FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I install CGI-Node in my CGI wrapper?

ratanegra
I'm developing some stuff these days but it's all on node.js and I was thinking about using this hosting for that, but as I didn't find any way to install anything apart from the CGI wrapper I was wondering whether I could use this (github) and not cause server-side troubles. I know nothing about CGI except that it does present some security risks.

edit: just found an example here: https://brianmckenna.org/blog/nodejs_via_cgi
deanhills
It should be OK to use, but you obviously need to exercise care, particularly if you're new to using it.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use WordPress though? Why do you want to use node.js?
ratanegra
deanhills wrote:
It should be OK to use, but you obviously need to exercise care, particularly if you're new to using it.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use WordPress though? Why do you want to use node.js?

Lol because I'm learning Javascript and have written quite a few node scripties. I even made 2 bots for Telegram with it. One translates and does some basic stuff like requesting strings from the internet with http protocols, the other one stores and requests file IDs in MongoDB and sends them to the chat.

Basically I'm trying to learn more. I already use node.js on a server to run my bots but it's normal node.js. CGI Node does look quuiiiite hard for a beginner like me so I'm actually a tiny bit reluctant to make the effort hahaha. However I think that it would be good for my learning process. I don't actually run a node server locally, so now that I think about it I should learn a bit more (I've been learning JS for 2 weeks lol; I've made a lot of progress tho).
deanhills
ratanegra wrote:
Basically I'm trying to learn more. I already use node.js on a server to run my bots but it's normal node.js. CGI Node does look quuiiiite hard for a beginner like me so I'm actually a tiny bit reluctant to make the effort hahaha. However I think that it would be good for my learning process. I don't actually run a node server locally, so now that I think about it I should learn a bit more (I've been learning JS for 2 weeks lol; I've made a lot of progress tho).
Looks as though you're well on your way to becoming a Geek - well done! Cool