FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A blast from the past.

Blaster
So I want to try and bring back a little bit of history. When I joined frihost I was 13 and in Middle School. I am now a college graduate and have a full time job and am looking at buying my first house in the next year.

For those of us that have been here for 10 years I challange you to look back at some of the posts that you first posted in. Add a bump to the topic and lets see if we can see how times have changed.

I did this to a particular topic that I posted in about computers in school. I found it interesting to see how times have changed both here and in the real world.
Ankhanu
Wow, Frih's been a part of your life for a long time. I mean, in basic numbers it's been in mine almost as long, but, in terms of the rate at which life changes in that stage of one's life, you've had this as part of your experience through most of the most important ones Razz I mean, when I joined, I was an adult graduate student, and now I'm just an adult... you've seen some major changes.

This old thread revival idea is fine, but do try to limit yourselves to threads in which new content will be meaningful and relevant. Your first choice qualifies, as much has changed since its inception.
standready
Yep, over 10 years here at Frihost though a few months less than Blaster. Not much has changed for me was old then and just keep getting older (though probably not any wiser).
Marcuzzo
I joined a few years later than you guys, back in 2008 I was 27 and had just started living together with my wife.
We weren't married at the time and weren't the proud parents of our beautiful son.

A lot of stuff happened in the last couple of years, some good, some bad, gotten fatter, balder and lean again Laughing

I've found my very first post : http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-838117.html&highlight=#838117
deanhills
I joined Frihost in May 2008. Main objective was hosting space. I'd never posted to a Forum before, it was my first Forum experience and there were some strange experiences, particularly since I liked to post and "too many posts" probably gave my posts the appearance of spam. I loved posting though, grew into a hobby and Frihost became a home on the Web to me.

What influenced my posting was a request in the Marketplace Forum to have advertising in my signature block for ncwdavid in return for 775 Frih $ with the proviso that I had to make at least one post every day. This is the thread where it was advertised in early January 2009:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-102097.html

This was the advertising block (without the links):
Quote:
Plumber Newcastle West Plumber Newcastle West Limerick Plumber Ardagh Plumber Limerick
Plumber Tralee Plumber Adare Plumber Abbeyfeale

I took the deal very seriously, so remember during the second month of the deal - February 2009 - I had to travel to Guernsey, and Guernsey had one of its worst snow falls in years. Everything was snowed out, and it was the time when computers in hotels or WiFi were not easily available. During the weekend I waded through the snow possibly about 5 km from St. Peter Port to downtown St. Peter Port to find a public computer. It was a Mac look alike that was built into a little room that had no heating and had open access for public use. One fed it coins. You can't believe how cold those keys had been, but I made my Frihost posts. Very Happy

After three months of daily posting it became a habit of sorts. I got completely hooked on Frihost.
william
At the risk of getting banned, I think I'll come clean...

I broke a forum rule the moment I joined Frihost. You know how phpBB, by default, requires its users to be at least 13 years of age? Well, um... Anxious (seriously, I was just joking about getting banned, please don't ban me XD ). Before joining Frihost, I had set up phpBB forums, among others, that had that age requirement. I had members who were under 13 (mostly friends of mine), so I figured it didn't matter. But, over time, I had seen a couple of posts getting a little sinister about people who just outed that they were under 13 (not by staff, mind you). So, I may have made some posts with some fake info (mostly about something I owned, IIRC) in order to avoid being identified. I could probably count them on one hand, but...dishonesty is no good, you know? And yeah, our schools did whatever they could to make us paranoid about using the internet back then.

I have looked at some of my old posts before, and then immediately closed the tab out of embarrassment. I sound like a stupid kid who's trying to act older than he is. It has, however, made it really easy to identify young ones on forums/reddit (ie. those whom you shouldn't debate with or get advice from). Aside from my super popular Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi thread, I couldn't bring myself to bump anything else. And by the way, Mexican Coke > Pepsi Throwback = Hansens Cola > Kroger Cola > Pepsi >= Coke > Jones Cola > Jarritos Cola.

Back in 2006, I was working on projects and learning new things. 2016...pretty much doing the same thing.

