FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pronunciation of J in Spanish

Peterssidan
Hello, I'm hoping there are some Spanish talking people around, or someone else who knows Spanish pretty well.

When learning Spanish years ago I was taught that J is pronounced ... not sure how to describe it in English ... a bit similar to the sound of someone clearing his throat, I guess.

Later in my life I have heard people say Mexican food related words like Fajita and Jalapeño with the J pronounced as an H.

I'm wondering if these people are simply wrong or if this is a difference between Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish? Anyone knows?
Marcuzzo
It sounds like a strong H

Peterssidan
This Spanish lady describes it as the sound of a coffeemaker.

Maybe I shouldn't be having this discussion in English because in my own language (Swedish) there are other letter combinations that I think gives a sound closer to a Spanish J than H does. For me an H (not a Spanish H) lets the air flow more freely while with a Spanish J you have the back of the tongue closer to the roof of the mouth.

But this is a bit besides the point. In both our videos you have to agree it doesn't sound exactly like the normal English H sound. Is this also how they pronounce it in Mexico? Do English speaking people pronounce Fajita and Jalapeño the way they do just because it's easier for them? If I pronounce these words with a proper Spanish pronunciation of J would I be wrong in doing so?