FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is frihost done as a website?

truespeed
I have been a member on here since 2006, I rarely post these days, or even login, even when I do after missing weeks, there is very little new content. I remember a few years ago when the decline set in, everybody would try to up the monthly post count (when we had the stats) Now, even though there is once again hosting to give away, it just seems like that corner will never be turned, it will never reach it's 2006 peak, or even it's 2011 "decline".

I don't even see a way for it to be revived, the internet has moved on. Shame really.
dude_xyx
Unlike those old days there's lots of competition in free hosting industry now. There are plenty of good free hosting providers and there are even free vps providers. Also most of active members have moved on to other forums.

So I don't know. Maybe it will be back like before after a while.
standready
People just don't use forums anymore. It is all about farce, twit and the next 'it' thing.
Marcuzzo
The fact that frihost uses an outdated (+ heavily modified ) version of phpbb doesn't help at all.

Should the forum be updated to another platform it may revive the community, let's be honest, phpbb used to be hot in 2006 but now it's just a dinosaur.

The main reason I think Bondings isn't doing anything about it is that it would cost a lot more to develop then it would return.

Back in the day he was in college, he probably has a full time job now, a mortgage, possibly a few kids and doesn't have the time to work on something that doesn't generate enough revenue to justify the development costs.

I guess the only reason why this site is still online is that it's still breaking even
hown
Marcuzzo wrote:
The fact that frihost uses an outdated (+ heavily modified ) version of phpbb doesn't help at all.

Should the forum be updated to another platform it may revive the community, let's be honest, phpbb used to be hot in 2006 but now it's just a dinosaur.

The main reason I think Bondings isn't doing anything about it is that it would cost a lot more to develop then it would return.

Back in the day he was in college, he probably has a full time job now, a mortgage, possibly a few kids and doesn't have the time to work on something that doesn't generate enough revenue to justify the development costs.

I guess the only reason why this site is still online is that it's still breaking even

frihost is the only freewebhosting which lasted that long (10 years and counting)
deanhills
GREAT to see you posting Truespeed!!!

In February of this year I decided to join a FreeVPS Forum, and guess what, I bumped into a few Frihost members who are no longer posting here who are now into free VPSs BIG TIME. And not only one free VPS, most have two free VPSs and then some have purchased VPSs as well. I think that is a logical direction for your Frihost shared hosting member to have moved into.

If Bondings had still been around I'm almost certain he'd have seen that VPS is big stuff these days.

Like type in anything VPS in a search engine and you'll probably get more than a million hits. Shared hosting is not as popular as it used to be. Although there are still your odd person who likes to test something with a free hosting account and if they do and they make their quality posts, we've got really good quality space for them. Irony is that Bondings has us at a really great Data Center probably the best we've ever been. It's excellent cPanel hosting.

Thing with Frihost is that it has been around so long, the traffic hits have got to the point where they feed on themselves. If no posts should be made from tomorrow, Frihost will still get lots of traffic for a very long while. We're everywhere in the hit lists, like Alexis, the Time Machine. You name it. So I don't think Frihost will ever die unless Bondings should end it, which I just can't see for now. I've got this picture in my mind of Bondings never been able to give up on the Forum. He invested enormous energy in coding this Website from scratch so Frihost must have plenty of nostalgic value for him. It certainly has for me. Wink
truespeed
deanhills wrote:

Thing with Frihost is that it has been around so long, the traffic hits have got to the point where they feed on themselves. If no posts should be made from tomorrow, Frihost will still get lots of traffic for a very long while. We're everywhere in the hit lists, like Alexis, the Time Machine. You name it. So I don't think Frihost will ever die unless Bondings should end it, which I just can't see for now. I've got this picture in my mind of Bondings never been able to give up on the Forum. He invested enormous energy in coding this Website from scratch so Frihost must have plenty of nostalgic value for him. It certainly has for me. Wink

It is slipping down the Alexa rankings, it's currently 179,337 and dropping (It used to be always below 100K) , my site is above it for the first time, and even mine is only getting half the traffic it did a couple of years ago. Forums in general are in decline as people move more and more to facebook groups and reddit and the likes, the days of the traditional forum being a magnet for visitors are over pretty much.

