo
Since the question is pretty vague, I'll try to reply as good as possible.

the steps you are asking about are pretty simple, in your account page you can see the servers address.
you should have also received a message from the account creator with your login details.

using the url, username and password you can access your cpanel at yourhost.frihost.net/cpanel ( replace 'yourhost' with your actual hostname

Getting your website online is not specific to frihost, if you've ever created a website, the same procedure applies here.

to get started you need to upload your files to the server.
you can either use an FTP client like filezilla or you could even use the cmd-prompt in windows.

Code:

C:\Users\marcuzzo>ftp
ftp> open [your host]
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 10:28. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User ([YOU Host]:(none)): [your userid]
331 User [your userid] OK. Password required
Password:
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful
150 Connecting to port 18370
.bash_logout
.bash_profile
.bashrc

You can then upload the files of your website to the server once you've successfully FTP'd into your hosting.

'Starting a website' doesn't have e set of rules, basically you just put the needed files on the server and that's it.

coding the website and designing the website, that's where the fun ( frustration ) begins.

if you need more help, please try to be more specific
Haiku2016
Dear Marcuzzo, that was very helpful. Many thanks. I've been reading up on cPanel and will try to find some time to give it a whirl over the next week or so. Really appreciate this.