FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Account Support : Question Regarding Copyrights

Mathias
To anyone who can help me,

I recieved my hosting account a few days ago, but upon reading the account details and warnings, I had a confusion. I noticed that n0obie4life, the Mod who accepted my account, said that there was no allowance of copyrighted material on the sites. Or perhaps I've misunderstood him... nonetheless, this is what was posted below the account details:
n0obie4life wrote:
Please note that copyrighted stuff aren't allowed.
As I wasn't quite sure of what exactly was meant by that, I figured I would ask here. I was mainly wondering of what this was in regards to; does this mean that we are not allowed to use other's copyrighted material that we have not gotten permission for, or that us ourselves are not allowed to post copyrighted material on our website, whether our own or otherwise?

I appreciate the help, and I thank everyone in advance!
Sunny
Quote:
we are not allowed to use other's copyrighted material that we have not gotten permission for

^^Thats what it means.
Arin
If somebody wants to have a copyrighted material on his site - getting a permission isn't that hard. All you need is some patience. Track author's/publisher's email address and write an email with your reasons. If you run a private (non-comercial) website most of authors/publishers will agree, and you'll be very happy that you actually got an official permission from someone that you like or admire.

Cheers,
Arin.
Mathias
Sunny,
Thanks for the tip.

Arin,
Again, thanks for the ideas; however, my plan was to never use other's copyrighted material - my idea was to copyright MY OWN material. I didn't see what could be the problem, but when I saw this,
n0obie4life, regarding my account details, wrote:
Please note that copyrighted stuff aren't allowed.
well, I was slightly confused. That's why I wanted to be sure. From what I've gotten so far, it seems I'm allowed to post my own copyrighted material and state that it is copyrighed, but I cannot post other's copyrighted material, unless through express written permission from the author of the material.

I got it all right there, then?
Arin
Mathias wrote:
From what I've gotten so far, it seems I'm allowed to post my own copyrighted material and state that it is copyrighed, but I cannot post other's copyrighted material, unless through express written permission from the author of the material.

In my opinion this is exactly what the TOS says. If we wouldn't be able to post materials actually created by us it would be impossible even to publish a website - I would be pissed if someone would use my layout or my texts without asking me for a permission, thus everything what I make is copyrighted by default.

Cheers,
Arin.
mathiaus
Your free to copyright your own material and host here ate Frihost. I'm sure what n00bie meant was that you're not allowed to use copyrighted material belonging to someone else without their permission.
Mathias
Ok, I understand now; thanks a lot for the help, guys!