The big sites are taking more and more of the market share, I wouldn't be surpised if the top 10 sites took something like 90% of all internet traffic.

So unless as you say, Bondings rocks up and offers vps as a way of getting new users, and totally revamps the forum to give it a modern feel, then I don't really see a future for frihost, other than just a point of interest for those of us who have used its services down the years.

I agree in that I don't think Bondings will take the site down, even if it slips below 1 million in Alexa (Which will happen) I think he knows the site has seen its best days, and is happy just for it to exist.
dude_xyx
There are domain names which earns me nothing but I can't give up. So I just keeping those renewing every years. Those domains are first ever domains I have bought and helped me to earn my first online bucks.

Anyway I don't think Bonding would get into Free VPS game which if he decide to come back. It's a whole different ball game. Can't do that as a one man show financing it all by him self or from what earns by the forum. It doesn't work that way.

When you offer a VPS each vps cost around $2 per month at least if you are offering a proper vps with a dedicated IP address. So if 100 people gets vps that's $200 per month alone and also there are lots of work to be done at back-end.

You can provide cPnael based shared hosting for 100 people with $20 - $30. I talking about a really fast and good service. Less problems too since you will get support from your provider. But if you offer free vps then each ip address cost you around $1 alone. Apart from technical nightmare.

Users are different too. It's easy to monitor and control a shared hosting service. VPS users usually technically more advance people so problems you get are also more advance. Also usually their problems become your problems like if they decide to use vps for spamming or someone DOSSing their vps etc.

So I don't think it will never gonna work here. I will be happy if the current service would last longer. I already having a little problem with my WP blog here, can't reset the password. It seems mails not working again. Anyone Knows if Server 2 has issues or something ?
Hogwarts
I wonder how many old-timey Frihosters are now working in the Bay Area/at Google/Facebook/Microsoft/etc. nowadays
loveandormoney
Frihost is a great community.
We

l.oveandormoney
have a lot of fun
and the adiministration is very friendly.
Da Rossa
I second that the fact that Frih uses a very outdated version of phpBB is totally unhelpful. It works, but it doesn't have the visual appeal new users are used to.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
I agree in that I don't think Bondings will take the site down, even if it slips below 1 million in Alexa (Which will happen) I think he knows the site has seen its best days, and is happy just for it to exist.
Right, like a collector's item. It means something to him.

dude_xyx wrote:
Anyway I don't think Bonding would get into Free VPS game which if he decide to come back. It's a whole different ball game. Can't do that as a one man show financing it all by him self or from what earns by the forum. It doesn't work that way.
I agree with you. I don't think Bondings will get into VPS as I think he is on a different career path that has all of his focus and attention. If he would have looked at doing VPSs though I'm sure he'd have come up with something completely different no one has thought about before. Like he had with Frihost in 2005 when he planned Frihost. He surrounded himself with the most able of staff like tidruG, Morpheus and all of the other hard working staff and members who were enjoying to be here with him. Bondings has a wonderful way of motivating the troops by being Bondings.

dude_xyx wrote:

I already having a little problem with my WP blog here, can't reset the password. It seems mails not working again. Anyone Knows if Server 2 has issues or something ?

Refer response in Webhosting Support Forum.
coolclay
Back in my "younger" years I had much more time to maintain a fun personal site, and post in many forums. Frihost particular was great to earn free hosting and had a great community. It was worth it to me to maintain posting just for the sake of maintaining my site. Then Server 1 crashed. I hadn't backed it up properly (even though I thought I did). Now I have a house (definition of a fixer upper), a full time job, a wife, and way too many hobbies. That leaves no time for rebuilding my site from scratch and definitely no time for Frihost.

It's sad really that a server crash was really the defining blow for me. As much as I really like everyone here the benefit of posting just for the sake of posting isn't worth it. I am not sure I see a way out of the rut personally, but C'est la vie!

