FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Saving Frihost?

Haiku2016
First off, I want to thank everyone who responded to my posts. It seems like there is a thriving community here after all. I want to stay here, not just for the free website, and perhaps free domain, but also because I think I have like-minded people here, people who perhaps share my interests and outlook in life. Certainly, people who can help me develop my Web programming skills.

First question: does Frihost need saving?
Are you guys happy the way things are? Do we need change? Is Frihost at risk?

If Frihost needs saving, are you interested in exploring this with me? We may have to revisit old ground, so please bear with me.
deanhills
Thanks for your very positive suggestion. If you check through previous threads in the Suggestions Forum you will notice countless suggestions that have been discussed. For the last few years none of them have been implemented as (a) the owner has been absent from the Forum since 2013 (however he has been impeccable in looking after our Servers and paying all of the bills for which we are very much grateful) and (b) even when the owner was present he was selective in that which got implemented.

I suggest you revisit Ankhanu's post below in the Hosting Support Forum - particularly this paragraph:
Ankhanu wrote:
The FriHost forums are old, they're large, and they're heavily customized. Suggestions are welcome, but only a few are ever implemented. Even when the site owner was more heavily involved, he picked and chose what suggestions to implement carefully, and generally scripted the changes himself. Further changes always have to be balanced against the difficulty of integration with the existing code, what impacts it might have on other existing elements of the database, the time that will be required to develop and troubleshoot them, and the benefit of their proper implementation. Changing an existing structure isn't as easy as building a new one Wink

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1204309.html#1204309

For those of us who have been here for a long while we have learned to settle down and work with what is available. I don't want to discourage you from making suggestions, but maybe the above will provide you with a greater understanding of the reality of Frihost. We live for the day. Better to focus on the other Forums and contributions that you can make that can lead to meaningful discussion as you may not find the response to this thread that you are hoping for.
Haiku2016
Dear deanhills, I'm happy to oblige. There's no point in pursuing this if no one's interested and I get that we can get discouraged. In fact, the commitment that's still here speaks a lot for those who stayed. To be honest, I don't think I have the solution. But I feel the people here are smart, and if I can be of some help (while at the same time helping myself), why not.

The most important part is the energy. If there were enthusiasm, I was going to move to the business model. Chatrooms are still thriving today. I've joined a few and they seem to be going strong. Frihost has blogs too. And blogs can make money as well. Free websites are always popular, although the trend is for sophisticated editors that do all the hard work for you and all you do is drag and drop. But there are those like me who wants to dig deeper.

Frihost seems to have the right ingredients - chatrooms, blogging, websites - and yet it's not thriving as it should. I'm not sure why. Does it really need to change its infrastructure? It seems to me that the people coming here are probably willing and able to get around the difficult bits. And if they're computer geeks, they would probably be proud of the heritage.

Does Frihost itself need to be profitable? Can we, for example, make money from the blogs and direct some of it at least to Frihost? I noticed there are more visitors to my posts than replies. A lot more. Like more than a hundred visitors and zero replies. Maybe my posts are not interesting enough. What would make interesting posts?

So, I'm wondering. Who are our Frihost members? What are we interested in? Maybe we can talk about that? At least that will keep us dropping in. For example, I think we're on the verge of another computer revolution - Artificial Intelligence. We can now talk to our phones, we have cars that drive themselves, and IBM's Watson just fooled Georgia Tech students into thinking it's human. I'm sure you guys have something more intelligent to say about this than elsewhere. I reckon we'll probably be talking to our watches and the phone will be more a personal computer that we'll plug into various screens as we need to. Or maybe not even that - it'll all be on the Cloud. We'll carry an iPad and it'll do everything we need beyond our smart watch/phone.

I just read a journal paper on smart homes that will predict when you might be coming home and know to turn on aircon so that the house is at the right temperature when you arrive.

What's the latest? I'm sure you guys know stuff that most other people in the world wouldn't know. I'd like to hear them. So you have an inside scoop?
Haiku2016
Quote:
Thanks for your very positive suggestion. If you check through previous threads in the Suggestions Forum you will notice countless suggestions that have been discussed. For the last few years none of them have been implemented as (a) the owner has been absent from the Forum since 2013 (however he has been impeccable in looking after our Servers and paying all of the bills for which we are very much grateful) and (b) even when the owner was present he was selective in that which got implemented.

So, what can we do without his 'approval'? More importantly, what do we want to do, if anything? To be honest, I see myself going one of two ways. I don't see myself being very active in the forums. There are like 4-5 posts a day. And it's unlikely that I will be interested in most of them (that's just normal statistics - pick up a newspaper and we'll probably read less than 10% of what's in it). The other way is to get to know some of you more deeply, and develop a relationship with a small group. Both are fine with me.

Can someone give me some stats about Frihost?
- how many visitors do you have a day?
- how many new members?
- are you generating any income at all? I thought the aim of the forum is advertisement. But I don't see any (maybe one on the homepage). Why aren't there more advertisements?
deanhills
Haiku2016 wrote:
I don't see myself being very active in the forums.
Our business here is posting for a hosting account. If you feel that for some reason you are unable to make posts, you may have to consider that this is not the right host for you. Otherwise don't stress about it. Just make sure you keep your points above zero and your hosting account should be fine.

Warning: Please note that double posting is against the Frihost Forum Rules. If you like you can edit the first post you made and add information, but in future we will be deleting the second post when two posts have been made consecutively. Refer Frihost Rules Related to Posts (Paragraph n).
Haiku2016
Many thanks, deanhills, for the warning. How does it work, i.e. make money?
deanhills
Haiku2016 wrote:
Many thanks, deanhills, for the warning. How does it work, i.e. make money?

Through advertising.
If you check the Frihost FAQs - it's the first topic:

Quote:
Q: Why do I need to be active on your forums?
First of all, we need to cover our costs. Instead of placing advertisements on your websites, we place them on our own website.
Haiku2016
OK. I get it, kinda.
deanhills
Haiku2016 wrote:
OK. I get it, kinda.
Right. There is a wealth of information you can work through that are linked on the Frihost home page. If you work through the FAQs, the owner Bondings' Frihost Official blog posts and the TOS there is plenty of material there too. The Frihost Search feature is also one of the best I've come across at forums.

For now I'm closing this thread. If you want it re-opened for any special reason please PM me.