Please don't ban me.
Da Rossa
William! I remember you giving me valuable tips about acquiring a new PC!

In my case, I know I engaged in a deep and rather 'warm' discussion about the authorship of 9/11. I can't find the topic, but at the time, I argued that the US government was involved. People in here destroyed my arguments one by one. Then I realised I was being stupid. Well, for the most part. Today I only think there was some minor level of inner help, not necessarily from the higher ranks, otherwise that would be no way the terrorists got onboard the planes with knives and sprays.
deanhills
william wrote:
lol .... I'm curious William what age were you when you joined Frihost? Would never have guessed as your posts always showed great maturity.

Your post reminds me of Heady233, who claims he was 10 years old, and seems to have survived it as the staff didn't believe him lol. He provided quite a few entertaining threads. I did some searches and found this thread by Heady where he announced he was 10 years old:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-307970.html&highlight=#307970

Here was a fun thread of Heady233 with Blaster - looks as though Blaster loved poking fun at Heady:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-269112.html&highlight=#269112
Blaster
Da Rosa I remeber I posted a topic about 9/11 conspiracy and it had a heated discussion in it. http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-33279.html#572748 Didn't see anything from you in it though.

The thread between me and Heady was entertaining as well. I talked to him quite a bit outside of the forums here along with a few other people including as you saw Daniel15 and teenzine. I also talked to N4L several times before too.

The whole signature space for sale thing Dean lead to a big debate at one point, which actually got me and N4L talking. At one point he thought he could be a monopoly with it before I was able to talk him into letting me do it.

William you and me were in the same boat and I couldn't agree more with you. I look back at some things I posted and thought wow I look like a dumb kid (which in all fairness I was). At times I look back and think of how stupid I was, and how I now know that the world just doesn't work like that.
william
Woohoo, haven't gotten banned.

Da Rossa wrote:
William! I remember you giving me valuable tips about acquiring a new PC!

I remember that! Hope that worked out. I actually distinctly remember that because you were trying to recruit me into Politics/P&R/Relationships. Laughing Man, that was over half a decade ago. Time flies.

deanhills wrote:
lol .... I'm curious William what age were you when you joined Frihost? Would never have guessed as your posts always showed great maturity.

I was two, still haven't hit the big one-three, yet. Razz Nah, I was 12, so I wasn't that far below the age requirement. At 11 I was using Geocities/Freewebs along with dedicated forum hosts and before that I didn't have a computer (well, I had access to a family computer with 56 MB of RAM and a 4 GB hard drive, one of those that comes bundled with a dial-up internet package, so let's just say internet usage wasn't the best experience).

I do remember Heady233. I didn't pay his age any mind since I always assumed there were a bunch of us sub-13 year-olds on here, and most were just hiding. I knew a handful of people my age who used or even ran forums at the time and basically pretended they were older if they had to. I know with one forum a friend an I ran when we were 11/12, we had members who we knew were younger. But, back then, you didn't really want to talk about being on the web posting stuff. I know, for example, local news stations would do a bit of fear-mongering about children talking to strangers online. But hey, we were running the communities at the time and honestly figured we knew more than them. In retrospect, though, we actually did know more than them, but perhaps not as much as we thought we knew.

But, that's veering off topic. Heady233 was certainly an entertaining poster. I never really jumped into those conversations, but they were a fun read. @Blaster, I know you mentioned some time ago that you haven't been in touch with n4l, but any idea what happened to Heady, TeenZine, Daniel15, or the others? If you go through the member list and sort by lowest points, you'll find a lot of familiar and nostalgic names. Anyone remember Captain Fertile? Loved his posts and he's probably one the best members we've ever had.

Blaster wrote:
William you and me were in the same boat and I couldn't agree more with you. I look back at some things I posted and thought wow I look like a dumb kid (which in all fairness I was). At times I look back and think of how stupid I was, and how I now know that the world just doesn't work like that.