Which all begs the question what am I doing here....... Let's just say I miss you guys every now and then!
Insanity
I wonder if there has been another site that has been around for as long as Frihost has been in terms of offering free web hosting services. I remember the old days back in the early 2000s where free web hosting was plentiful, but often came with caveats like ads or big restrictions in terms of space and bandwidth. Frihost was one of the ones that stood out because of its posting requirement -- it tended to turn away some of the more casual users and that possibly made more space for everyone else and led to its survival. But I look back and see that many of those sites have gone by the wayside and I can't seem to find one that I used in the past that is still around today. Frihost is the one and only exception.

People have mentioned that this site breaks even for Bondings, and I'm surprised that's the case still with all the points above about how forums have been in decline for a while and as a result so has this site.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:

Which all begs the question what am I doing here....... Let's just say I miss you guys every now and then!
Whatever the reason it's great to see you posting Coolclay. Hope you are keeping well. Smile

You're right about that terrible crash of Server 1 at end of 2014. There were other Frihost members who had nostalgic Websites like that, and even when we offered generous space to compensate, it just wasn't the same for them any longer. Pity though that they didn't make backups. Like that part I couldn't understand. I also had a site on Server 1, and had it up and running in a few seconds flat after Server 1 was up and running again. Like all I needed to do was upload the backup. Also most of the sister site accounts at FreeFTPspace.org who share Server 1 space had backups as well. They didn't incur losses other than having gone down. Anyway, with all of the depression/nostalgia going around here, this should be something good about Server 1. We're monitoring the Server from the FreeFTPspace.org side (a small site of Bondings that also runs on Server 1) - and this is what the record looks like. Ironically the best hosting Server 1 has EVER enjoyed. People who have Websites on it are very happy - since there are so few hosting accounts on it relative to the size of the Server, speed is awesome. Wink

Insanity wrote:
I wonder if there has been another site that has been around for as long as Frihost has been in terms of offering free web hosting services.
I don't think so. There are very few post2host sites left and Frihost is probably the lone survivor of the 2005 era post2host sites. I don't think the post2host is working any longer with blogs around. For example when we look at Frihost the blogs are probably where real quality is happening these days. Whereas in the older days it used to be the forums, and particularly the Philosophy & Religion Forum. The latter is all but dead.
Blaster
I like a few others that posted in this particular topic have been here since frihost was in its prime. Between 2005/2006 this place had a lot going for it. It had a huge community, it was up to date for its time and it was one of the few places you could get a free web host with the person providing it actually helping and posting in the forums.

I like many others am a lot older now, I started when I was 13 over 10 years ago. I now have a full time job, I'm still in school, I have bills to pay and a social life outside of the internet. For me going onto a computer pretty much stopped after I got a smart phone. I am on an actual computer (except for work and school) almost never. The only reason I'm here now is I needed to catch up on homework and finished it quicker than I thought.

I personally believe one of the downfalls was when bondings rolled out all the forums that he did. Before frihost only had a few catagories now it has so many that people got fed up.
truespeed
It's noticable that most of the posters in this thread joined between 2005-2008, only 2 joined after, frishost has been relying on these early joiners for some time now, which is impressive in a way, the fact that 10 years after joining they still visit the site, it just shows, that had Bondings stuck around or left someone in charge who could make decisions, then those coming after those dates would likely have stuck around too and this place would still be thriving.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
It's noticable that most of the posters in this thread joined between 2005-2008, only 2 joined after, frishost has been relying on these early joiners for some time now, which is impressive in a way, the fact that 10 years after joining they still visit the site, it just shows, that had Bondings stuck around or left someone in charge who could make decisions, then those coming after those dates would likely have stuck around too and this place would still be thriving.
That is an excellent point Truespeed. Some of those early joiners are still making their posts to old fashioned high standards - probably of the kind that are made at a desktop. As with phones I'm sure one is more inclined to keep posts to much smaller length.

