FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are searchbots in Frihost allowed and ethical?

sailor69
I would like to know if searchbots in Frihost allowed and ethical?

I have heard that searchbots can be written in almost any server-side language, including PHP. Some websites, including this forum, have very useful information that I would like to be able to read when offline. (Internet service where I live is spotty, and online traffic slows things down at times.) Some forum posts here, for example, have good code or long lists of links that are useful, but it would be easier to have my own copies of them in a more automated fashion. The same could used to find information on sites hosted on Frihost, if I can find them.

An important issue with copying such pages is potential loss of ad income to gained from those pages. Other than the honor system, I have no solution at this time.

I have found some code for searchbots in PHP, but I am not prepared to post it here until this is affirmed, and posting it is allowed.
Marcuzzo
Not sure if scraping is allowed.
If you want to view the website offline yoy can always save it...
deanhills
sailor69 wrote:
I have found some code for searchbots in PHP, but I am not prepared to post it here until this is affirmed, and posting it is allowed.
If you check the TOS, it is not allowed.
http://www.frihost.com/tos.php
sailor69
Thank you. I will not do so.

I did find the relevant section in the TOS. (Part C, item 15) I will abide by it.

Quote:
Websites providing proxy services to its users or any other automatic retrieval of webpages or files including (search engine) crawlers/bots.

I at first did not see the part "or any other automatic retrieval". That may be unfortunate, or at least a little more work for me, but that's alright.