FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Automatic Windows 10 Updates?

SpaceInvader75
I know this isn't breaking news, but I haven't seen anything about it on this forum yet. I use Windows, and I have also used Microsoft Consoles, but I really don't like some of the practices of the company. In my opinion, what I've recently heard about Windows 10 sounds ethically questionable.

I watched some tech news videos of people discussing the fact Microsoft was really pushing Windows 10, to the point of installing the operating system as an update, and not adding a "no option" to the popup window asking if you want to update to Windows 10. Don't actions like this undermine trust in the company?

This kind of behavior makes me want to run other operating systems more, because I simply don't like the way Microsoft treats their customers at times. This isn't an isolated incident either. I can remember a version of Halo that was only released on Vista. There was no reason that game wouldn't have run on Windows XP, so my guess is that Microsoft wanted to bribe people into getting Vista that would have been happily gaming on Windows XP otherwise.
deanhills
I've been "off" automatic updates for MS Windows for the last two weeks ever since Microsoft has gone on a more aggressive campaign for getting people to change to Windows 10. The way they worked it with their Windows 10 popup update was they got the upgrade to be set up with systems files so that if I should click on one of the popup that came up immediately after the automatic update got installed, that it would immediately start the upgrade process. Like just one click.

It was a second attempt to get rid of the popup. Previously I followed the steps to get rid of the upgrade icon in my task bar and hiding the corresponding installation update. But it didn't work. The automatic updates set it back and made it even more risky than before. I was on automatic before - for a lifetime - but genuinely am not interested to upgrade "yet" as the change to Windows 10 will make my printer and old software instantly obsolete. I also hate as a matter of principle to be forced to upgrade, it should be my choice. I'm beginning to see Microsoft's automatic updates as containing malware.

I guess that puts me at risk. As one doesn't always remember to check up on the updates, but it's a calculated risk just so that I don't get caught with an unwanted upgrade to Windows 10. I believe I'm not the only person who am no longer on automatic updates because of Microsoft trying to force people to upgrade or putting things in updates that I don't want.

I'd imagine it would be the same thing if I'd been on Windows 10 automatic updates. I no longer trust Microsoft automatic updates any longer as I see it as potentially containing Microsoft malware that may be against my own interest.
SpaceInvader75
Quote:
I was on automatic before - for a lifetime - but genuinely am not interested to upgrade "yet" as the change to Windows 10 will make my printer and old software instantly obsolete. I also hate as a matter of principle to be forced to upgrade, it should be my choice. I'm beginning to see Microsoft's automatic updates as containing malware.

I will have to agree with the opinion that Microsoft's updates now qualify as malware, if we define malware as software that is not intentionally installed by the user. I've also read about Windows 10 containing spyware. Not that this comes as a surprise, considering FaceBook and Google constantly collect personal information, but I think it has become clear that I can't even trust Windows not to collect information from me. I haven't used Windows 10 yet, so I'm not sure about the details, but it's something I would like to learn more about.
deanhills
OK, someone agreeing it is malware. So now I want to know why Malwarebytes or my Kaspersky aren't warning me that I've got someone trying to load malware on my system. Think
SonLight
deanhills wrote:
OK, someone agreeing it is malware. So now I want to know why Malwarebytes or my Kaspersky aren't warning me that I've got someone trying to load malware on my system. Think

Since I've already used up today's quota of posts in the "qoutes" thread, I'll answer you with another quote here. Around 1960 the John Birch Society waxed poetic in Elizabethan language and wrote,

Quote:
Treason ne'er doth prosper, what's the reason? For when it prosper, none dare call it treason
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Since I've already used up today's quota of posts in the "qoutes" thread, I'll answer you with another quote here. Around 1960 the John Birch Society waxed poetic in Elizabethan language and wrote,

Quote:
Treason ne'er doth prosper, what's the reason? For when it prosper, none dare call it treason

That's an excellent quote. Guess that's why most Presidential candidates who are millionaires are so successful in their campaigns. Wink
Insanity
I have heard a lot of things about Windows 10 from many different people, but I have installed it myself and I have to say that it's really not all that bad. The main difference to me is that my computer starts up really fast now and there are a lot more features that oyu can use. It also does away with the metro tiles and that weird desktop/start menu that Windows 8 had going on, so the biggest downside to installing it isn't that big anymore. In fact, it more or less looks like any normal Windows, except it looks prettier and has more features.

The one thing I will note that I didn't like so much about Windows 10 is that it has a lot of compatibility issues with other software. but I think that's a common theme when you upgrade to the newest version of the OS that you are using because it is the newest and it doesn't have to be compatible with whatever old software you have been using.
amagard
One cool feature coming with the next Anniversary Update of Windows10 is that you can define 'Active Hours' for your PC during which no updates will be performed.
I agree on comments made here that Microsoft has been very aggressive in the past to push out the new Windows and Updates.
Nevertheless this new feature is a step into the right direction. I simply hate it when Windows hijacks my PC while I try to get some work done and makes it almost unusable because the hard drive becomes 100 % utilized and applications stop responding, and then insists in re-boots.
deanhills
amagard wrote:
One cool feature coming with the next Anniversary Update of Windows10 is that you can define 'Active Hours' for your PC during which no updates will be performed.
I don't have Windows 10, but am just thinking the bloat that has to be added - like an update of updates - to make an exception of something that shouldn't have been as prescriptive as it has been. Who knows, maybe in the new Windows paid version that is already enabled. But for those who upgraded - it's the equivalent of a BETA experience with update after update after update, and people not even having a choice with those.