I'm thinking of William (2006), who has been making awesome quality posts since the beginning of time and BigGeek (2008).
Da Rossa
Myself included! But I know it is not nice to keep repeating that, with this decades available technologies, it is hard to attract new (and younger) users with this outdated phpBB 2.x theme.
Blaster
It is interesting to think that most of the people that still post here are from the early years. I can't really find anyone that is here that isn't from the same time period. It would be interesting to see a new poster from this year post regularly.
dude_xyx
Blaster wrote:
I personally believe one of the downfalls was when bondings rolled out all the forums that he did. Before frihost only had a few catagories now it has so many that people got fed up.

I don't think it's the reason. I mean More boards means more chances to post and create various discussion. It works great for post to host forums like these. I don't think people got fed up. Mostly older people got moved on and newer people were not getting the service it used to be.

Like getting accounts. support etc. I mean ever since owner got busy with his real life stuff and started having less and less time for the forum. That's where things started going down hill. People had to find other places for Free Hosting.

Another thing is there are other big players in free hosting market now. Their hosting is not quality like this but they offer is basically for nothing. No need to post in forum to keep their accounts active. Also there are free vps hosting available too.

Older members has moved on and also most of them probably no longer need free hosting. When I got my first account here I didn't have any paid hosting but now I have several paid VPS.

I also own couple of forums and something I learned is if owner loose interest then forum starts a slow death. It won't happen right away but it just happen after a while. Nothing can save it but owner him/her self.
deanhills
dude_xyx wrote:
I also own couple of forums and something I learned is if owner loose interest then forum starts a slow death. It won't happen right away but it just happen after a while. Nothing can save it but owner him/her self.
That is very true. I can just imagine Bondings making just one of his usual general interest high quality posts in one of the Forums, and it will bring in a complete revival.
Blaster
It would take a lot for this forum to be back to where it was, and it would have to start with a revamp of the forum itself. Like many said it is outdated, and the idea of post to host is long gone from what it used to be. People are no longer setting up blogs, or forums. Social media sites like facebook took away a lot of the need for forums. I know i'm apart of several groups on facebook where the old way was to have a forum.
loveandormoney
We like to visit this forum.
Are u bored?
Marcuzzo
TLDR;
Social media has nothing to do with the rise and fall of Frihost, it started at roughly the same time.
we need more eye-candy, better incentives and overall nicer features.
we want people to want to post here, not post because they don't want to loose their hosting

;;;
Social Media has been around for almost a decade, maybe even longer, but I don't think that this forum is affected by Social media.

- Facebook doesn't offer you anything to post on your profile.
If you've got business with a facebook profile you may be able to attract more people to visit your website, some even use facebook as their 'website'

- Sites like Reddit, StackOverflow and the like are getting a lot of traffic and don't offer anything in return

heck, there are other site's that offer free hosting ( not as good as this one ) without having to post.

I think that the following events have dented Frihost's rep:
- you have to post to get hosting. a while ago this was not happening because there weren't any admins around. which has been fixed now.
- The forum is old, looks old and feels old... most people ( especially the younger ones ) will leave the page as soon as they're confronted with the Forumosaurus.

What I think 'could' revive the community is the following:
1. redesign the site ( drop phpbb in a hole, poor gasoline, light match ) and use another ( possibly custom ) platform
2. add/change incentives. the points are nice and so are the coins, but c'mon who actually used any of them ( apart from the occational 'guess the...' contests in the marketplace )
3. some features used on other platforms like: upvote a post, give a user kudos/reputation/whatever, and there's a lot more I can think of but unless a project is being created and I'm asked to be part of the dev team there's no point for me to wrap my head around this 'problem'
deanhills
Great post Marcuzzo. From a Hosting Account point of view I like the post4host system to get a picture of the person who applies for hosting. Posts don't have to be perfect, but it's easy to get a picture of what to expect (most of the time) in how the person is going to manage his/her hosting account by reading the posts.