Yep. The forums I used to post on before Frihost are long gone, but I have a brief memory of what I used to post, and... *shudders*. The bright side, though, is that it gives you an appreciation for how much you've improved in knowledge, empathy, and in valuing others' perspectives. Since it's all available on the web, time-stamped, and unaltered, you can actually see the progress you've made right before you. It's the biggest thing I would miss if Frihost were to go down. The other side of it, though, is that back then I felt like I knew a lot. Today I know more. And, to paraphrase Aristotle, the more you know, the more you don't know.
dude_xyx
I joined Frihost back in 2006 after another post to host forum vanished suddenly without any reason at all. It was probably ran by a kid I guess. I was so pissed because all the work I did in forum and also I lost few sites I had hosted there.

Then I found Frihost and never had a problem. I went through couple of downtimes in my years here but only 1 had a serious effect. Don't remember which one or went but downtimes lasted over a week I think.
Blaster
I was around a bunch of people my age at the time that were posting on forums. I ran a few with no real success, and I also had the opertunity to admin a few post to host programs before they were sold off.

William I havn't been in touch with these people in years. If I remember correctly Heady lived somewhat close to me, I believe in upstate PA actually.

As for Daniel15 I havn't heard from him in a long while. I just checked his website smfshop and it looks like he was last active in 2015.

As for teenzine I havn't talked to him since back then. I couldn't tell you what my msn username or password is anymore, not to mention i'm sure no one uses it any more anyway.

Also just spent some time reading some old pms -- check this out, an original site from our founding alien http://www.crazy-news.net/
deanhills
Blaster wrote:

Also just spent some time reading some old pms -- check this out, an original site from our founding alien http://www.crazy-news.net/
I've been checking up on it too from time to time. For me it's a clue to the longevity of frihost.com.
tidruG
deanhills wrote:
I took the deal very seriously, so remember during the second month of the deal - February 2009 - I had to travel to Guernsey, and Guernsey had one of its worst snow falls in years. Everything was snowed out, and it was the time when computers in hotels or WiFi were not easily available. During the weekend I waded through the snow possibly about 5 km from St. Peter Port to downtown St. Peter Port to find a public computer.

Wowzie!

william wrote:

I broke a forum rule the moment I joined Frihost.

Banning you in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Da Rossa wrote:
In my case, I know I engaged in a deep and rather 'warm' discussion about the authorship of 9/11. I can't find the topic, but at the time, I argued that the US government was involved. People in here destroyed my arguments one by one.

Ah, I remember those good old debates in the "Discuss World News" forum. I couldn't get too involved as a member of staff because I would have come across as biased, so I mostly read them. But there were some pretty good debates at the time. S3nd K3ys, lib, gonzo etc. are some of the names I remember from that time. Some of those went beyond acceptable norms and got banned, though.

I joined when I had just turned 18, so was just starting college. I've now done my post-graduation (MBA) and I've been working for almost 6 years. Wow, time flies. My first few posts were about Music, and then I started posting in the General Chat, and within a few months, Bondings invited me to become a Moderator. Good times.

For those enquiring about n4l, he's still very much around. He's grown up (if that was ever possible! Razz) and he's doing quite well. In fact, he's very kindly been hosting my website for me.
deanhills
Great to see you in the forums tidruG! Dancing

tidruG wrote:
For those enquiring about n4l, he's still very much around. He's grown up (if that was ever possible! Razz) and he's doing quite well. In fact, he's very kindly been hosting my website for me.
I've been curious to know where he had vanished to - in fact I've been curious about a number of Frihosters and where they vanished to. But disappointing to know n4l's "grown up". I always thought if someone had "grown up" that the interesting character part of their personality had made peace with extinction. Razz

Something just very interesting happened. I started doing searches on S3nd K3ys to see when the last post was made. And then discovered a similar thread by Blaster dated 2007. Remember when .... in 2007

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-70357-2.html

Pretty amazing how some of the Golden Oldie members in the Remember when thread were talking about the "end of Frihost" in 2007, and roll on to 2016 and we're still alive and kicking. Not as loudly as before, but maybe "grown up" kicking. Razz

I liked this comment by Max:
Vrythramax wrote:
Hey Blaster.....I'm still here Smile

Bondings has alot on his plate with coding and school, but even if you don't see him, that doesn't mean he doesn't see you. Wink

Source: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-596667.html#596667