For me updates should be very sparsely and very rarely used, but it seems to have got to the point of where Microsoft gets to control all of the consumers use of their product in every detailed way.

One thing I've learned from all of the feedback I've read is that Windows 10 works best on new installations where it is pre-installed vs an upgrade from previous Windows. Looks as though Microsoft agrees, as it is doing a heavy marketing campaign for selling laptops with Windows 10 loaded. Its own product in specific seems to be getting rave reviews.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10

I'm particularly eyeing its own laptop - Surface Pro 4. Someone at work has one and the rave reviews that appear on the link above are true. I'm sorry that the Lenovo Yoga 900 got a really bad rap. I'd imagine that Microsoft's own laptop would make Windows 10 perform at its most optimum - like one would truly get the benefits that had been intended.

I'll probably only "upgrade" to Windows 10 when I get new hardware and it comes pre-installed. When I do I'd definitely want Windows 10 Professional. So I can work with Virtualbox. Not soon though. I'm still doing OK with my present systems, and within a year or two when I upgrade my equipment I'm sure Windows 10 will be much more sorted out. Like either Microsoft will be forced to make changes, or users will have well documented tutorials of how to work round many of the issues that are worrying people.
Da Rossa
Quote:
I watched some tech news videos of people discussing the fact Microsoft was really pushing Windows 10, to the point of installing the operating system as an update, and not adding a "no option" to the popup window asking if you want to update to Windows 10. Don't actions like this undermine trust in the company?

Yes, it does. Although, in my opinion, there is anything to lose by upgrading to Windows 10 unless you're using Windows 7, which is THE most stable Windows version I've seen so far. But Windows 7 is not getting any more enhancement updates, only the security ones. Just jump into Windows 10 and be happy. Smile
Marcuzzo
I don't like the way ms 'patches' our ( read their) systems in a non-enterprise environment.

They decided to stop releasing newer versions and instead they shove a huge patch up your machine rear end.

Last week it took about 30 minutes to have my windows 'updated'. ( The shutdown button said 'update and shutdown' instead of 'upgrade and shutdown')

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/introduction-to-windows-10-servicing

Sure, you can turn all this stuff off but in the end you'd need to install more patches.

In the end Microsoft is doing all this for a reason, why would they hand out (read force) their OS for free to their existing customers...
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:

In the end Microsoft is doing all this for a reason, why would they hand out (read force) their OS for free to their existing customers...
Microsoft probably wants to make sure that when they upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11, there won't be a repeat of the scenario where those with Windows 7 and 8.1 could opt out of the updates that would have forced them to upgrade to Windows 10. Like Microsoft wants FULL CONTROL of the Windows on everyone's computer.

I've completely come to distrust and especially DISLIKE Microsoft. Microsoft is dishonest - it gets away from license agreement that allowed me to choose my updates, by working out unique arrangements such as bundling all of the updates in one huge one, i.e. no more choice. Either one gets the updates including all of the junk updates one doesn't need in the one bundle, or one gets no updates anymore. Whether the updates conflict with one's computer or not. That's another dishonesty by the way. Microsoft is in cahoots with hardware manufacturers to ensure the OEM is always of their choice. Whether one needs the latest Windows bells and whistles or not.

For example, this thread just reminded me to check my updates, as I did get a reminder there were some updates. So when I looked there was one IMPORTANT update and one not important update. Which I've now after my negative experience with Microsoft trying to force me to upgrade to Windows 10 when I didn't want to, always question. I then looked up the update - KB3177723 and it has to do with Egypt Timezone. I'm not interested in Egypt Timezone. Also nowhere in the short description did it say it has to do with Egypt Timezone. Also, it has NOTHING to do with security. Like I'd have thought an important update should be of the variety that if one doesn't immediately install it that it will leave one's computer vulnerable for exploits. For me this update is NOT important. As it is, I chose to HIDE it.

As for the non important update KB3179573 - it looks more important than the important one. I didn't quite understand what it's supposed to do, so since it is not-important, opted not to install it:

Quote:
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

Improved performance on specific networks that have a high-bandwidth and low latency.
Addressed issue with users encountering a bugcheck, when trying to access a domain DFS namespace (for example, \\contoso.com\SYSVOL) on a computer that is configured to require mutual authentication (by using the UNC Hardened Access feature).

This problem may occur if the selected domain controller has security update KB3161561 installed, and if the SmbServerNameHardeningLevel registry entry is configured to a non-zero value on the domain controller.

For more info about how to get this update and a complete list of affected files, see KB3179573.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22801/windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-update-history
Josso
The nag screen I attempted to remove via the hotfix, registry and sys32 all without success. Had to wait for it to go away on its own. Also such a thing would have been completely socially unacceptable 10-15 years ago but cos MS does it, it's fine apparently.