A complete redesign of Frihost will probably look good cosmetically, but it won't compensate for the lack of the presence of the owner. I seem to recall however that Bondings regarded the design of Frihost as his personal sandbox. Like he created Frihost to practice his coding and design skills in addition to building a hosting community.
Josso
It needed a rebrand a few years back, personally I don't have an issue with the bb3 just the main page.. and yeah free VPS and stuff is a lot easier to get these days

mass email might do the trick
Marcuzzo
I'm not sure Bondings updated the forum to PHPBB 3.

Like Dean said, mostly cosmetics, but it's not just the way the site should look, it's also about how the site feels.
Mobile First design is an absolute must these days, most of my spare time browsing is done on my phone and It's a real pita when you find a good website that has poor or no mobile support.

EDIT: The thing is, even if 'life happened' or you've got a lot of things to do and are unable to post here.
As site admin/owner I think you've got a responsibility towards your users and at least show a sign of life
Bondings hasn't posted in little over 2 years ( http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-159788.html ) I find it hard to believe that one does not have the time to post a one liner once every now and then.
unless he stopped caring...
Josso
What I meant was I don't mind not having phpBB3, I ran it for a while it is pretty good but 2 is still fine.
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
I find it hard to believe that one does not have the time to post a one liner once every now and then.
unless he stopped caring...
It's an absolute mystery to me. Just imagine how much traffic it would generate for him too. He definitely cares about Frihost though. Otherwise he wouldn't have renewed every one of his domains this year and the hosting would have stopped a long time ago. We're on the best hosting space we've ever been. For Servers 2 and 3 we may lack admin support, but Server 1 is not too bad by free web hosting standards and we've got genuine up to date cPanel on it. So technically we're OK. Just I'd give my eye teeth for a post from Bondings. One of those surprise threads with typical Bondings sense of humor. Cool
SonLight
It doesn't seem too surprising to me that Bondings is sort of letting the site coast. He has indicated before that he didn't want the site to become a formal business with all the accounting and operational rules he would then have to follow. At present, the site can probably continue for another three or four years with minimal new postings, and still pay for itself. Perhaps it could continue forever as things become cheaper.

If Bondings were to upgrade the site, he probably would at the same time treat it as a business, and probably be taxed and regulated accordingly. He would then either have to actively manage the site, or sell it. If it were sold, its character would probably change dramatically. I think he wants to leave it similar to what it's always been, even if that is no longer the in thing. I'm pretty happy to see it as if it were an aging Atari that still brings back pleasant memories.

I do miss having a more active forum though. I would love to see a plan for some of the existing users to attract additional traffic to the site, and suspect Bondings would be willing to cooperate with Frihost-related activity provided the site itself did not need to be changed.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
It doesn't seem too surprising to me that Bondings is sort of letting the site coast. He has indicated before that he didn't want the site to become a formal business with all the accounting and operational rules he would then have to follow. At present, the site can probably continue for another three or four years with minimal new postings, and still pay for itself. Perhaps it could continue forever as things become cheaper.
Looks as though you may have something there SonLight. Our Frihost.com domain was extended to 2019 a while ago - maybe Bondings put that date there along the lines of your thinking. That sounds like three to four years for me. On the other hand Bondings may get to 2019 and not want to let go of Frihost - easier to renew the domain than letting it lapse. But 2019 certainly must be a timeline of sorts.

SonLight wrote:
I think he wants to leave it similar to what it's always been, even if that is no longer the in thing. I'm pretty happy to see it as if it were an aging Atari that still brings back pleasant memories.
Agree with you again. I also think his memories of the community go up to 2013-2014 when he more or less departed the Forum. If he could really have it his way he'd have wanted to freeze it at that time. For him too if he should return, Frihost will be the same, but also different.

