FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I get rediected from www.shabda.name to shabda.name.

shabda
The problem is that I get rediected from http://www.shabda.name to http://shabda.name/. I have hosted at frihost and setup joomla as my CMS. Noobie set up joomla for me. So probably he can give better reason for this.
n0obie4life
Joomla had it set at shabda.name. You can change it within the administrator panel.
shabda
Sorry noobie wasnt able to do it. There was a live site option in global config/server tab but it was not changabvle. Can you do it for me. The password is still wat was set originally. If you dont have it ill pm it to you.
Bondings
If I'm not mistaken, it's stored in a config.php or similar file. Just change it manually from shabda.com to www.shabda.com.
gonzo
WHY in the name of orange would you want your default host to be the useless www prefix?
shabda
Reason 1. I just want it that way
2. www is world wide web, users are generally accustomed to see www before their URL, I dont want to confuse my visitors.
n0obie4life
Few minutes before I fix it, I need to upload some stuff onto my site.
Bondings
gonzo wrote:
WHY in the name of orange would you want your default host to be the useless www prefix?

A domain name is meant to point to an ip. The prefix is meant to be the thing that tells you which protocol to use. Like irc.domain.com is used for irc, mail.domain.com for mail and www.domain.com for the website. Websites became very popular and that's why the default domain is used for the website. However, WWW is still the most used version and logical prefix for a domain.

Gonzo, next time you want to post something, I suggest you ask yourself a few questions before posting it:

1) Is my post useful? Important notice: insults are not considered to be useful on this forum.
2) Is my post correct? Maybe do some research before calling something useless.
mOrpheuS
gonzo wrote:

As Bondings said, if you add "www.", it becomes immedialtely clear as to what protocol to use. You'll usually want to enter a "www." address into a browser instead of your ftp client.

Also another reason "www." prefix is still painstakingly used at many places is because of the reason that it acts as an informal universal identifier for web addresses.
This helps several applications (which deal with text formatting) to detect when a web addresses is typed in (Word, outlook etc.)

I'm going to type the same url here -
with "www." - www.frihost.com
and without - frihost.com

notice the difference ? Wink

Like oranges, "www" is not entirely useless...
n0obie4life
Okay,

I fixed it for him. No more discussion on the "www".

I view all websites without the www. prefix anyway. I hope to see a

http://bondings.frihost.com, replacing the www with bondings