FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fullstack frameworks or micro frameworks?

lauthiamkok
Fullstack frameworks or micro frameworks - which is worth going for in a long run?

For PHP, so far I am using Slim framework, not sure if I would go for a fullstack framework yet, but any good reasons to go for the fullstack?

As for NodeJS, I am on ExpressJS. Still it is a micro framework I guess. Using the micro framework seems giving me lots of flexibility.

For a CMS 'framework', I am on WordPress. To me it is an ugly piece of program when you dive into the WordPress coding. Is it worth developing your own CMS then?
SonLight
There are plenty of cms considered of high quality by many. Drupal, Django, and Joomla come to mind. Wordpress is sort of a lowest-common-denominator intended for new users; anyone competent to write or modify their own code likely would not want to work with its limitations.

I can't speak for the code quality of any, but many are open-source and supposedly designed for flexibility and extensibility. They probably all have a greater learning curve than wordpress, but I imagine a little experimentation with a couple of them would allow you to find one appropriate for everyday use as a content provider and worth your while to write extensions for, maybe even get involved in development.

If you do want to write some proprietary modules that you don't share, be sure to check the license carefully. If they use the new afero-something license, any changes to the core code are deemed distributed if used on a public website, so must be shared. I believe you can write addins and extensions though without sharing them.
SonLight
There are plenty of cms considered of high quality by many. Drupal, Django, and Joomla come to mind. Wordpress is sort of a lowest-common-denominator intended for new users; anyone competent to write or modify their own code likely would not want to work with its limitations.

I can't speak for the code quality of any, but many are open-source and supposedly designed for flexibility and extensibility. They probably all have a greater learning curve than wordpress, but I imagine a little experimentation with a couple of them would allow you to find one appropriate for everyday use as a content provider and worth your while to write extensions for, maybe even get involved in development.

If you do want to write some proprietary modules that you don't share, be sure to check the license carefully. If they use the new afero-something license, any changes to the core code are deemed distributed if used on a public website, so must be shared. I believe you can write addins and extensions though without sharing them.
lauthiamkok
SonLight wrote:

Which Django are you referring it to? Django itself is a fullstack framework, isn't?
schoolsen
For my blog I use WordPress. But for my interactive websites I use Flask. Flask is very simple to understand and I like Jinja Templating.