FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Duolingo English Test Center app

SonLight
I just downloaded a couple of Duolingo apps to my Android phone. Their "Learn Language" app has been mentioned a couple of times on the forum. They now have nearly 20 languages you can learn if you know English, and a few combinations for native speakers of other languages also. They use crowdsourcing to get their translations. Sometime I'd like to discuss that app in more detail.

I tried out the English Test Center app. They will provide a certificate for $49 if you want to prove you have a good knowledge of English, so this may be useful as proof of learning for some ESL students. I decided to take a sample test for fun. I was surprised to only get in the 68 to 80 percent category on the test. If the score considers the time taken to answer the questions then maybe it's the right score, because I wasn't focusing on it a lot. I would like to have seen which ones they considered wrong, but they give no feedback on that.

It would be interesting to see how others do on a sample test, both native and second language English speakers.