SonLight wrote:
I do miss having a more active forum though. I would love to see a plan for some of the existing users to attract additional traffic to the site, and suspect Bondings would be willing to cooperate with Frihost-related activity provided the site itself did not need to be changed.
Sounds like a great plan. Now if we can only get hold of Bondings, that would be like a dream come true for me.
Marcuzzo
Kind of funny if you think about it.
like apostles waiting for our prophet to return
We're all coming up with theories as to why he has vanished, looking at every little detail as if it were a clue and one day Bondings logs on and be like: 'dude, wtf is this...' Laughing

I'm not sure if anything will change and maybe it's for the better.
Even if the site doesn't change I'll still try to post here every now and then
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Kind of funny if you think about it.
like apostles waiting for our prophet to return
We're all coming up with theories as to why he has vanished, looking at every little detail as if it were a clue and one day Bondings logs on and be like: 'dude, wtf is this...' Laughing
I've been thinking on that track too. Bondings reminds me of the Scarlett Pimpernel.

Quote:
“They seek him here, they seek him there
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere
Is he in heaven or is he in hell?
That demned elusive Pimpernel”
― Emmuska Orczy, The Scarlet Pimpernel

Source

Also reminds me of Max when he said that we may not know it but Bondings is watching us. Bondings is probably having a real chuckle about this thread. Like for me it makes sense that he would be checking on the Forum to make sure it's alive and now and then pause to read a thread or two - just imagine renewing your domains, particularly the one that one invested so much time in - frihost.com, and not visiting. Defies common sense. Razz
ratanegra
deanhills wrote:
but Server 1 is not too bad by free web hosting standards and we've got genuine up to date cPanel on it.

Really? I haven't been around for about a year and I come for this piece of great news. I think I'll be re-requesting some hosting after my Server 4 vanished.
handfleisch
Can you recommend some of the free hosting sites?

dude_xyx wrote:
Unlike those old days there's lots of competition in free hosting industry now. There are plenty of good free hosting providers and there are even free vps providers. Also most of active members have moved on to other forums.

So I don't know. Maybe it will be back like before after a while.
Haiku2016
I'm new here. Just joined a couple days ago. I find the site confusing. The main problem I have is that the forums are too wide-ranging and not active enough. I think the two combined are self-defeating. To be active, you need to be able to focus your energies on topics that will attract your audience. From what I can see of chatforums on the Internet, they are mostly targetted at particular needs. To some extent, Frihost is trying to be a place for everyone and ending up being a place for no-one.

So, my first suggestion is to design it for your userbase. Since most of the members are looking for a free website where they can do some programming and coding, why not develop the website to cater for them? It was very difficult for me to find out how to get started here and to find people with similar needs as mine - I want to learn Python programming through building my own website. I started a blog on this and there's no visitors, as far as I can tell. I don't even know what's the url for the blog.

Web programming is all the rage these days. And there are so many programming languages to learn. There was a time when all you need to know was HTML. Now, you need to know at least CSS, PHP, MySQL, Javascript (or Python), to get going. I took a look at a website I've got and I don't even know what half of the folders are for. Although there are sections on HTML, CSS, and so on, they are located to the bottom. Why not put them up top so that the purpose and raison d'ętre of the website is clear?

Access to resources for the beginner will also be useful. Links to other websites like codeacademy will be great (maybe they might pay to advertise?). How about a downloads section where we can download code and play with them? Free instructional pdf? I know a bit of BASIC programming and HTML, but I got lost after that. I understand computer logic but i don't know how some fo the new programming functions work. For example, I gather that streaming is somewhat similar to opening a file and reading from it. I still don't understand how it works. I tried to pick up Java and got lost with the streaming bit.

It seems like Frihost has a great history and it will be good to keep it if it can be a goto for people who are curious about webhosting and want to learn it for free. I don't see why it cannot be as successful as GitHub and some of the other websites. Why can't Frihost be the GitHub for webhosting? Feature projects and give us some downloadable scripts to play with.

What I am not clear about is why Frihost exist? If it was one of the first chatforums and it's aim is to be a chatforum for everything under the sun, then its customer base are going to be a general user who will be attracted to the website because it is trendy and controversial. To be successful in this, you need to target your audience and discuss things that interest them. You also need to be out-there and be visible like Huffington Post or something. Change your Google tags or something.

