FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Don't forget to make Backups!

loveandormoney
Thank You for Your post about Backup.
You should do it daily.
Its very easy
do a cron and copy all from hd to an USB Stick.
Every evening and you can sleep relaxed.
deanhills
Thank you LAOM. I don't think making a backup every day is a good idea, unless there is an important change in the data on a daily basis. Think we need to remember that the backups take up valuable bandwidth and disk space. If one makes regular backups one should always remember to delete the backup on the server after it has been downloaded to one's computer/USB.
loveandormoney
Sorry

I did not say it good enough.

I said cron not backup bei ms.

So linux or win dos or shell we created a cron

every evenig every file written today ll be saved on an usb stick

every important file like phone numbers backuped daily

extra:
Once week all important files are backuped.

Once a month the whole hd will be saved by the daily cron.

Remark:
Most time we needed the backups for correct errors mistakes we produces ourselves
example
delete an important file

So backup helps to find files and sometimes save files cause Hardwareproblem.
SonLight
loveandormoney and deanhills, you are talking about two different things, both of which are important. Dean was talking about making regular backups of your website on the server, and lm was talking about backing up his computer.

For backing up your frihost website, I believe it is necessary to use the Cpanel or Directadmin procedures Dean describes. On some web hosts you can use cron jobs to back up, but I wouldn't recommend trying that on Frihost unless you have experience or clear instructions from someone who has done it before.

For backing up your local computer, L&^M has good advice. Keeping a usb stick in the computer and running cron jobs which save commonly changed data quite frequently, and making a complete backup every week or month, seems like a good idea.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
lFor backing up your local computer, L&^M has good advice. Keeping a usb stick in the computer and running cron jobs which save commonly changed data quite frequently, and making a complete backup every week or month, seems like a good idea.
Aha .... thanks for clearing that up for us Sonlight. Very Happy

I think I'm a bit like Bondings with my own backups. I make them periodically and sometimes even selectively. On a need only basis. For the Websites I'll only make a backup if there is a major change in any one of them. For my computer I do a large backup once in a few months. Quickie backups of selective folders if and when I think I need to. Most of the work I do is online and I work with WordPress most of the time. Like easy to copy everything with a plugin and download it to the hard disk of my computer. Then to an external hard disk.

When it comes to someone else's backups in my care, I'm a bit paranoid though. I've been through two experiences where cPanel disks including the backup disks had failed. Like they were at two different servers and hosts within a year of one another but the symptoms were identical. The backups had started to fail/corrupt months before the actual main disk failed, so no one was aware that there were no backups made any longer. So when the actual disks went, there were no backups found. In the last case the last backups that could be found were end of May. The backups had been failing from June to December. The last host prided itself on having an external backup service on top of the cpanel service that was connected to the cpanel backups. And that of course failed too, as "nothing" was backed up by the external service from cPanel backups. Guess that was a nice learning experience. To not only make backups, but to test those backups. And never to take backups for granted.
loveandormoney
Maybe we are more than careful.

Example:
I ll write a letter on hd.
And always we do automaticly save that 3 pages on a 3,5 Disk.

Its a kind of routine
cause of burned fingers.
LxGoodies
loveandormoney wrote:
Maybe we are more than careful.

Example:
I ll write a letter on hd.
And always we do automaticly save that 3 pages on a 3,5 Disk.

Its a kind of routine
cause of burned fingers.

Shocked

In 2016 I would use a USB stick
loveandormoney
Do we do a serious discussion?
Yes?
OK.

So
we and most our neighbours here in our office to 90 % of our PC day typing letters from a to z in the keyboards and we see a white screen and black symbols the whole day. So
myself
I write a book
and
every day I write about 10 to 60 pages. But during 2 years I can fill one DISK 3,5 inch, cause ASCII. And so I have 365 disks and every day I do for my writings the files on a disk and finish.
But You save videos and music and so on
and so we very often use 3,5
cause most time we produce work using computers also the JAVA developpers.

Thank You for listening.