FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can fish sleep?

sailor69
Can fish sleep? I know of speculation that sharks can sleep, but not of fish. And most fish are more advanced on the evolutionary scale than sharks.
Ankhanu
(Some) Fish absolutely sleep.

Part of the problem with how we tend to frame a question like this is our tendency to anthropomorphise; we assume that other organisms have the same sort of experiences that we do. Different animals go about many of the same sorts of biological processes or experiences in different ways, and sleep is one of them.
In some instances, fish species hunker down and sleep all night/day like we do (e.g. check out parrot fish); if you have an aquarium when you turn on the lights in the middle of the night, you'll notice that some of the fish will be resting on the bottom, or some other surface in a trance-like state. Some reach this state while still floating in the water column, rather than resting on the bottom.
Some of the sharks, and other pelagic (open ocean) fishes are suspected to sleep in short bursts while still in motion... others don't seem to.
loveandormoney
Suere.
Fish do sleep.
It depends
living in a river
or 300 meters below thge surface.
cps31
So this is something new for me. Interesting!
jestoy0514
Yes fish sleep, last night I gave a fish a pillow and blanket. Just kidding. Very Happy