If it is primarily a gathering place for web geeks, then it needs to provide to our needs.

Finally, the most telling post here is that Bondings haven't posted here for a while. Is he still interested to make a go of it? Are the people here who are interested to pitch in and help him, or do it for him?
Da Rossa
Quote:
I'm new here. Just joined a couple days ago. I find the site confusing. The main problem I have is that the forums are too wide-ranging and not active enough. I think the two combined are self-defeating. To be active, you need to be able to focus your energies on topics that will attract your audience. From what I can see of chatforums on the Internet, they are mostly targetted at particular needs. To some extent, Frihost is trying to be a place for everyone and ending up being a place for no-one.

Finally a view from a new user's perspective!!

The forum has gone shallow and too broad in subjects. Plus, the sole fact that it uses an ancient 2.0.x phpBB theme is scary enough.
Haiku2016
Haha, Smile. I actually don't mind its structure being out of date. And the whole thing about being watched by Bondings is kinda weird and cool at the same time. I've kinda also figured out how to keep in touch - just go to the Forums page and read what's been updated since my last visit. And I'll start a new thread of there's nothing that interests me and see what happens. All good. I think I'm pretty much settled down now.

It sounds like Bondings is happy to keep things as they are. If so, who am I to complain? It's a bit of a historical relic, like visiting some old forgotten city that once was. There's a quaintness about it that's quite appealing. And once you've settled down and made some friends, it's alright. Feels like home.
Da Rossa
Quote:
It sounds like Bondings is happy to keep things as they are. If so, who am I to complain? It's a bit of a historical relic, like visiting some old forgotten city that once was. There's a quaintness about it that's quite appealing. And once you've settled down and made some friends, it's alright. Feels like home.

Nooo, you got me wrong! I don't personally mind the old 2.0.x phpBB template, but I realise it is unecouraging to new users simply because of how design was in the zero decade. I'm used to this look and feel, but this site could give a visual sign that it's up to date! One reason is that some less-than-100%-active-users could think like me beforehand and just quit, so the very friends you talk about are done for!
Haiku2016
Da Rossa wrote:
Quote:

Nooo, you got me wrong! I don't personally mind the old 2.0.x phpBB template, but I realise it is unecouraging to new users simply because of how design was in the zero decade. I'm used to this look and feel, but this site could give a visual sign that it's up to date! One reason is that some less-than-100%-active-users could think like me beforehand and just quit, so the very friends you talk about are done for!

True. I understand how you feel. Maybe we can just pitch in and help each other out. Just keep posting, I reckon. And respond to calls for help when you read them. I did suggest a Welcome message for newbies and maybe one of the oldies can volunteer to mentor a newbie until they settle down. Just a few emails between two people (a newbie and an oldie) can make a lot of difference. I see a few new members since I arrived. But dunno who they are and how one might get in touch with them.
Da Rossa
Good. There could be an invitation for the new registrees to post in the introductions forum, so that we could hop in and welcome them. The problem is that I don't remember to check that forum Embarassed
I'll try harder.
Haiku2016
Da Rossa wrote:
Good. There could be an invitation for the new registrees to post in the introductions forum, so that we could hop in and welcome them. The problem is that I don't remember to check that forum Embarassed
I'll try harder.

In the main Forums page, at the bottom, the newest member is highlighted. You can always send them a pm.
Da Rossa
Good idea! I just did send a welcome PM to Jason.
chasbeen
It's been over 10 years.
There's one nice thing. It always works.
There's no budget though, so it could not support modern enhancements like the mega site.
Da Rossa
Quote:
It's been over 10 years.
There's one nice thing. It always works.

I respect and value that part.
Haiku2016
Hi, @DaRossa, how did it go with the newbie? Did you make a new friend? Maybe encourage him to post?
Da Rossa
Haiku2016 wrote:
Hi, @DaRossa, how did it go with the newbie? Did you make a new friend? Maybe encourage him to post?

So far no response. I still have faith Very Happy