FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

September 11th 2001

Blaster
I remember this day like it was yesterday. This year the 15th anniversary just passed and I still remember being in 4th grade and about how my life would change forever because of that incident. I don't really recall the world before this day.

What makes it even more unreal is the fact that incoming high school freshmen are learning about it this year as an incident that occured before they were born. Some may have even been born on that day.

I guess I'm starting to feel old. Anyhow can anyone else remember where they were when they found out?
Ankhanu
I was on my way to my intro Anthropology/Sociology class. Obviously, none of us were getting live information at the time, being in class in a world without ubiquitous internet and smartphones, but it did spark off a semi-relevant discussion in the class concerning foreign policy and relations Razz

When I got home later in the day it was still unfolding, and I watched some of it with my wife (who is an American citizen).

I wouldn't say my life changed forever, though it certainly ushered in some changes. I'm sure if I were a Muslim, or otherwise brown skinned, my experience would have been somewhat different, however. Life got hard for them.
deanhills
This experience made a very profound impression on me. I've never really been trusting of news reports, but the whole "mis"reporting of the event and withholding of important information made me completely distrustful of the US Government and the US media. I remember the media actually guessing at facts and figures that varied by hundreds. That same sensational implosion of the twin towers being aired over and over and over again.

I remember I was working for a Fishery Renewal Government Agency in Vancouver, BC at the time on a temporary contract. All of us at work had been in absolute shock. Like I recall it being a very personal experience that completely rocked us and me personally. It felt surreal and completely incredible - didn't make sense for a country like the US to be as unprepared for an event like that. Also didn't make sense that someone from the Middle East could plan a project so meticulously and flawlessly from that distance. How was it possible for a passenger liner to be allowed to crash into a large building in New York. Things like that could only happen in the movies.

I was due to travel to the UAE for a three-year contract at end of September 2001, so of course I had to rethink moving to the Middle East particularly with being advised against by family and friends, but was very glad I went anyway. So much has happened since then that reinforced my thinking that very important facts had been withheld from the public. Particularly with the lie about Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq and the invasion of Iraq. As a matter of principle I don't trust what the US Government says and have no trust in what the media produces.
Blaster
I could go on a huge tangent about the U.S. Media but I won't as this isn't the topic.

But like you said it was scary to think how under prepared we were. As the years go by new documentaries come out about the day and I try to watch every one of them.

The reason my life changed wasn't relevant until later on. My major is in Emergency and Disaster management with a focus on terrorism. I have taken a great deal of classes on the topic and have learned a lot.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
My major is in Emergency and Disaster management with a focus on terrorism. I have taken a great deal of classes on the topic and have learned a lot.
Seems to be expert learning for what is going down these days. Reminds me of the fire fighters during September 11 and how many lives had been sacrificed in their attempts to save people.
Blaster
All too often people focus on the lives lost that day, specifically with the 343 New York City firemen that lost their life. But people tend to forget the amount of people that were saved by those firemen that day. Because of them many had a second chance to live.

The number of deaths is growing though with people that are getting sick from being down there. The number of 9/11 related deaths is on the rise due to cancers and other medical conditions.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
The number of deaths is growing though with people that are getting sick from being down there. The number of 9/11 related deaths is on the rise due to cancers and other medical conditions.
I've been wondering about that. Particularly respiratory type diseases. Probably would be difficult to quantify the fall off fatalities though?
Josso
I remember it was after school think I had a piano lesson, he didn't show because he was watching the news. didn't really get it until I got back home and we had live feeds on every channel nothing was running