FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Python GUI Toolkit for Inventory Software

Which GUI Toolkit?
WxPython
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
PySide
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tkinter
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
PyGtk
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

jestoy0514
I am planning to create an simple inventory management software using python2 and sqlite3, and I was wondering which of the mentioned toolkit will be appropriate.
cyborg
If you want to build GUI app with python , u have lots of options but for me, have try Tkinter and Qt they are both fine, but u will need external libraries to get ur hands on some widgets in Tk but Qt is very rich with widgets , I don't think u will ever need an external library. One thing about QT, is not very pythonic but TK is and its comes with Python interpreter . Depending on ur software mysqlite is good for small devices , packed software and managing memory but if that's not the case and the database will be require in real time, I will advise you to go for mysql . Python is always a good choice for starter.
jestoy0514
Thanks cyborg I will keep that in mind. For the meantime I am using tkinter toolkit and sqlite3. I was planning on simple inventory only but mysql might be a better choice in a larger project in the future. For now I am focusing on using sqlite3 and researching more a bit more on relationship and foreign key because I was hoping I could put a purchase, inventory, and sales in a single software. Thanks for the advice.
mcdorado
For small apps I can recommend wxPython. Very pythonic and easy to use.
It is basically just a wrapper for the C++ wxWidgets library, so it has a very stable core.

Development started again recently, see here:
https://wxpython.org/

As far as I know toolkits for creating GUIs are available but I've no personal experience with those.
jestoy0514
Hi I have decided to used Tkinter instead. It is just a simple software. Until now I haven't finished it due to I am working full time overseas and just doing it only on my free time.

mcdorado
Your UI is looking pretty slick. Do you intend to use it with a touchscreen interface?
jestoy0514
For the meantime, I just want to create it as a desktop application. Touch screen implementation of this maybe still out of my league. And if I may create a touch screen interface, I will go making a POS but that may be still very far away from it.
mcdorado
I have no experience in touch screen development either but your UI looks like most things can easily be controlled via touch. But I don't know if Tkinter has or even needs support for that.
sailor69
How about Netbeans? I'm using Programmer's Notepad. I like the simplified interface at tutorialspoint.com/python/ but it's for tutorials.
amagard
I looked into Python GUI Development once more and once more ended up with wxPython.
One nice thing about wxPython is wxGlade, a GUI to develop GUIs.
One nice thing about wxGlade is that it generates Python code equipped with code blocks so that you can easily include and maintain your own code in between without getting this overwritten next time you re-generate the code after you have made changes in the GUI.

The application I am currently working on comes with a splitter window, dialogs, status bar with progress bar, menues, a properties type dialog, an HTML windows to render HTML and much more, all of this nicely supported by wxPython. I really love the HTML window (aka wx.html2), it enhances GUI capabilities by simply using HTML.